Looking for budget EDC. <$30

I've been looking at these Ganzo made knives. They seem to be better than the Chinese made stuff from US companies costing many times more for the brand name.

Ganzo does have some interesting stuff.. their Autos are nice for the price.
However how do you know what steel is used??
It's hit or miss with alot of Chinese knife steel in lower priced products.
Ganzo also has a rep for knock off, so some folks avoid them for that reason.
I'm more concerned with the Steel.
If you need quality steel and a good HT, I would avoid them.

warning for language.
Are you sharing your account with an evil twin?

They're not really knock offs though when they offer combinations you do not get from someone else. Like a Spyderco with an axis lock. But if Spyderco isn't going to offer realistic competition under $50, then fuck em. Their Tenacious is Chinese anyway.

Ganzo does have some interesting stuff.. their Autos are nice for the price.
However how do you know what steel is used??
It's hit or miss with alot of Chinese knife steel in lower priced products.
Ganzo also has a rep for knock off, so some folks avoid them for that reason.
I'm more concerned with the Steel.
If you need quality steel and a good HT, I would avoid them.

Well all their knives are 440c HRC 58-60, and looking at cutting tests people have done with them they have way better edge retention than 420, AUS8, 8CR, etc. Ruike seems to be a good low budget brand. They use 14C28N.

They're not really knock offs though when they offer combinations you do not get from someone else. Like a Spyderco with an axis lock. But if Spyderco isn't going to offer realistic competition under $50, then f**k em. Their Tenacious is Chinese anyway.

I'm not a fan of Spyderco.
I know they are one of the darlings of BF, but I'm not a fan of blades with a hole in them.

I do find them a bit awkward to use, probably because I am so used to thumb studs, but I also don't like thumb studs when they are put in the wrong position like a lot of people do. I do like flippers, but not the assisted ones that NEED that assist to open reliably. That could be why I am started to like the Ruike more and more. It's an unassisted flipper on ball bearings, and I really prefer a flat grind for a general purpose cutting tool. I really want to like the US made Kershaws, I really do, but I don't know if I can get past the assist, and the frailty that seems to come with that spring, and how much those knives rely on it.

The Ruike P801 last I checked was $30 from almost everywhere, has good feedback on action which I can personally confirm, slim, solid, and the 14C28N blade steel is excellent. Being a good looking knife with FFG helps too.

I like it, and frankly one of the reasons I can't bring myself to buying a lot of the Kershaws is the blade shape. I hate the tacticool designer blade shapes. Wth is wrong with a standard drop point shape? And I like the stainless steel, especially for food prep.

One warning issued for language.
Learn to express yourself without the foul language.

I was looking more at the cheap Chinese made knives and the quality is surprisingly up there. I do not like any of their knockoff designs because I would buy one of those knives if I did, but I like that they offer some options you don't usually get. Two Eafengrow models, the EF3 and EF223 (one an axis lock, the other a flipper with a very thick frame lock) both seem solidly built, well made, full flat grinds, and D2 steel blades. The Eafengrow EF3 seems to have 3 locking points too. The axis lock, the thumbstud against the steel liners, and a stop pin that the blade rests against. This would be a VERY strong knife for the price.

The quirkiness of the Opinel knife is matched only by the Citroen 2CV. A jack knife of a car if there ever was one. Both designed with French farmers in mind.

Years ago, my girlfriend in Brussels had one. The shifter placement was a bit weird, but it was a fun little car.

Hmm, I am not entirely sure all the knives I have been looking at would even be legal here, the law is so vague it's ridiculous.

Hmm, I am not entirely sure all the knives I have been looking at would even be legal here, the law is so vague it's ridiculous.

That's one reason I love living in rural Georgia.
Blades of all kinds are loved here.

I can carry a dagger if I choose.
And I rarely dag anything.

I live in a rural area two, but in a pretty scummy state where vague laws and a lack of representation are the norm.

I live in a rural area two, but in a pretty scummy state where vague laws and a lack of representation are the norm.

I totally understand.
I lived in So California for several years.
One town your EDC folder is totally legal, the next one, carrying it is a felony.
Bizzaro land knife laws.

Nah, I'm not ordering any of the Ganzo stuff, It looks like a nice deal, but if I get something like a Spyderco, I'll get an actual Spyderco.

Last edited:
I am about to place an order for an Opinel. I will start out by using it for food prep, cutting smaller things that my main kitchen knife is a bit too big for and maybe just being a general purpose food prep tool. So, any particular size suggestion? I am thinking of getting the No 8.

I like the#8 garden knife in a spear point, I think the 8 also comes in a slim version too. The 8 is a favorite here.

Years ago, my girlfriend in Brussels had one. The shifter placement was a bit weird, but it was a fun little car.

As odd as the Citroen is, Jay Leno did a cool review of the car on Jay Leno's Garage.

Back