Looking for Vanax. Custom or for sale.

Anyone know a knife maker who can build me a Vanax knife? Or anyone know where some Vanax blades for sale are? I'm new here and can't seem to find any. I am already having Shannon steel labs make me some. I want more from different knife makers. Thanks guys

Creely blades
Chad Kelly custom knives
Kase knives Switzerland
Shannon steel labs ShannonSteelLabs ShannonSteelLabs
Triple hand made aka BBB aka @DeadboxHero

I think I'm missing one, I forget atm.

In anycase I would trust these guys with the ht of vanax and the other high nitrogen steels. Chad Kelly actually got some of the first vanax superclean from Bohler and developed and tested the heat treatment necessary for the best edge retention he could get. He went through a few recipes and tested alot of cardboard. He's shared the recipe with a few others iirc. it requires triple cryo tempers.

There are older variations of vanax with slightly different chemistries to them. Vanax 35,37 and 75. They now only have vanax superclean and have phased those previous versions out.
zknives charts

Last edited:
Shirogorov makes nice folders in Vanax SuperClean, which the company calls Vanax 37 [corrected]. They come up on the for sale section every so often.

Last edited:
Creely blades
Chad Kelly custom knives
Kase knives Switzerland

In anycase I would trust these guys with the ht of vanax and the other high nitrogen steels. Chad Kelly actually got some of the first vanax superclean from Bohler and developed and tested the heat treatment necessary for the best edge retention he could get. He went through a few recipes and tested alot of cardboard. He's shared the recipe with a few others iirc. it requires triple cryo tempers.

There are older variations of vanax with slightly different chemistries to them. Vanax 35,37 and 75. They now only have vanax superclean and have phased those previous versions out.
zknives charts

Vanax 37 is Vanax Superclean. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I dont believe I am.

Shirogorov offers knives in Vanax 37. They're excellent. I believe the HT is pretty good. I use my regularly and rarely have to sharpen. I chopped up cardboard, literally for hours, still going strong.

It is also rust proof, which I'm sure you already know.

Want to say Shiro HTs to 60hrc, which is pretty solid for s nitrogen steel.

Shirogorov makes nice folders in Vanax SuperClean, which the company calls Vanax 35. They come up on the for sale section every so often.

Shirogorov calls their Superclean "Vanax 37"

Shirogorov did, in the past, use the chemically different Vansx 35 as well.

Creely blades
Chad Kelly custom knives
Kase knives Switzerland

zknives charts

Lol, I just referenced your chart and they made it s point to distinguish Vanax 37 and Superclean yet they're chemically identical. Weird.

They are the same, however. 37 = Superclean.

Vanax 37 is Vanax Superclean. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I dont believe I am.

Shirogorov offers knives in Vanax 37. They're excellent. I believe the HT is pretty good. I use my regularly and rarely have to sharpen. I chopped up cardboard, literally for hours, still going strong.

It is also rust proof, which I'm sure you already know.

Want to say Shiro HTs to 60hrc, which is pretty solid for s nitrogen steel.

Thanks you for the correction. Vanax 37 is Vanax SuperClean. Too old. Too many numbers.

Lol, I just referenced your chart and they made it s point to distinguish Vanax 37 and Superclean yet they're chemically identical. Weird.

They are the same, however. 37 = Superclean.
Yea they had all these variations and they went to just the one and renamed it superclean.

For production knives, Shirogorov is the only one I know who uses it.

For customs, in addition to the guys mentioned above, try @Robert Erickson, too.

The steel used as the core in Damasteel's Damacore line, N11X, is chemically equivalent to Vanax - it's actually made under license from Bohler, I believe. So, that's another option, but Damacore is still a bit hard to find. I'm hoping to pick up a few blanks at Blade, for use in future custom orders.

Just to add - Peters Heat Treat works with Vanax, so really, any knifemaker who uses them should be able to offer it. I would guess it grinds similarly to Elmax or M390 - the chemical composition isn't radically different.

I have a couple bars of VANAX I haven't used yet.

I'm a hobbies, which means I am....slow. I tend to make what I sketch in meetings :)

Back