Looking for design input on resin bond diamond bench stones

I’m glad that this thread exist. Very cool.
For me 6” x 2” will be the good size because it will be big enough for my folding knives and “cheap” enough for me to buy some. For almost the same price it will give me 4 stones 6” x 2” compare to 3 stones 8” x 2”. It all depends of the needs, of course, but it will give people with budget restriction the opportunity to have a more complete set of high end sharpening stones.
8” x 3” ( or 4” ) necessary for a lot of people.
I’m all for a high end stand for the stones.
I think that double sided stones can make a lot of sense for a lot of people. Cost effective, take less space for those who are living in tiny spaces or if you want to take your stones with you for whatever reasons...
For the contamination I think you need to make another type of stand for it. A stand where the bottom side of the stone don’t touch anything when on it. The plate between the two stones could be slightly larger and longer than the stones and it would be that part that touch the stand With a little gap still under the stone. Hard for me to explain in English. You could even make a box of it with a case that come over it when not in use. I think you get the idea. Now I don’t know if you can do that while still being cost effective. Don’t get me wrong when I talk about the cost. I completely understand that high end stuff come with a price and it worth it. Nothing wrong at all with that. And I know you do that by yourself so as much as I can, I’ll gladly pay for that. But again, being on a budget, if there is an option allowing me to have a more complete set for almost the same amount of money then I go for it even if there is some drawbacks.
Anyway, I hope you got my point and don’t feel disrespected.

First and foremost I am open to ideas. I want to add to the list of things I make to sell and am open to any ideas. They may not all fit my operation or be economically feasible but I will be open to them. The balance of cost and value is a big grey area. My philosophy is to make the best value product as cheaply as possible.

As for a double-sided stone. The only two items about it that make sense right now are it would be more compact for travel and the cost of anodizing the body would be much less, about the same price as a single-sided body. The savings in aluminum are pretty minimal and offset by the fact that I would have to add an operation to engrave the sides of the bodies vs the backs on single-sided stones so I think that one double-sided stone would cost about the same as two single-sided stones, manufactured in equal volumes. To be honest the volumes we are talking about here are low, which is why it is a good fit for someone working from home. If the volume of double-sided stones is much lower then that will negatively affect price, and I will also have to make a separate version of stone holder to go with the stones. I am not saying I won't do it but it is going to be higher hanging fruit. If/when I can lower the cost of applying the diamond and resin mixture to the stones the cost-benefit of a double-sided stone will improve. For now, my plan is to get the full range of single-sided stones in production, then closely followed with the stone holders to support their use, although you won't have to have them, which will include some stone holders for non-guided use of the EP style mounted stones.

And now I need to get to work.

Last edited:
I have used the Diamond Matrix stones with a guided system, and they are impressive. Having just gotten into freehand sharpening I would love to test drive a pass-around set of the bench stones when they come out as well!

One detail I think *might* be nice is to have slightly sharper edges on the bench stones. Since these will work great on the high Vanadium steels (and also since I'm more than a little OCD), having a sharper edge that can clean up the dead spot on the plunge grind on the Spyderco's would be great. I currently use a diamond plate, but it would be nice to be able to cut that with the same grit (and at the same time) as the stone that's being used on the entire edge, especially since your stones are designed to work with very little pressure. ;):thumbsup:

Just a thought...

Hi David,

Just checking in. I want a set of diamond or CBN stones and am not thrilled with the options out there. BBB had some great looking CBN stones that I missed out on. Understand you can't give dates for having these done.

Matrix stones today and tomorrow then back to my bench stones for about 10 days, which may be enough to get some sizes ready to mold!!!!! What sizes and grits are you wanting?

Matrix stones today and tomorrow then back to my bench stones for about 10 days, which may be enough to get some sizes ready to mold!!!!! What sizes and grits are you wanting?
8 x 3 inches is my preference, only because that's what I'm used to for bench stones. My Choseras appear to be 8.25 2.75". I would consider 8x2 as well.

