Recommendation? Looking for belt sander or grinder, not sure which

It is taking too long with a flat or rotary sander to reduce and shape the scales on my projects. I think I need to upgrade to a more powerful tool.

What do y'all suggest? A grinder? A belt sander? I have never used either and I don't really have a feel for what each can do.

I was envisioning one of those 2" belt sanders with a wheel on the side but I am no expert.

What brands, which models, how much power, what diameter and width, and so on?

I would like to spend less than $300 on this.

Enclosed are some before and after photos of an example project.

Thanks for your advice, folks!

63fdd013-257b-4a54-af19-1674eec23589.jpg

df8b300c-5dfc-4729-82a9-89897b02cb26.jpg

da331af9-d542-4f04-a9f7-843314abe637.jpg
77b20c37-eb5c-43df-b000-31be58d38e34.jpg

I have and use this almost everyday for about a year now and I like it. Is it a 2x72 or as good as one? Heck no! But it does get the job done if your using the proper belts for the task. The Craftsman would be better because of the greater horsepower if you can find one.

Combat has the 2 by 42 belts.

Even the 4x36 wood sander varieties should work well and many also come with a disk. I use a 2x42 like the Amazon link above with no complaints. 60 grit aluminum oxide belts are cheap and will hog off your excess material at a reasonable rate. Beware of overheating the wood and pins though. Just a few seconds, then check the temperature with your hand before going back to grinding.

Dont forget eye protection, ear protection, and a mask with filters. Gloves are up to your preference. Some do not like gloves with rotary tools, and others want to avoid removing their skin. Depending on the type of wood, you may need to keep the dust off your skin as well. The dust will go everywhere...

It is taking too long with a flat or rotary sander to reduce and shape the scales on my projects. I think I need to upgrade to a more powerful tool.

What do y'all suggest? A grinder? A belt sander? I have never used either and I don't really have a feel for what each can do.

I was envisioning one of those 2" belt sanders with a wheel on the side but I am no expert.

What brands, which models, how much power, what diameter and width, and so on?

I would like to spend less than $300 on this.

Enclosed are some before and after photos of an example project.

Thanks for your advice, folks!

View attachment 1632225

View attachment 1632228

View attachment 1632229
View attachment 1632230
If I may to give you other option ......I forget when last time I used my belt grinders for work on handles .I have three big disc sander but all this handles on picture are done on this small disc sander .It is 1400 RPM 3/4 Hp three phase motor so i have reverse .Part on which is fixed that soft disk /for small angle grinder/ is shaft from old angle grinder .I just make adapter on shaft on motor and now i can change different disk /soft backing,hard backing one / Sandpaper i use is for auto body work shop , I took about twenty pieces in different grit size , all worn/used from my friend auto body shop to try them and never buy new one ...........this one i have work excellent for now ...I never have better sandpaper on my discs then this one for auto body work ... Most important this is so quiet so I can use it even in middle of night if i want .
If you use it only for small handles like on your picture i think this would work prefect for you .
8PcrAMn.jpg

kaBWP7j.jpg

teyQvrz.jpg

1x30 belts are not easily found in a lot of grits. But if that's what your budget allows. I'd try to save for a 1x42 or 2x42.
Agreed that more abrasive is better, but if you are looking for a wider selection of 1x30 Belts, I think Supergrit and Trugrit have a pretty decent selection that they keep in stock.

I started on a 1x30 and never used a 2x42 before I moved up to a 2x72 but I can say those little HF 1x30 are terrible. Files would have been much much better.

That isn't true, CD. Tru-Grit is right in your backyard.

Most major abrasive suppliers carry nearly all their grits in 1X30, 2X36, 2X42, 2X72,4X48, etc. Try Klingspor, Tru-Grit, VSM, etc..
Yup, TruGrit has a pretty great selection of 2x42 belts. I used a Craftsman 2x42 for about 6 years and it worked great, especially considering the price. Limited in power and has only one speed (fast AF), but it gets the job done. Much better than a 1x30 IMO. Bonus that it has a 6" disc grinder as well, which comes in handy.

Yup, TruGrit has a pretty great selection of 2x42 belts. I used a Craftsman 2x42 for about 6 years and it worked great, especially considering the price. Limited in power and has only one speed (fast AF), but it gets the job done. Much better than a 1x30 IMO. Bonus that it has a 6" disc grinder as well, which comes in handy.
I've been looking for that Craftsman grinder for a while. Discontinued and doesn't show up much at all used.

There is another much cheaper option that will make a quick work of it.
26baec54c45ba460f781fe656d53467e@2x.jpg

I started with the HF 1” sander, made a few knives with it. It is terrible for grinding steel, but quite reasonable for sanding wood (even large scale removal). I had no trouble locating a wide range of grits. It also is surprisingly good at dust removal (from the belt side, not the disk) if you connect a vacuum to the port. I would probably still use mine for the occasional sanding job(as opposed to my grinder), but I just don’t have space on my little bench to keep it 😔.

One of the problems with this kind of tool is the lack of variable speed, and thus the risk of burning wood. But I understand that is a budget issue….

Back