Loose Kydex Sheath

Just picked up a TOPS Hawk Recon with a kydex sheath. Now, the sheath is in good condition but the knife fits a little loose.
If I turn the sheath upside down the knife slips out. Maybe not a real big deal but I am going to put this knife on my LBV when I go out with my Guard unit. I dont want to lose the knife while jumping and running around, and I dont want to have to tie it down all the time either. What can I do to tighten up the fit in the kydex?
I read a post sometime back about this but cant seem to find it on a search.

Hi Colt...

Look at what Ron's got on his site...

If that doesn't work,, you can try drilling a hole closer to the bottom guard,,or even across from it, and put a small screw and nut to tighten this area..

That may fix your problem,,but I'll tell you one thing,, if the sheath isn't designed to be carried inverted,, or the maker didn't design the sheath to be modified, you may not be able to fix it...

Having a knife carried upside down takes a pretty decently designed sheath with good retention, if the sheath is the only form of retention it may not work for you...

Some just aren't meant to do it...

If you have problems,, drop mea note I'll see if I can talk you through it..

ttyle

Eric....

Thanks for the info. Actually, I never intended to wear this knife inverted (does anybody still do that?). But if it can slide out when its upside down it could pop out while jumping off a BFV or out of a bunker. I called TOPS this afternoon and might just exchange the sheath.

If it were me, I'd just send it to Eric (Normark) for a custom sheath. He is a great kydexsmith!

My Busse sheaths are fantastic. In any position.

I have read here that if you heat the kydex then let it cool with the knife inside it will tighten up the fit a little.

If you can't get the sheath as secure as you would like send it Normark to have a sheath made. I just got a Micra rig from him that is wonderful. I can't remove the tool unless I deliberitly want to.

Erik

Back