I "think" I will be molding them in the next 2 weeks, but thought the same thing a month ago. If this was a walking journey it would be like walking through sand dunes while getting hit by a car three times, the last time a month ago. The new tooling did pass all tests last Sunday so I shouldn't have any more problems. I have quite a few bodies for all grits in each of the 4 sizes made so all that is left is to mold them and make the website. I purchased the domain name back in June so I knew what to engrave on the bodies but haven't done anything with it yet, so don't bother going there. Here are some photos of the bodies. The undercuts on the ends are for the machined aluminum holders with spring-loaded ends caps that I will be making for them. Not so important for the bigger stones but more so for the 1x4 stones, and a version for EP style mounted stones. Even without the holder the dovetails give your fingers something to grip the 1x4 stones if you like holding them that way, which is the way and size of stone I learned how to sharpen with. Anyway, once I get them done and ready to sell I will announce it here and on my YouTube channel. I won't have the holders ready to sell yet but I will show what prototypes I have made so far, the design hasn't changed much at all so I just need the time to make a small batch to see what everyone thinks.

Sizes are 3x8, 2x8, 2x6, 1/2" thick and 1x4 5/16" thick. Grits are 160, 80, 40, 20, 10, 5 micron. The first, second, and finest are identical to the EP 80, 250, and 4K stones with the middle three slightly adjusted. The resin, diamond concentration, and process are identical to the Matrix stones.

Bench.jpg

Bench-Ends.jpg

I reached another milestone so an update is warranted, all of the first batch are done and ready to go, which is multiples of 24 different parts. Now I just need to make the website, set up an email account, and get some 240 grit Alox. Here are some photos.

Resin-Bond-Diamond-Bench-Stones-2.jpg

Most of the 2x6 and larger stones.

Resin-Bond-Diamond-Bench-Stones-1.jpg

Most of the 1x4 stones.

Resin-Bond-Diamond-Bench-Stones-3.jpg

Here is a holder I have been working on. This version is for the EP style blanks but it doesn't change much for my 4" stones. This back burner project will be next to get into production now that the stones are there.

Holder-1.jpg

Being a prototype there are extra holes to help figure out what is wanted.

Holder-2.jpg

Last edited:
I reached another milestone so an update is warranted, all of the first batch are done and ready to go, which is multiples of 24 different parts. Now I just need to make the website, set up an email account, and get some 240 grit Alox. Here are some photos.

Resin-Bond-Diamond-Bench-Stones-2.jpg

Most of the 2x6 and larger stones.

Resin-Bond-Diamond-Bench-Stones-1.jpg

Most of the 1x4 stones.

Resin-Bond-Diamond-Bench-Stones-3.jpg

Here is a holder I have been working on. This version is for the EP style blanks but it doesn't change much for my 4" stones. This back burner project will be next to get into production now that the stones are there.

Holder-1.jpg

Being a prototype there are extra holes to help figure out what is wanted.

Holder-2.jpg
All the image links are broken for me

All the image links are broken for me

MINE TOO!

It's weird, but I can see the images in the email notifications I get, and on my phone, but not on my computer.

I went through the thread again and I can see all the other images just fine. These show up as broken links though.

Looks like it's not a computer issue at all!

Well that sucks! I can see them fine. Of course, they are hosted off-site but the host is my old website so there shouldn't be any funny business there. CGSW.US is working but all it has is the top photo on it, I will get the others up in the next 30 minutes if you want to go there. I don't have the SSL certificate installed yet so you may get a threat notification but it is safe to visit.

I added the photos to my web page and changed the host on the top photo. It should now be 25 pixels narrower than the other photos. Did it make a difference for viewing?

Last edited:
I still don't see them on my PC, but I can view them on my phone :thumbsup: . (Thanks for that tip, Glock Guy) Website works fine, too.

What browsers on your PCs that you can't see them on? I am using Firefox and will look at the other ones I have.

Edge viewed fine, Chrome didn't. If you right mouse click the

Last edited:
Back