Looking for very tough knife!

Hey guys so I got word on pricing from Yangdu. The GCB is quite expensive so unfortunately I think I'm going to have to stick to just getting a 20" CAK. Maybe one day in the future I'll go for the GCB.

Yep, GCBs are relatively expensive. The truth is that like everything else, when you make a knife that big and bold 1) you use a lot of steel. 2) you use a lot of kami time. 3) you are really making something "just because you can". It is not a necessity at that point but an oh so awesome excess. Otherwise everyone here would have a GCB instead of them being as relatively rare as they are. Really the same reason a Mercedes costs more than a Ford, the GCB screams I have THE knife, not just A knife.

That being said. I really think for what you get a 20" CAK is probably under valued. They are Awesome and I truely hope you enjoy yours once you get it.

That makes sense Shavru.

Thanks for your good wishes... I just sent in the order for the 20" CAK. Looking forward to getting it and I will put up pics of it once I get it!!! :)

First, a Chitlangi Bowie by Sher. Overall length 15.5". Weight 28 oz.
ChitlangiBowie15.5-Sher28-for-Dave-09.jpg

This is my dream knife right there. If one of these make it to DOTD then don't blink, cause I'm going to snatch it the second it shows up.

20" AK is a great chopper! Congrats smod!
That makes sense Shavru.

Thanks for your good wishes... I just sent in the order for the 20" CAK. Looking forward to getting it and I will put up pics of it once I get it!!! :)

Xtleyes and sno! Yall better be sleepin on the send button if that CB comes up:D

CAK is not a compromise. I clear a LOT of deadfall with mine, it's very comfortable, and I prefer it to my Scrapyard 1311.

Scrapyard 1311 is a very good chopping knife, I was sorry when I heard they weren't making them anymore. But I think the khuk shape has an advantage a chopping knife can't overcome for deadfall type wood IF you know the proper technique. Most of the comparisons I have seen done are people who hack away without understanding the concepts of how the proper motion benefits the chopper. No a CAK isn't a compromise, except in the biggest baddest looking showoffmanship category in which case it does miss out to the GCB by a little bit. As far as usability, in no way is it anybody's lesser blade.

In some ways I think the CAK is more awesome than the GCB even in the looks department, because firstly its a khuk and they already look very interesting... and secondly its pure thickness makes it very imposing/impressive.... they are generally thicker than GCBs I believe.

It doesn't get much thicker than the Bonecutter, but you miss out on the double fullers of the AK pattern.

This 16" Bonecutter belonging to Mr. Steve Tall is particularly massive:

IMG_2990_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_2980_1_1.JPG

Good point Smodtactical. That unique Khuk shape is indeed a head turner every time.

Phillll, My Bura Bonecutter is 16" and a "mere" 3/8 inch thick. My 16" CAK is 7/16 inch, I of course and just ecstatic to be able to compare them in person.
Have I mentioned how much I love HI and how much my checkbook hates that I found this forum lately? :D

Nope Smodtactical. The CAK is still thicker than a bonecutter. The bonecutters do vary a bit as with all of the blades, but on average there is a reason the CAK is the only one warrantied as a prybar.

Good point Smodtactical. That unique Khuk shape is indeed a head turner every time.

Phillll, My Bura Bonecutter is 16" and a "mere" 3/8 inch thick. My 16" CAK is 7/16 inch, I of course and just ecstatic to be able to compare them in person.
Have I mentioned how much I love HI and how much my checkbook hates that I found this forum lately? :D

Nope Smodtactical. The CAK is still thicker than a bonecutter. The bonecutters do vary a bit as with all of the blades, but on average there is a reason the CAK is the only one warrantied as a prybar.

Nice! I made the right choice then, hehe.

You are right about the thickness. GCB is a giant but is still a Chitlangi and has a very different edge geometry than an Ang Khola. AK is a dedicated chopper with a thicker edge and Chitlangis are thinner faster and made more for slicing through.. well...meat like substances!
In some ways I think the CAK is more awesome than the GCB even in the looks department, because firstly its a khuk and they already look very interesting... and secondly its pure thickness makes it very imposing/impressive.... they are generally thicker than GCBs I believe.

You are right about the thickness. GCB is a giant but is still a Chitlangi and has a very different edge geometry than an Ang Khola. AK is a dedicated chopper with a thicker edge and Chitlangis are thinner faster and made more for slicing through.. well...meat like substances!

The GCB and the thickness of the CAK remind me of this fabled knife made by Dan Keffler called the monster. It was 10 inch bowie style knife with a 1/2 inch thick spine and was made of CPM3V!! It was the mother of all tough knives and much like the CAK and GCB, super overbuilt, excessive and AWESOME! It was tested by the awesome Noss on nossknifetests and he could not break it! He has broken dozens of the toughest knives in the world but that monster could not be broken, even when putting it in a vice and smashing it with a hammer. Sure he broke the tip a bit and chipped it, but the core of the knife was unphased!

Back