Looking to buy a new knife soon, opinions requested.

If you are looking at Cold Steel, may I add the ultimate Hunter to the mix. I have the Lawman and UH and I prefer the blade shape and sculpted handles of the UH. It's a little more than the Lawman, but still in your price range.

Thanks for the suggestion, that is one cool looking knife. I will definitely consider this one. Anyone that can answer this please do so. How well do Cold Steel products hold up over long term use?

I'll throw out a bit of an oddball/less suggested knife: Boker Lateralus, if they have it. Worth checking out at least in that price range in my opinion.

Cold Steel swift black blade,love mine
Spyderco manix lw
Cold steel broken skull

Take a look at the Steel Will knives in the case, you might like something there. I was there browsing and walked out with the Steel Will Mini Cutjack. I suspect the regular Cutjack would fit your needs. I'd also spend time at the Spydie area. They usually have a good stock but somethings sell out. Make sure you know the store hours as they close earlier in the winter/non-tourist time. Hope you enjoy yourself. I might wander up to Cades Cove.... maybe. Going to be warmer this weekend.

Take a look at the Steel Will knives in the case, you might like something there. I was there browsing and walked out with the Steel Will Mini Cutjack. I suspect the regular Cutjack would fit your needs. I'd also spend time at the Spydie area. They usually have a good stock but somethings sell out. Make sure you know the store hours as they close earlier in the winter/non-tourist time. Hope you enjoy yourself. I might wander up to Cades Cove.... maybe. Going to be warmer this weekend.

Thanks for the info, I didn’t realize they closed earlier this time of the year. I’ll take a look at the Steel Will knives too. I have read good things about them.

I've wandered in more than a couple times this time of the year and discover they close in 15 or 30 minutes. It's usually on my way home from a job and I scoot down to their store to browse. I honestly never heard of Steel Will before seeing them there. Good stuff overall. I believe they close at 6:00 PM sharp. But better check....

Added: If you have time, I'd drop by the Lodge outlet (cast iron stuff) that is in the shopping center next door if you like cast iron. Semi good prices....

Last edited:
I've wandered in more than a couple times this time of the year and discover they close in 15 or 30 minutes. It's usually on my way home from a job and I scoot down to their store to browse. I honestly never heard of Steel Will before seeing them there. Good stuff overall.

Added: If you have time, I'd drop by the Lodge outlet (cast iron stuff) that is in the shopping center next door if you like cast iron. Semi good prices....

I think I know the store you are talking about, we may swing in there. I also like to visit Buds Gun shop located behind SMKW. The toys in there are a little more pricy than SMKW though.

How about the new Buck 110 in S30V, black g-10, and nickel silver instead of brass. Not real tactical, but cool anyway...

Edited to add: They also make it as an automatic, if you can get away with it. Is THAT tactical enuff?

Last edited:
A code 4 and buy your wife dinner with the rest of the money

I have been doing a ton of research since starting this thread and so far I have narrowed it down some. So far, I am really leaning towards Cold Steel and Spyderco products. The Ultimate Hunter from Cold Steel really caught my eye. I am just concerned about it lacking liners.
Please keep the replies coming in.

I have been doing a ton of research since starting this thread and so far I have narrowed it down some. So far, I am really leaning towards Cold Steel and Spyderco products.
Give yourself some time to "window shop". Prices are not great but the special part about shopping there is the amazing variety of product that you can hold in your hand. Plus the store is not all that busy this time of the year and you can quickly move from one area to another. Don't forget to add a few cheap Vic kitchen knives to your cart. To me, it's worth the extra cost to buy there and inspect personally what you are buying.

If you are looking at Cold Steel, may I add the ultimate Hunter to the mix. I have the Lawman and UH and I prefer the blade shape and sculpted handles of the UH. It's a little more than the Lawman, but still in your price range.
I'll second this one. The UH folder is one of the best knives on the market.

