Recommendation? Looking for belt sander or grinder, not sure which

There is another much cheaper option that will make a quick work of it.
26baec54c45ba460f781fe656d53467e@2x.jpg

OT... why are files still usually sold with naked tangs? My shop teacher told us never to use them like that or else you'll end up driving a tang up your wrist.

OT... why are files still usually sold with naked tangs? My shop teacher told us never to use them like that or else you'll end up driving a tang up your wrist.
There are handles that they fit into. Then you take the handle off and put it on a different file. That way you don’t need a bunch of handled files taking up more room than necessary

I'm just getting set up to make knives. I have a forge and anvil, now looking at belt sanders and surface grinders. I have a line on an old Craftsman belt sander, 6 x 30". Is that too wide, too hard to control for knife making? Price $125.

The surface grinder is 12-14" (he's not sure). Would that be a good idea? Price on that is $500-600.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on these.

I'm just getting set up to make knives. I have a forge and anvil, now looking at belt sanders and surface grinders. I have a line on an old Craftsman belt sander, 6 x 30". Is that too wide, too hard to control for knife making? Price $125.

The surface grinder is 12-14" (he's not sure). Would that be a good idea? Price on that is $500-600.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on these.
The craftsman will get you going, but it's far from ideal. You really want a 2x72 with a VFD.

If you are just starting out, instead of the surface grinder you should put your funds towards a 2x72 belt grinder.

I've seen a lot of smaller or newer makers give good word on the Grizzly 2x72. Are they still a good option for the money? Ideally I someday want to get a fairly versatile one, but for starters I've had eyes on the Grizzly. Then again by that point you're already halfway to a decently better quality grinder.

If my Grizzly died today, I would order another one tomorrow. I also have a Pheer and a Hardcore grinder.

If my Grizzly died today, I would order another one tomorrow. I also have a Pheer and a Hardcore grinder.
Sweet. I think they'd be awesome for 90% of what you need to accomplish. I've heard good things about Pheer. A few other more affordable versatile 2x72s but the Grizzly is by far a winner since I've gotten into the hobby.

Last edited:
Back