Looking for recommendations Mule Deer

Brian77

Gold Member
Is it proper or acceptable to ask for recommendations on this sub forum?

My son and I have never hunted for mule deer. We are looking to travel pulling a camper, set up at a camp ground or on private property with permission, scout and hunt with rifles, for a week to 10 days.

States we would consider. Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, etc. Would need to purchase the license by drawing or Over the counter... We are looking to plan ahead for Sept of 2018.

Hiking and covering ground is okay. We could bring our own pack horse if needed.

You might try consulting a guide service in your chosen state(s). Many of them offer (allow) self-guided hunts on private property, and most of the reputable outfitters will have premium areas to hunt. Just my $.02.

I have heard a number of stories about guide services that are not legitimate. If anyone has had a positive experience using someone, that would be helpful if you would be okay passing on a good recommendation.... PM is fine also. The internet is a big place and websites are not always the real picture.

New Mexico is 100% draw only and does not have a points system. Non residents have super shitty odds at decent zones. Although you could probably purchase a landowner tag. NMFG could give you direction on that though. I think the drawing is in March. You could put in there and if you don't draw go over the counter in one of your other states listed.

If you want a guide NMFG has a list of licensed guides with contact info. Call guides ask for references (not one but many) and contact them. Don't settle on the first one that sounds good...call many. This advice goes for all states and their guides.

Ok
If you want a guide NMFG has a list of licensed guides with contact info. Call guides ask for references (not one but many) and contact them. Don't settle on the first one that sounds good...call many. This advice goes for all states and their guides.
Okay thanks. I am hoping to find a couple people that have actually used a guide that they can recommend. I don't know anyone personally that has done that. I am trying to find some local Safari Club Intl. Members and ask them for recommendations. I used to work for a member.

Some states will require guides but not all ... Cabelas actually has alot of guides you can look through and contact and you can rest assured they would be reputable.

Also try contacting the DNR in the state you are looking to hunt they will most likely give you good reccomendations for guides.

And good luck with the hunt ... that time with your son is amazing to share.

Without a lot of knowledge of the area that might be hunted, I would also suggest a guide. That's what I would do.

I believe Montana is all draw for non-resident Brian. If you end up headed there shoot me a PM. I'm not much help on the other states you listed, although the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming always looked good to me.

Is it proper or acceptable to ask for recommendations on this sub forum?

My son and I have never hunted for mule deer. We are looking to travel pulling a camper, set up at a camp ground or on private property with permission, scout and hunt with rifles, for a week to 10 days.

States we would consider. Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, etc. Would need to purchase the license by drawing or Over the counter... We are looking to plan ahead for Sept of 2018.

Hiking and covering ground is okay. We could bring our own pack horse if needed.

I am a Colorado resident and hunt mule deer here every year, but if I could afford a non-resident tag I would be hunting in Wyoming. It would be pretty easy for you to go on a do it yourself hunt out here in CO, look at unit 19, it's a big unit with plenty of area and options to set-up camp and hunt out of and you can be fairly close to town. I've never used an outfitter, but if I were to hire one it would be these guys, http://pineypeakoutfitters.com/about.html, they get to outfit on one of the most beautiful places I know of. Let me know if you have any other questions. Brad.

Back