Looking to buy a "higher end" Spyderco

You mentioned a Dragonfly in your original post. I received the Dragonfly ZDP-189 w/Nishijin scales for Christmas last year. It has been in my pocket 340 of the last ~352 days. The only days it wasn't in my pocket were days I was on travel for work and I only had a carry-on bag. For me, it is the perfect knife. The correct size for the coin pocket of my jeans, small enough blade that I feel I'm in control at all times, and large enough to cut 99% of what I need to cut. It is north of $100, but well worth it as it is high end steel and has high end scales.

Your post made me pick up and relish my blacked-out PM2, which I recently put a mirror edge on with my EP...such an awesome knife for the money, regardless of color combination, and quickly becoming a legendary modern folder. As Comeuppance related though, not everyone falls in love....definitely a "must try" as well IMO.

As others have recommended, I'd also say try a Sage 1(...you might even be able to find a Sage 2 for around that price on the exchange if you're patient) or perhaps a Chaparral. Experience something from Taichung.

The Manix 2 LW S110v also represents tremendous value for money. Honestly, it's a little challenging for me to EDC due to its size in my pocket, but it makes a phenomenal work blade and it weighs pretty much nothing.

Lots of good suggestions already. I am a big fan of PM2s too. But if you can go a little higher and wait a little, the forthcoming Gayle Bradley 2 folder looks pretty awesome and a great deal (check KW pre-order as an example). CF scales, M4 steel, good all-round edc folder. I have the GB1 and will get the GB2 too.

the pm2 has been suggested many times over and for good reason, i think its truly that good and probably negates the need for almost all my other knives.

That said, if you want to be blown away by a true step up in build. Search the exchange for a Techno. I see them 125-135 here and there, it may take some time and its little over your 100 dollar mark, but in the time it takes to find the Techno at that price, you can easily save the extra 30 bucks - i presume anyway.

Again, the PM2 is true revelation, but the Techno is unlike anything else in terms of the lasting impression it imparts.

My vote would be for Native 5, though it would be hard to go wrong with a PM2, Techno, or any of the other suggestions here.

Baseballs to the wall, the military is above your price range by a long shot but so worth the money. G10 s30v liner lock.

Pick up a Double Bevel before they are gone. PM2s and Natives will be around for many many years to come, so there is no real rush. You can get a DB for about 125 in some places. Its a very unique and beautiful knife. Its tanto tip is scary yet intriguing. And it is, for sure, an excellent conversation piece. It's slim and gentlemanly profile makes it a dream to carry and use. If you can get used to the double bevel grind then it will be an excellent cutter for you as well. Good luck.

If you've gotten a taste for Spydercos, go ahead and get a Para2, 'cos sooner or later you will. Pretty much all of us do. Might as well get it done with.
Most likely you will love it, in the much less likely situation you don't, it will be easy to sell.

DSC00090_zpsghmnuttr.jpg

Manix, Sage 1, and others are all valid suggestions, but IMO you should go ahead and get the Para2 experience, you won't stop hearing about it until you do.

I suspect you've caught the affliction though, and more Spydies are in your future :)

The Manix 2 is a hell of a deal. It would still be one of my favorite knives at a much higher price point. It's just a great knife.

If you've gotten a taste for Spydercos, go ahead and get a Para2, 'cos sooner or later you will. Pretty much all of us do. Might as well get it done with.
Most likely you will love it, in the much less likely situation you don't, it will be easy to sell.

DSC00090_zpsghmnuttr.jpg

Manix, Sage 1, and others are all valid suggestions, but IMO you should go ahead and get the Para2 experience, you won't stop hearing about it until you do.

I suspect you've caught the affliction though, and more Spydies are in your future :)

ARGH! I am trying so hard not to spend the $175 on the black-and-orange PM2 sprint but every time I see it I start reaching for my credit card ... arghhhhhh

I'm going to echo all the suggestions for Manix2 G10, Yojimbo2, and Chaparral--> should be able to find something you like among those three for about $100. I've been meaning to try a PM2, though have yet to pull the trigger...

