Looking for feedback

So, someone recently gave me a 3.5 lb. Hults Bruk axe head. It’s cold stamped and the stamp is fairly deep set, so I believe it’s post 1988. The head is in fantastic shape with very little mushrooming and the original profile. I’m going to restore it, but won’t sell it. It’s going to be my keeper for felling.

Here’s my question: I have 3 handles in the shop. Which would you choose for a keeper?
1.) A 32” with a nice throat and a good sized swell (will finish out at 30 1/2”)
2.) A 36” with a nice throat and a good sized swell (will finish out at 32 1/2”)
3.) A 36” straight handle (should finish out at 34”)

Also, where do you prefer your balance point? I’m looking at 2 1/2” to 3” down from the shoulder. What do you prefer?

So, someone recently gave me a 3.5 lb. Hults Bruk axe head. It’s cold stamped and the stamp is fairly deep set, so I believe it’s post 1988. The head is in fantastic shape with very little mushrooming and the original profile. I’m going to restore it, but won’t sell it. It’s going to be my keeper for felling.

Here’s my question: I have 3 handles in the shop. Which would you choose for a keeper?
1.) A 32” with a nice throat and a good sized swell (will finish out at 30 1/2”)
2.) A 36” with a nice throat and a good sized swell (will finish out at 32 1/2”)
3.) A 36” straight handle (should finish out at 34”)

Also, where do you prefer your balance point? I’m looking at 2 1/2” to 3” down from the shoulder. What do you prefer?
which pattern? arvika or ontario?

Good question. I’m guessing Ontario, as I believe Arvika is a racing axe. I am trying to add a photo, but obviously something has changed for uploading photos since I was last here.

I'm not a very tall guy, so I like a shorter haft in general. I have a 3.5lb beater axe on a 32" haft and it's a good match. Option #1 here. Happy hangin'!

Nice job! I'm definitely looking for Hults heads that size and larger. Time to renew that search. I'm sure you'll enjoy putting that one to use.

Back