1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for some help

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Onebigbill, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone out there tell me about this knife? Quality, etc.

2. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    That is from schatt&morgan, the upper tier of the now defunct Queen Cutlery. And upper tier is probably a loose term for those familiar with the later work of Queen Cutlery. It is likely from post Bill Howard's departure but before the closing and final parts assembly that made up the last batches before the company closed. As to quality, most collectors prefer to exam Queen knives before commenting as their qc has been questionable.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    JohnDF likes this.
  3. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    Many thanks for your comments.
    Bill

mrknife likes this.
  4. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    I'm no collector - Haha. Was just looking for a good quality EDC and came across the M&S and also a Queen Teardrop in curly zebra. Trying to determine if they are good enough or do I need to step up to Tidioute American Jack or a #73 Tidioute. Decisions decisions.

mrknife likes this.
  5. steelnut

steelnut Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Find out what the steel is on the Queen,
    I don't think the keystone series is high carbon like the GEC's.

mrknife likes this.
  6. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    A tidioute american jack or a 73 is a fine choice, but as with most GECs you can have any blade steel you want as long as its 1095 ( they do have O1 tool steel,440 ss, but a majority is 1095). Queen's Schatt&Morgan does offer ATS34,and I believe they have done 154cm as well as regular stainless and HC but check carefully. If blade steel is a requirement, consider the File&Wire stuff if you like Queen aesthetics. Chances are if you do want a knife that you can toss in pocket and go, GEC tidioutes and seconds are easier on the pocketbook with less headache than Queen stuff. Many prefer inspecting queen knives before rolling the dice, just because of their known shoddy qc, with gaps, poor overall fit/finish, etc.

7. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    There is a Queen teardrop on the exchange right now that has their excellent D2 steel-- a great knife, I have the same one.

8. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    The Schatt & Morgan has 1095 and the Queen has D2 (tool steel).

9. Terdl76

Terdl76 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I’ll say the same as others before...try to handle S&M’s before buying if possible. If that’s not an option, ask for plenty of pictures and if it’s an honest seller, they’ll let you know of any issues with it’s action. Best of luck!

10. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    My keystone series copperhead is 1095.--KV

11. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I like it ...looks grear..gorgeous bone...nice beefy blade shape....interesting easy open finger notch thingo...if its a user youre after I would go for it...If Queen are no longer with us is it safe to say S&M are no longer made either ....therefore getting rarer...my last S&M purchase was in 2017 a large stockman orange burl wood scales one of which started to warp and lift but I glued and ckamped it down ...its ok though as a user ..no problem...I dont think youd get that problem with bone.
    Go for it.

12. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    My only, last, S&M was a large toothpick dud. Total pos. Good riddance to them. I hope yours is in better shape.

13. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    Amen, ive had Queen S&M knives where the shield fell off as I took it out of the package. But I always roll the dice and bought both from dealer, sent one back.

14. steelnut

steelnut Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I'm glad they are not all 420..
    But now I'm paranoid about QC,
    The pictures of Keystone knives are gorgeous

15. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    The fore mentioned S&M Heritage series single blade copperhead with keystone shield has excellent F&F. It's in my EDC and one of my favorite knives. Has two opening nicks. A long pull on top of the clip blade and a fingernail nick as it turns down.--KV

16. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    The only problems I've had out of recent Queen knives were being hard to open beyond what is normal, and the shield fell out, but I glued back in without any problems. The nail biters were a Queen and a Moore Maker by Queen. The lone S&M I own is near perfect. I like the looks of it!!

17. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I have a late run s&m stockman that's a great knife except for the fact that I can't even get the secondary blades open.

meako likes this.
  18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Myself, I'd go for the Queen Teardrop in Zebrawood. The D2 is superior stuff for a pocket knife, it locks and it is single blade which I prefer over Jacks. Nor am I a fan of EZ Open notches really, but a lot of people thirst for them.

The last SM/Queen I bought was a very late model Keystone. In all ways it was abysmal in quality, design (parts knife) and fit. The blade steel was thin and tinny (more like aluminium!) gaps all over the place, off centre, dye ran from the bone in moist fingers, no walk & talk. Horrid all round.

Other earlier models from the genuine yearly Keystone runs generally very good, the D2 Stagbone knives were superb-proud to have any of them. But the stuff the 'put out' after 2014 I'd steer clear of.