Looking for someone to drill & tap my handle

I shortened a 940-2 and am putting a deep carry clip on it. I'm looking for someone who can drill through the g-10 and stainless handle and tap it. Any leads would be appreciated.

Attachments

• tmp_6247-20170903_114148-435190626.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
You cannot depend on G-10 to anchor a #2X56TPI machine thread pocket clip screw. Multiply the thickness of the stainless liner in decimal inches times 56 TPI to get the number of threads that are anchoring your pocket clip. Benchmade usually presses round steel nuts into the plastic handle from the backside to anchor their pocket clips. If you are satisfied with the few threads that attach the pocket clip to a stainless liner, drill clearance holes in the G-10 and tap the liner utilizing a tap drill that yields 90% thread.

I'm looking for someone who can drill through the g10 and thread the stainless liner just like they thread the liner at the factory and attach the scales on all their knives. I don't need threads in the g-10.

I've tried drilling and tapping stainless myself and am not good at it. I'm just looking for a lead on someone who does this type of work.

IMG_2861.jpg I like to use sulpherated when working on stainless. It is a little messy, but the drills and taps last longer. Use Cobalt drills and slow down the speed. For tapping, I like to use a hand tapper to ensure a vertical plunge, and I can reverse frequently to break up the chips.
This photo is a little deceiving in that the blade is still in the knife, and the work area is not slathered in tap lubricant.

I appreciate the responses and advics but I do not want to do the tapping. I am only asking for a lead on who to contact that would be able to do this. All I need is the second hole in the clip drilled and tapped, the other one is the factory threaded hole.

I cannot quite picture your requirements in my mind. I do not understand why you would want to tap a clip. Can you furnish a photo or a drawing? Is this a tip down carry on a 940? There is no liner on the butt end of the handle. What was removed when the knife? was shortened? You are talking 2 holes. Most of the 940 clips have 3. A plastic handled (G-10) 940 does not utilize the liner to anchor the clip. Instead it has 3 threaded inserts on each handle slab so you can carry right or left.

I cut off the back of the knife. The hole that is currently holding the clip on is the hole that benchmade used to hold the scale on. I just need another hole drilled in the stainless liner and tapped next to it to hold the clip on. Hopefully the pic comparison of my 943 helps.

Attachments

• tmp_21708-20170904_070316-435190626.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Liner view

Attachments

• tmp_21708-20170904_071056-1988447345.jpg
    tmp_21708-20170904_071056-1988447345.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 15
That is interesting. I did not realize that you shortened the handle AND the blade. I can do that job for you. PM me.

Back