Looking for info on Elton Misner - Update added

Jsega51

Gold Member
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find some information regarding Elton Misner. He's a part time knifemaker from Raleigh, NC and from what I've found, he seems to be relatively unknown. He makes what looks to be very nice Loveless style knives. The only place I've seen his work for sale is on Knife Purveyor and I have reached out to them with no reply.

Are any of you aware of Elton's work? I've even tried searching for his name through knife guild registries and he doesn't seem to belong to any chapters. Figured this would be the place, maybe other knifemakers know him from shows and could pass on some info about his quality.

Thanks! (Lorien, thank you for letting me know that I could post this here!)

call Michael Donato at knifepurveyor.com
I see you tried to reach out to them however.
In April, Michael was telling me about Elton's work.
try calling Michael

Have you tried Googling "Elton Misner North Carolina"

info does come up

Have you tried Googling "Elton Misner North Carolina"

info does come up

Correct, nothing about his knives or quality of work though. I'm not looking for his contact info or info about his contractor business.

Mike Donato has told me before that his work is good but other than the man selling his knives, no one knows about him it seems, that's why I'm asking here. I find it hard to plop down $1k for a knife when there's literally no reviews or info about his work.

You want to know about a man?

Talk to him, that will tell you far more then second hand information

well I guess if you are looking for review type info and other info about the maker, I don't know,
but if you want to see the knife, you get 5 days to look at it and can return if you don't like it.

I do understand what you are saying, I probed Michael about Elton as well.

You want to know about a man?

Talk to him, that will tell you far more then second hand information

I want to know about his craftsmanship and how nice his knives are. It's easy to look up info on well respected Loveless style makers such as Steve Johnson, John Young, Marcus Lin, W.C. Davis, etc, etc.

I don't understand why you're having a hard time understanding what I'd like to know but it's apparent that you have none of the info that I'm looking for. I appreciate the responses however.

Harbeer, I don't normally just buy knives blindly to check them out but it may be the only way. If you ever decide to check one out or catch up with Mike at a show and he has some of Misner's knives, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Harbeer, I don't normally just buy knives blindly to check them out but it may be the only way. If you ever decide to check one out or catch up with Mike at a show and he has some of Misner's knives, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Jacob, You are a week late, I just saw Mike this past weekend at a show, I don't think I will see him for another year....
I don't think it's a big deal, your max risk is $30 in shipping and this is Mike's business in being a purveyor. You have a serious interest and getting one in your hands is the only satisfying way I know.
That's what a purveyor does, that's the service they provide.

I did meet Mitch Jenkins and he was good to talk with
FWIW the best execution knife I ever had in my collection was my Caper/Finn from Marcus Lin. He convinced me to get red micarta which I don't really care for but it was stunning.
I've also had lunch with Marcus recently and that was pretty cool.

0be5beb07981d31fe71074c54dcdbb9f.jpg

I am not having a hard time at all. I just know speaking to a maker can teach you something pictures and others can not about him.

Speaking to such makers in the past from personal experience is so much more valuable then what pictures and others have to say.

Harbeer...you've sent me that picture before, and I think I've been waiting for a Lin knife to come available since then!

Avigil, I understand what you're saying. However, a maker could be the king of knives in his own mind. The reservation that I'm having just buying a knife of his is that they're only sold from one person, and there's literally no information whatsoever pertaining to his "career" as a knife maker. We're on this forum to talk about knives, makers, processes, etc. That's why I came here. That's why I posted this thread. To get information that doesn't seem to exist anywhere else on the net. I figured if he was quietly known between other makers, maybe they'd be able to step up and provide some info. I trust a lot of their opinions just as much as if it came from the man himself. If everything jived, then it's safe to assume that his work is great (or poor on the flip side).

Who knows, maybe they're the best kept secret! (Don't tell anyone).

Jake, this is the first time I've ever heard his name and the forum reveals no posts about him at all.

You are right: He's a well-kept secret.

That Michael Donato would purchase from him, is confidence in itself. Michael is from NC?

I'm guessing YOU are going to be the trailblazer here. At Michael's and shipping costs risk.

Now, what Adam mentions is key: Talking to, and befriending this maker. Any long time collector/user understands the added value of character. It's not built into the knife, but it's a solid reminder. Only one way to experience this, and it's a handshake or a phone call.

Good thread. I look forward to knowing more.

