Looking for best slicer pocket knife

I'm remaining silent . . . well until the second Opinel volley then I had to say : I want to see someone close a good size Opinel after it has had enough water on it to wash out blood etc., . . .
come on . . .
I want to see it !
better take an old sheath that it will fit into . . .
better yet just take a fixed; that is what they are for.
I'll shoot a pigeon this week, clean it and eat it with the Opinel I posted above, and report the results here. Stay tuned (be patient as I've cleared most of them out already).

Zieg

Reactions: AF
GEC 43 Oregon Trapper. Nice size and slices very well.

GEC%2B43%2BOregon%2BTrapper%2B-%2BCamel%2BBone%2Band%2BMicarta.jpg

for feild dressing deer
as in multiple deer ?
well that's specific . . . one pigeon
Which would we guess has the most visceral delights . . . deer(s) . . . a pigeon. . . deer(s) . . . a pigeon. Practically the same thing I suppose.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I would probably only do one at a time, two before sharpening if I get lucky in a day

I concur with Dean51 on the new Manly Wasp, small folder, thin bladed and S90v steel, waiting to try one out myself but knowing how the other Manly knives cut, I would not hesitate to give this one the nod for what you are looking for in a slicing folder.
G2

as in multiple dear ?

well that's specific . . . one pigeon
Which would we guess has the most visceral delights . . . deer(s) . . . a pigeon. . . deer(s) . . . a pigeon. Practically the same thing I suppose.
I'll kill as many as I can get if it makes you feel better, sweetie. As for deer, well, it's July. Remind me in November. In the meantime, keep up the good work. We love your comments.

[Edit: Oh, hey, I just realized. I've gutted countless fish with Opinels, both carbon and stainless. Water, fish guts, blood. Rabbits, too. In all cases the knives wash clean and open and fold afterwards just fine after as many as six or eight fish and three or four rabbits. I've also gardened with them, getting them gunked up with mulch, manure, potting soil, and plant matter. Again, wash, shake the excess water out, and back into the pocket. Now, I do live in Colorado, where humidity isn't an issue, so there is that.]

Zieg

Last edited:
The best slicers I have are large traditionals like the GEC #42, 43, or 23. Essentially something with at least a 3" blade.

No problem with field dressing a deer. Used a traditional for years for this.

=
I'm guessing I would probably only do one at a time, two before sharpening if I get lucky in a day
. . . er . . . hahahah . . . yes there it is
Listen to The Zieg and get the Opinel.
Post your experience.
PS: no fair modifying it; a knife should be usable out of the box maybe with a touch on a stone.
I Dooo look forward to your report (though I must confess to being a bit psychic today and seem to be able too see it all too clearly as I type this).
Good luck.
PS : and don't forget the sheath.

Now, I do live in Colorado, where humidity isn't an issue, so there is that.
. . . no . . . no there isn't that.
I am in Colorado right now and I just looked and the humidity is 81% because it is RAINING. If I had any one of my little sponges in my pocket and it got a little bit damp it would lock up so bad I wouldn't be able to get it open to clean anything . . . let alone closed after I soaked it in water.
Oh sure one can start in farting around trying to soak the poor things in oil and finish the job the factory should have done . . . better yet one can make the handle out of lignum vitae wood, that's that green stuff in the photo.
I'm just saying. It is most certainly not a user out of the box.
IMG_4212.jpg

it should be fully serrated for the entire length of the blade.

Oh heck no! You just try dressing game with serrations...LOL! What you want for slicing is thin.

I'll have to go with a traditional Trapper or Sodbuster. They're not my favorite patterns, but they work well on game (other than small upland stuff and birds. You want something slimmer for those.).

If you get the itch let me know. I have a GEC 71 Bullnose (a Sodbuster pattern) that I'd be willing to make a deal on.
XHDR6UP.jpg

My best slicer thats not a Spyderco is my rat 1. Full flat grind and the blade stock not too thick. Or my Esee Avispa. Which has the same attributes. They can be found in d2 steel and aus 8.

. . . no . . . no there isn't that.
I am in Colorado right now and I just looked and the humidity is 81% because it is RAINING. If I had any one of my little sponges in my pocket and it got a little bit damp it would lock up so bad I wouldn't be able to get it open to clean anything . . . let alone closed after I soaked it in water.
Oh sure one can start in farting around trying to soak the poor things in oil and finish the job the factory should have done . . . better yet one can make the handle out of lignum vitae wood, that's that green stuff in the photo.
I'm just saying. It is most certainly not a user out of the box.
View attachment 946820
OK. Thanks for this.

Zieg

Opinel. Choose your size. Yes it's useful to 'finish' the handle but for the price, it's really not that much bother.

While Opinel and GEC 43 are good in theory I don't think they're that great in practice as you can't disassemble them. I'd go delica or endura(or a Numbers of other spydies like the spydiechef) but you don't like spyderco. The Mercator that has been mentioned isn't that thin. I'd take a Look at the fox dragotac friction folder with synthetic scales if you're hell-bent on using a folder.

Back