Looking for Micarta Mora #1

burddogg

Gold Member
I really enjoy my little Mora #1 and #2 (bigger handle fits my hands better) and was hoping someone knew of a maker who has created a knife very similar to the Mora #1 with a micarta handle, full tang, thin stock, and sheath system. I like my Koster Bushcraft and Blind Horse Scandis just fine, but I still always end up carrying my Mora #1 around my neck. For a $10 knife the Mora #1 really excels in the bush for light chores.

I'm asking Bryan Breeden if he could help, and I thought the WSS team could suggest another maker or knife already in existence? Thank you again,

burddogg

You could just get a Mora #1 or #2 blade and a block of micarta and do it yourself. Probably the easiest and cheapest way.

You could just get a Mora #1 or #2 blade and a block of micarta and do it yourself. Probably the easiest and cheapest way.

I could certainly try, but there are a lot of talented makers out there. I'd rather have some nice craftsmanship and support a knife-maker member. I'm surprised my search has yield little results.

There was a guy on ebay that was selling a lot of scandinavian type knives a few weeks ago. I believe he was in germany, so you'd be paying for shipping and having a longer wait, but he had stuff from several different makers and the prices really weren't that bad at all. I don't remember his name though.

Don't know about the quality but they looked good in the pics and most of the blades were listed as 440C, VG-10, and O-1, IIRC.

Doug of DP knives made a full tang knife to mora specs for me (with wooden handles) but he works in micarta as well. and his prices are great.

This little 3/32" knife was part Mora inspired, part Terrasaur inspired.

IMG_5167.jpg

I love it because I always have it. So thin and light, yet long enough to baton and prep kindling with.

B

There have been plenty of mention in these forums of custom makers that do nice full tang scandi knives. I haven't made a note of each because if I pay too much attention my bank balance suffers. I can't remember if any have been Micarta, but I remember some nice polished wood ones. I doubt that those talented makers would have that much trouble making micarta scales if they can do it with wood.

Email sent Brian,
That's more what I'm looking for. thank you,

burddogg

Mark Wohlwend is thinking of making a full tang knife similar to a Mora, ie nice and thin.
He is also going to try and keep the price within everyones reach, he recently made some Bushcrafters for less than $100 !

Would many people still be interested in a knife such as this ?

I remember Barberfobic (Brendan Gausvik?) rehandled a mora 2000 in micarta a while back. It just looked like it wants to be used. He might do other blades, I don't know.

Did a quick search and here's the thread.

I've never been much of a Mora fan, but that one looks awesome. Takes the knife to a whole new level!

A good friend made a custom handled Laplander recently. Here is a pic:

100MEDIA95IMAG0007.jpg

The pic doesn't do it justice - it looks amazing in person. The scales are a deep burgundy/maroon color. It feels great in the hand too.

I can put you in contact with him if you're interested.

E.T.A. - He also makes kydex sheaths. He could hook you up with that too.

Last edited:
Back