• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Looking for someone to cut mammoth molar/ivory

hey

I am looking for someone in the US (with thin diamond saw) to cut mammoth molar or ivory for me
if it works out could be a regular thing

thanks
PS: I struggled a bit to find the right place for this thread, I think here fits (please let me know if I was mistaken)

Don’t hold your breath while you try to find someone. Since ivory and mammoth has been banned here in the U.S., the laws may prohibit any possession of the material even though someone may not own it. Don’t know how the laws read concerning doing work for others with a banned material.

Mammoth ivory or bark isn’t illegal due to it being an extinct animal I believe
For what that’s worth lol. I would suggest someone with carpentry skills and equipment. Good luck

Thanks guys

Actually unless my info is outdated it is banned in just few states (but seems to be expanding)

I don't think carpenters would have diamond saws generally
Best bet are people who work with stones, or maybe tiles/marble?

Thanks guys

Actually unless my info is outdated it is banned in just few states (but seems to be expanding)

I don't think carpenters would have diamond saws generally
Best bet are people who work with stones, or maybe tiles/marble?

You may try James Behring, Jr. with Behring Made Knives in Missoula, MT
(https://www.behringmade.com/). He's using some pretty exotic natural materials in his knife handles currently, like fossil walrus ivory spacers, and may be able to talk to you about what you're after.

Mark Knapp, knifemaker, lives in Alaska, makes knives & I think sources ivory, etc. Try him, he's a member here. Charles Turnage, www.fineturnage.com, sell it too. He's a nice guy and he may be able to help. I think he stabilizes his scales.

I did contact Charles, he responded but after explaining it might be for sales didn't hear back lol

and James doesn't seem to work with them
I need someone with proper tool to do the job, not a one off time. I mean a might know someone who can even do it using a bandsaw, but not practical for long term

thanks Though :)

Back