Looking for Traditional Knife for the Wife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Snacktime, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Snacktime

Snacktime

Aug 18, 2019
    Need a little help finding the right knife for the wife, I know she likes traditional style the most. Just having a hard time finding something the right size.

Looking for a single blade about 2.5” length. Lockback preferred but not a deal breaker. Case tribal lock but smaller would be perfect.

She likes pearl and patterns and bright colors.

Budget is under $100, just looking for something unique/not another plastic lockback.

2. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Look at the Kershaw Fraxion; available in several colors; backside flipper with liner lock; about 2.6-2.7 inch blade.
    Rich

3. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Offered this teardrop as solace when my daughter lost her cat.
    TD3.jpg
    But I noticed she's really fond of this one as well (but did not get it! ;))
    25-4_juillet.JPG

4. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    A flipper is not traditional.

Moki has a couple of small lockbacks in your price range. Traditional style and very classy.

Prester John and Will Power like this.
  5. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    They don’t make ‘em anymore, but the Buck 527 Treasury might interest you. This one is in Micarta, and they made them with a variety of woods as well. Looks like they’re still fairly easy to find, and at a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

I don’t know the closed length of the top of my head, but it’s a pretty small knife. I’d guess around 2.5” closed. I can confirm later.

Quiet, Jolipapa and redsparrow like this.
  6. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    The new GEC 62 in blue camel bone would be a good choice if slip joint is acceptable.

7. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    Check out one of the new Case Pocket Hunters.
    IMG_1145 1_edited.jpg

8. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Case mini copperlock.
    Small-ish and is a lockback.
    Also priced right.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  9. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Case Mini Copperlock.
    Blade: about 2-11/16"
    Closed length: about 3-5/8"

Excellent knife!

[​IMG]

10. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Case Cheetah. A lockback swing guard. Might be too big but it should come in around your price. Rough Rider version has 2 1/2” blade, 3 1/2” closed.

93B3B667-147E-4346-949A-0F70DBE9BC6A.jpeg 8D94F68D-81CA-4FA5-82EE-23608E7D5921.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  11. Snacktime

Snacktime

Aug 18, 2019
    Looked at all the case knives, teardrop is about the rights size. My wife didn’t like my spyderedge moki, going to keep an eye out for a more traditional moki as I wouldn’t mind one for myself. If I like it then it’s most likely a no go lol.

short list is
    Case toothpick
    Case teardrop

Prester John likes this.
  12. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    I agree with the mini copperlock lots of cover choices great price point

13. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    My girlfriend is always impressed over white or just off -white knives .. I think the recent unicorn ivory gec is her favorite knife of mine but she also likes the more ornate Moki knives with MOP.

chuck4570 likes this.
  14. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I'll also recommend the Case Mini Copperlock. It's longer than you mentioned but it is super slim and a really fantastic knife. If you look around you can find a number of scale of options.

chuck4570 likes this.
  15. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Take a look at the CASE Swayback Gent why don't you? Lot of scale options, cv or stainless (even damascus) Barehead or End Caps. Small but not toy like at all, a great pocket pal for all sorts of people.

chuck4570 likes this.
  16. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Between the toothpick and the teardrop, I think the toothpick is prettier. Is this a surprise, or can you show them to her to see which one she prefers?
    When I asked my wife she chose two knives: a Case dark red peanut, and a small Case lockback with steel handle. I bought her both. And a Case medium stockman.

chuck4570 and Jolipapa like this.
  17. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Either a 505 or a 503 from the Buck Custom Shop might be a good choice. They recently added Sunset Jigged Bone and Ruby Red Jigged Bone to the handle options. It can take up to 6 weeks to get one but the price is right around your limit and they are nice.

505 in Buckeye Burl. About 2 3/4 inches closed with a 1 7/8 inch blade. Probably a bit small for her.
    IMG_5015.JPG

503 in Sunset Jigged Bone. About 3 3/8 inches closed with a 2 1/2 inch blade.
    IMG_5181.JPG

These Boker Boy Scouts are nice and seem like they might fit your description but they are small and probably cost too much. Just tossing it out there because I'll bet she would really like this model.
    IMG_4388.JPG

Llasi, Shurke, bflying and 6 others like this.
  18. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Case mini Copperlock (many different handle choices available)
    Buck 503 (there are some SFO's available with different steel and handle choices)

chuck4570 likes this.
  19. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Not a locking knife, but my wife re-allocated my Victorinox Alox Electrician (Pioneer variant) to her own use. She seems to really like it, and when she has misplaced it, my other Pioneer seems to become the replacement.

She uses the heck out of that knife. I am always having to touch it up or sharpen it.

For a locking option, the Case Mini Copperlock or a mid-sized Buck 50x series seems to fit the requirement, as others have mentioned.

chuck4570 likes this.
  20. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    MOP mini copperlock. Gave this one to my neurosurgeon in case he ever needs to perform an emergency tracheostomy.

[​IMG]

Llasi, Prester John, bflying and 5 others like this.