Coop

PS: Harbeer, next time I'm in CA set up a date with Marcus you and me. I'd LOVE to shake HIS hand!. :)

Thank you for the mention Jake and Harbeer. :thumbup:

It looks like Elton makes a fine knife.

Would like to meet you too someday Coop. :)

It’s been a year since I started this thread so it’s time for an update:

Previously, as AVigil AVigil pointed out, it’s easy to find out about a maker by simply calling them up and speaking to them. Well, after starting this thread, I tried. I called every phone number I could find regarding Elton Misner. None of the numbers worked as they were no longer operating numbers. All dead ends.

I contacted Mike at Knife Purveyor to see if he could shed some light and get me in contact with Elton. Well, as he had done previously, he spoke about Elton, mostly about how he’s been into making knives since the 70’s, has been to the Loveless shop to receive guidance from Bob and Jim, and is still striving to make a very fine knife. When asked about contact info though, I was told by Mike that he is the one dealing with Elton and Elton’s knives, but if there was a build that I’d like to request, he could see what could be done. Not sure if Mike saw it as an attempt to undercut his business but I was upfront that the intention wasn’t there. I was simply looking to talk with Elton about his knives. Another dead end.

Fast forward. The Loveless style Semi-Skinner I was interested in was still available so I decided to purchase it. I hadn’t stopped looking at it every now and then over the last year, just to see that it was still there, but also half hoping that someone would buy it and possibly end my torment! (LOL).

I love the knife! Elton’s fit and finish on this knife is superb and the contouring of the handle melts to your hand. The proportions of the knife are slightly larger (mostly in height) but the overall profile is very close in dimensions to my Loveless Semi-Skinner. The guard is finely soldered and it’s seamless along the spine and bottom of the tang, almost looking integral, with only a very faint line distinguishing the two separate parts. The scales are a nice deep black linen micarta with thin red liners that really pop. Buffed to a high shine, it presents a very classy look to match the blade which is also polished to a high gloss mirror shine allowing the maker mark to stand out prominently.

Every aspect of this knife is smooth with the edge being the only thing your hand wouldn’t want to explore.

Which brings me to the one negative that I could find (or that mattered to me). The edge was a little uneven. Sharp in the middle 1/3rd of the blade but very thick at the rear (primary grind is a touch thick back there also) and slightly uneven at the front causing a rounded and dulled tip. The strict collector may not care that much about the actual cutting edge but I bought this knife to use, so after a some work, I was able to even out the edge grind from front to back, give the knife a nice sharp pointed tip, and put on a nice toothy hair shaving edge that should make short work of field dressing the next deer I shoot. I tried to copy the same toothy edge that I have on a handmade DPH from Bob Dozier and I think I got pretty darn close with it.

I must comment on the sheath as well. The leather work is classic Loveless style, very nicely done, hand drilled and stitched with the built in cam to lock the knife in solid. The leather is the perfect weight to retain shape and provide the necessary rigidity to stand up to use. It’s also nicely colored and it’s really going to look great with some handling marks.

If anyone has any questions that they’d like me to answer about the knife or if you’d like any additional pictures, feel free to post here or send me a message!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find some information regarding Elton Misner. He's a part time knifemaker from Raleigh, NC and from what I've found, he seems to be relatively unknown. He makes what looks to be very nice Loveless style knives. The only place I've seen his work for sale is on Knife Purveyor and I have reached out to them with no reply.

Are any of you aware of Elton's work? I've even tried searching for his name through knife guild registries and he doesn't seem to belong to any chapters. Figured this would be the place, maybe other knifemakers know him from shows and could pass on some info about his quality.

I know Elton. He makes grest knives. He is in his 70s. He has been at it a long time. He has had some sell for 5k and I think even up to 15k. Never seen z y that looked any better. Good luck trying to see him one in person. I dont think he is into one on one meetings for somebody to sell one knife to. He is more into wholesa

I know Elton. He makes great knives. He is in his 70s. He has been at it a long time. He has had some sell for 5k and I think even up to 15k. Never seen any that looked any better. Good luck trying to see him in person. I dont think he is into one on one meetings for a one knife sale. He wholesales to retailers I think

Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

Hello Jsega51, This is Elton the knife maker, and i would gladly talk over the phone with you (919)669-3866

Hello Jsega51, This is Elton the knife maker

Wow, awesome. Thank you for joining to reach out! I will be sure to give you a call tomorrow, I would love to talk with you.

Feel free to edit out your number if you don’t want to keep it public :thumbsup:

Back