Looking for my First Benchmade

Lenny

Gold Member
Well, first modern one.
I owned an AFCK and a Griptilian a million years ago so I don't count them.
Lately, I've been into smaller knives.
So, the 2 knives on my radar are the Mini Freek and the Mini Bugout.
Which would you recommend?
Are there special editions of each?
If so, would you recommend one of them over the plain Jane version?
Which is more comfy in the hand, the better slicer, stronger tip.
Anything else you can add would be greatly appreciated.
Finally, is there another small Benchmade that you can recommend over these 2?
Thanks all,
Lenny

I have both and here are my thoughts:
I have the jade G10 mini freek and the scales are on the smoother side, but chunky so it feels more ergonomic in hand. S90V is good to go and the axis on this one is pretty smooth, smoother than my super freek but not as smooth as 943.

The bugout scales in the plastic feels...insubstantial? Hard to describe, but mainly because it's much flatter. However weight wise its unbeatable, I once had it in my gym shorts and totally forgot it was there for a week. Cant comment on the other types, like the new CF, CF-elite, aluminum ones. Bugout is also a little slicier and lighter duty than the mini freek.

I think it really comes to price, one is about half the price of the other!

If you dont mind spending, check out the in between, the 940 mini, and if you want the ultimate mini-beef try the mini-adamas. I heard good things about the mini-Presidio but dont have one.

Personally, I'd get the hogue deka over the either lol (dont hate) good luck friend.

Edit: forgot to add, I also have the diamond pattern G10 full sized bugout with the 20CV...that one is really slippery in my hand but pockets better...but kind of overpriced. I think the coated one is still in stock at glade BQ.

Regular size Osborne is pretty small. That mini freak was tiny in my small hands. The 940 series vs. Bugout is a classic battle of 2 great blades. The 940 won my heart.

I have the 940
Well, first modern one.
Finally, is there another small Benchmade that you can recommend over these 2?
Thanks all,
Lenny[/QUOT
Well, first modern one.
Finally, is there another small Benchmade that you can recommend over

I have the 940mini it is very small though keep it when around the house. I have mini freek jade limited edition, its nice and beefy however more of a collectible, ive seen amazing reviews on mini freek carbon fiber. Is go mini freek if you want it to do some work, 940 mini if want sleek small tasks.

I have a 565-1, it’s the carbon fiber S90V mini freek. The carbon fiber scales are some of the best I have seen on a Benchmade. The action, centering, and blade grid is spot on. The only down side is that for my XL glove size hand it is too small. I would look at the new 535-3, it is a little bigger, but much slimmer in the pocket and same steel and carbon fiber. I would also look at the 940-1 again same steel and carbon fiber. Of the three, the 940-1 is my favorite. Slim in the pocket, great action, and well balanced. The 945BK-1 is also a mini, but is currently only available in G10 and S30V. S30V is a good EDC steel, but will take a little more care than S90V. It also has the most cramped handle of the four. Enjoy your hunt.

JonesE

Last edited:
Get both!
IMG_4664_1024x1024@2x.JPG

rs=w:600,h:600

I know the Bug Out series has been a huge commercial success, but I don't think it represents what Benchmade is to me. I'd pick the Mini Freek or a 940/043 Osborne, 575-1 Mini Presidio II, 585-2 Mini Barrage, 531 Pardue, etc.

I've had several BM knives over the years. Barrage, Mini Barrage (MIA somewhere in the yard), Griptilian and Violi. I recently acquired a green anodized 940. Totally impressed with the knife and how much easier it is to pocket carry it and with it's lighter weight than any of the other full sized knives. All without giving up much in blade length and nothing in strength or cutting ability. Highly recommended.

940. Effortless to carry. Tough. Lots of blade. Thin. Light. Always come back to it.

Back