• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Looking to have a custom knife made

I am a professional chef, and one of my daily drivers in the kitchen right now is a misen chef knife. It's by far the cheapest knife in my roll, but I routinely pick it up because of its feel. The shape, weight, and length are all perfect to me personally. But I don't love the steel (aus8). What I'm looking for is a knife maker that would be willing and able to custom build a knife to the same dimensions out of vg10. Anyone know who might take on such a task?

Before getting into the cost and wait time for a custom knife, you could take a look at the Japanese Knife Imports website and talk to Jon. The website provides a detailed set of specification on most of their knives and they provide good photos. If you measure the specs of your knife you could try to match it to a knife on his site. The Japanese Knife Import site is the best site that I have found when it comes to providing detailed knife specs and good colored photos. Plus you can always call their store for one on one help with your purchase if you have questions.

Back