IMHO for $100 you should either get a) an E4 or D4 in HAP 40 or b) a manix XL. The Manix XL is about as much knife for $100 made in US that you can buy. After that you need to add $50 to the hundo and ask the question again

I was looking for blade under 3 1/2", my Endura 4 is 3 3/4", and when I saw the Manix 2 in a local store and handled it, I fell in love with it and bought it even though I paid $20 more for it than I could have gotten it online. Yes, it is a bit heavy and wide in the pocket (I got the G10 w/ S30V steel) but man, I like the heft and love the shape of the blade. Great knife but you should feel it in person, if possible, to see if you like the heft and width.

So I have a few Spydercos and now I'd like to buy a nicer one. What I have:

Tenacious
Dfly 2
UKPK
Delica 4 Wave
Delica 4 FFG Green

What would you guys recommend around $100?

I guess it all depends what you're looking for. A more exotic steel? G10 vs FRN? What's your intended usage or is it just going to be a safe queen? Those knives you already have are no slouches, that's for sure. Over the last several years, I've gone for value over everything else. The knives that I feel provide the most bang-for-the-buck is what I now purchase. A single $100, $200, $300, etc knife just doesn't make sense to me in 2015/2016. There are just too many other good value choices on the market. Don't limit yourself to brand or type.

That being said, I can tell you the Sage-1, Chaparral, Cat, Persistence, Dragonfly and Native-5 LW are all great knives, depending on what you're looking for. I personally have found that due to the thumb-ramp and hole, that Spyderco knives have been too tall for my liking, so something like the Ontario Rat-2 with its shorter closed stance is proving itself better for me. It's also a great value.

I tried the Endura, but it didn't feel any good in my hand, at all. I've never tried the PM2, but have thought about it. Everyone that owns one seems to love it, but I'm not sure if that's people just trying to justify their purchase or not. I've found from experience, that the power of suggestion is a very strong force and I'll leave it at that. I'm one of the few folks who think (and will actually admit) the Sabenza is one of the most over-rated/over-priced knives on the market (FOR ME). It feels like crap in my hand and performs no better than a knife 5-times cheaper in price.

Anyway, I've rambled too much and took this way off topic. Research those Spyderco knives I've mentioned above. The thing with Spyderco is they have enough product offerings to appeal to just about everyone. I most recently purchased the Persistence. I doubt it will ever become my EDC due to that tallness issue that I mentioned, however, I love the knife so far. I'm actually considering purchasing the rest of the "value line" if my budget allows.

Good luck in your search.

+1 Manix 2 and Native 5 suggestions. I hear nothing but good things about the PM2, but I'm one of the few it doesn't appeal to. Good luck.

pm2 or manix are great knives the pm2 always finds its way into my pocket lol
nice blade size
good grind
fits hand

Well I will suggest the Gayle Bradley. I just saw one for sale here on this forum - fella was asking only $105.
I would jump all over that opportunity.
But always buy what appeals to you.
Seems that this brand holds its resale well so you can buy and flip and trade and most of all:
- Enjoy this brand of fine knives!

DSC00090_zpsghmnuttr.jpg

What he said!

BTW - my Pm2 is now begging me for those brown scales on the far right...

So I have a few Spydercos and now I'd like to buy a nicer one. What I have:

Tenacious
Dfly 2
UKPK
Delica 4 Wave
Delica 4 FFG Green

What would you guys recommend around $100?

What so you want to do with it?
Just an edc knife? I would say pick one that tickles your fancy. I would suggest starting with a PM2, but if it just doesn't appeal to you now then don't, but it is incredibly easy to resell on the secondary market.
A hard use knife? S110V Manix 2 or a GB2 if you can raise your price a bit.
Gentlemen's knife? Sage 1 or Chap.

Lots of options bro. Good luck!

I've had my ups and downs with the PM2. At first I couldn't warm up to the compression lock. Then it was the blade-to-handle ratio that bothered me. But ultimately I've come to really like and appreciate it for what it is - an incredibly ergonomic folder with a dependable lock and good steel. Of course there are oodles of variations available now so they can range from good steel to top shelf steel. I certainly think you should give it a try. It's quickly becoming one of those knives you 'just have to try'. (or in my case try, sell, buy, and repeat numerous times) [emoji6]

Back