Recommendation? Looking to add to my 940 EDC

The swish is directly above evilgregs 940 in the pic he posted with all the knives. :) T TroutRunner

I think thats the pic Lapedog Lapedog was referring too.

Appreciate the pictures. I'd say the Umnumzaan would fit nicely into the mix for me right between the Rukus and the 940.

I'd also think the Swish would add a little flare to the mix and a nice flipper. Hope that evilgreg evilgreg finds the pic of the Swish next to the 940.

Both sound like great knives, at this point it will come down to which one "moves me".

Look at post #14. evilgreg has already included a picture of the Swish in the same shot as a 940. They are the two bottom right knives in his picture on post #14.

I assume that is a PM2 sandwiched between
Not just any PM2 that dude is M4 ! ! !
If I had to choose between my CRK with S35VN and my Para 2 with M4 . . . for a user which all of my knives are . . . I would have to keep the M4 and let the CRK go. Some of the work I do actually requires the M4 alloy / nothing else holds up as well for me including S110V. I like the steel that much. Right out of my furthest dreams for a knife blade alloy M4 is.

Hopefully I will never have to make that choice. When CRK offers M4 for two hundred dollars more I will probably pounce on that. Call me crazy.

Not just any PM2 that dude is M4 ! ! !
If I had to choose between my CRK with S35VN and my Para 2 with M4 . . .
Forgive me!!!

This does bring up the question. I've seen the Sebenzas with Damascus and the Swish with Damasteel. Any concerns for using these for my regular, non-torture testing, uses?

Shouldnt be any concerns...i edc a damascus every couple weeks. Might be a little bit more cleaning involved...but they cut well and last. And they look good to boot!

I don't recall anything bad being said about a Chris Reeve knife....:p
Oh no . . . there are plenty of "haters" or at least critics. I admit to leaning that way and . . . apparently wrongly took the "they come dull from the factory" comments too seriously.
Either I was being lied to or the factory got it together. My one CRK is seriously well ground and sharpened ! ! ! But no . . . even Nick Shabazz turned thumbs down and sent his back.
But what does he know, he can't get his Delicas back together. :p
I'm kidding Nick; :D we love ya. Keep doing what you do. ;)

Small and large Sebenza 21s next to a 940
One thing they both seem to have in common is they get every millimeter of blade length possible squeezed into the available handle length. I was kind of shocked to see how close the 21s blade tip was to the end of the handle when closed. IT IS RIGHT THERE but still no way to touch the blade tip or cause any problem unless I intentionally start poking my finger tip between the handle slabs near the lanyard post. That's one thing I like about the 940-1 : lots of blade length for a small handle length.

That's not a deal breaker for me though. I have knives with long handles that I have intentionally shortened the blade on. I'm just saying . . .

I have nothing bad to say about bronze washers as long as the knife is made accurately. My favorite knives action wise happen to have bronze washers.

I’m pretty much over bearing actions on knives. If I love the knife I will still take a bearing knife but at this point I tend to consider it a negative rather than a positive feature.

There are some bearing knives with amazing drop shut actions I still am impresses by though.

I don't have any experience with bearings. I am in complete agreement with using all of the handle to hold a blade.

The Swish seems to hold a lot of blade to the end of the handle as well.
uJl6HD5.jpg

I don't have any experience with bearings. I am in complete agreement with using all of the handle to hold a blade.

The Swish seems to hold a lot of blade to the end of the handle as well.
uJl6HD5.jpg

Yes in terms of length but look how much wasted handle space there is between the edge of the closed blade and the inside of the backspacer. You can see it through the holes in the pic you posted.

Honestly these are all great knives you are considering so it’s really going to be a matter of personal taste which one you decide to go with. They’re all good choices and you cannot go wrong.

That said I feel as if the CRKs are far more practical knives than the Swish. If I could only have 1 knife and it was a large CRK I would be very happy as the design is just so utilitarian and comfortable to carry. Also CRK has outstanding customer service and that one CRK could last you a lifetime.

The Swish while cool too I feel like is more a knife I would want as a part of a collection. It is abit too awkward in my eyes to make a good “the one” knife. That is personal bias and taste though. We obviously can’t decide for you.

Yes in terms of length but look how much wasted handle space there is between the edge of the closed blade and the inside of the backspacer. You can see it through the holes in the pic you posted.

Honestly these are all great knives you are considering so it’s really going to be a matter of personal taste which one you decide to go with. They’re all good choices and you cannot go wrong.

That said I feel as if the CRKs are far more practical knives than the Swish. If I could only have 1 knife and it was a large CRK I would be very happy as the design is just so utilitarian and comfortable to carry. Also CRK has outstanding customer service and that one CRK could last you a lifetime.

The Swish while cool too I feel like is more a knife I would want as a part of a collection. It is abit too awkward in my eyes to make a good “the one” knife. That is personal bias and taste though. We obviously can’t decide for you.

Different strokes for different folks: I keep buying Sebenzas and trying to warm up to them with no success, but I love the funky Swish. Apparently the exquisite tolerances and fine corinthian leather or whatever are wasted on an uncultured simpleton like myself. ;)

I like variety, though, and rotate frequently. I'll carry the 940 in that group shot one day, and a ZT 0454 the next. Then it's a Southard, then the Jason Clark custom in that group shot and then the customized CKF SSE and so forth. All of the knives I threw in that group are knives I'd be happy to find in my pocket.

I am in full agreement with you though, that these are all great knives so the OP really can't go too far wrong with any of the knives discussed.

Btw T TroutRunner have you considered checking out the used section of this forum? There are always many high end knives on there and you could potentially save a bundle.

Just go with someone who has a high number of positive ratings under their avatar picture on their sales thread. You may even see some knives you didn’t know existed that you might want.

I always recommend asking the following questions when buying a used knife:

How is the centring? How is the action and is the knife centred when the pivot is set to have a good action? Is there any side to side bladeplay when the knife is set to centred with said good action?

How is the lockup? (Ask for a picture closeup of the lockup) Is there any issues such as lockstick? Ask about lockrock, lockslip or lockbar flex when pushing on the spine of the locked open knife.

I will definitely search and keep an eye out on the used forum. Using the forum's positive ratings for sellers is very helpful.

Back