Looking for Mini Mill Suggestions

JRB Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Anyone have a suggestion for a mini mill? Preferably one that has a digital readout for measuring movement on 3 axis? Not looking to break the bank though!

Thanks so much!!

I just recently bought the high-torque mini mill from little machine shop. I love it! I think the digital read outs need to be bought and installed separately on all of the mini mills....

Yea, I was afraid of that. Looks like I'll have to buy and add that separately. Thanks!

I just recently bought the high-torque mini mill from little machine shop. I love it! I think the digital read outs need to be bought and installed separately on all of the mini mills....

Most of those seem to be sold out! Darn.

I plan on getting one this year too
Other places that sell mini mills are grizzly tools and harbor freight

I have the Precision Matthews PM-25MV and really like it. Mine didn't come with DROs, but I will probably add them at some point.

Just to add something to chew on...

For what a lot of these new mini mills cost you could very likely find a used Bridgeport or other full sized knee mill. Shop around enough, and you may even find one that already has a DRO, vise, tooling, etc... I'll bet Pennsylvania still has a ton of used machine tools.

I know a lot of guys claim space as an issue, but the reality is that by the time you factor in work bench or pedestal space for a benchtop mill, a full sized knee mill really isn't that much more room. Maybe an extra foot or two to the left or right, and a few inches in the front.

If it's a 3 phase machine, you can run it off a $60 VFD (assuming you have 220 available), or you can retrofit a 110V motor.

Caveats: Yes, they are heavy and a pain to move, but you only have to move it once. Some sellers may even be able to deliver the machine, or split the fee with you.
Yes, tooling can be more expensive in the long run (larger vises, collets, etc...) but most of it will be comparable.

I purchased my knee mill from a machinery re-seller about 3 hours away for $1500 to my door. They loaded it on a pallet and used a drop gate and a pallet jack to put it in the corner of my garage (after tilting the head down of course). It didn't have a DRO (I added later for $300), but it did have x and y power feeds.
I couldn't imagine having a smaller mill at this point, and there are times I actually wish it were bigger. YMMV.

No matter what you end up going with, do make sure to plan on spending around the same amount on tooling as you do on your mill. (indicators, vises, collets, mills and cutters, parallels, edge and center finders, v-blocks, etc...)

regarding the mini mills like Harbor Freight, little machine shop, Seig X2 ish machines. Do they come apart in separate pieces for easier one-person carry down sketchy steps to a basement shop?

regarding the mini mills like Harbor Freight, little machine shop, Seig X2 ish machines. Do they come apart in separate pieces for easier one-person carry down sketchy steps to a basement shop?

They do. In fact they should probably be taken apart if only to clean and deburr mating surfaces.

my grizzly 0781 is 160 lbs, i weigh 140. i hired a big person to carry it :) if it comes apart, the upright section will probably still weigh over 100 :(

Thanks for all the information! I have some research to do now!

my grizzly 0781 is 160 lbs, i weigh 140. i hired a big person to carry it :) if it comes apart, the upright section will probably still weigh over 100 :(
Yeah .. my mini mill weighs something like 130. I asked a neighbor to help me get it down the stairs (on a dolly, one step at a time), and lifted onto my work bench. Turns out he lifts weights ... for that final lift I did not need to touch it ... and he came nowhere near straining or breaking a sweat......

Don't discount the American made Taig and Sherline mills.
Very high quality.

Those Sherline Mills look very interesting....

Looks like you can get one with factory digital readouts too

Last edited:
I have a Taig and is pretty rigid for such a small machine.
It all depends on how you use it.

I'll use it mainly for milling folding knife parts etc... Nothing too big. As long as I can bolt it down to my work bench, it should be sturdy enough for that huh?

Back