Hey guys, once again, I’m getting ready to go knife shopping. My wife and I are planning on heading south this weekend and as usual, paying SMKW a little visit.
I have 3 days to weigh my options and am hoping BF will help me out with my decision. First of all my budget is around 130 dollars. I want a folding knife and the blade length to be between 3 and 4 inches.
I’m not really into traditional folders so I lean more toward tactical style knives. I plan on putting it in my carry rotation, so I want something durable that will hold up for a long time. I didn’t name any particular brands because I want to keep my options open and hear what you have to say. Any ideas and opinions are welcome. Thanks again.
A knife that I carried for years is the ESEE Zancudo. its a bit on the smaller side of what you are looking for. it has been the only pocket knife that I could not destroy. I worked in construction for years and have broken everything from kershaw to bucks and even a few spydercos. The ESEE is only $30-ish and well worth it.

I think that the Ultimate Hunter or th American Lawman would make a fine edc/work knife for you. Should last you forever.

Give yourself some time to "window shop". Prices are not great but the special part about shopping there is the amazing variety of product that you can hold in your hand. Plus the store is not all that busy this time of the year and you can quickly move from one area to another. Don't forget to add a few cheap Vic kitchen knives to your cart. To me, it's worth the extra cost to buy there and inspect personally what you are buying.

My wife enjoys browsing around the kitchen items there. She isn’t exactly a knife person but she enjoys fine kitchen cutlery.

Ok guys, I really am interested in the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter and the American Lawman. However, I have no experience whatsoever with CTS XHP blade steel. How does it perform? When it comes time to sharpen it, can it be brought back to a razor edge using the sharpmaker?
My next question is about toughness. I read about CTS XHP being prone to chipping. Is this the case or is it a non issue?

Thanks for the suggestion, that is one cool looking knife. I will definitely consider this one. Anyone that can answer this please do so. How well do Cold Steel products hold up over long term use?

Cold Steel knives will last you forever with common sense care. I still have a few of my fathers lock back (pre- triad) cold steel knives without any issues that have been used heavily. Built to last forever just like any other reputable brand. I like the Ultimate Hunter! Spyderco try stretch G-10, PM2/3 , and the Shaman. Benchmade see if they have a mini crooked river it’s worth going a little over budget if you can squeeze it. I went to the Spyderco store in Colorado and got my GB2. Hold everything and have a blast!

Spyderco Manix 2 Back Lock (or any other Manix). This one is a beast. When it locks up, your hand will vibrate.

One of the Cold Steel knives, American Lawman, Ultimate Hunter, or Code 4 are very nice, too.

I haven't been in the store in several years but on all of my visits I was underwhelmed by the lack of knowledge displayed by most sales associates. I was just on the website and I am impressed with how well the search function performed. The first knife I would recomend is a ZT0450, I can't say enough positive things about my experience. I have a Para2 that I picked up because of all the things I read online about it. I honestly did not expect to like it as much as I do. It has found it's way into a small rotation of knives that cost much more. A knife that I don't believe has been mentioned is the Hogue EX-03 Drop Point Folder. I have no hands on with it but it meets most of your criteria. If there is a model you are interested in that is posted online as being sold out ask anyway. There may be one on display or they may have received a shipment that hasn't been updated online.

I haven't been in the store in several years but on all of my visits I was underwhelmed by the lack of knowledge displayed by most sales associates. I was just on the website and I am impressed with how well the search function performed. The first knife I would recomend is a ZT0450, I can't say enough positive things about my experience. I have a Para2 that I picked up because of all the things I read online about it. I honestly did not expect to like it as much as I do. It has found it's way into a small rotation of knives that cost much more. A knife that I don't believe has been mentioned is the Hogue EX-03 Drop Point Folder. I have no hands on with it but it meets most of your criteria. If there is a model you are interested in that is posted online as being sold out ask anyway. There may be one on display or they may have received a shipment that hasn't been updated online.

I like the looks of the EX03. The plunge lock lock design is a neat feature, and they appear to have some in stock too I’ll have to take a look at them. Thanks for the suggestion, I would have never considered Hogue.

Back