Lost and Stolen vs. Broken

An enormous amount of mental gymnastics occur on this forum to quantify the "durability" of different knifes, steels and knife-mechanism systems. I've only purchased 5 knives since joining these forums a year ago and 1 was stolen and the other 4 are still working like brand new. I imagine 9 out of 10 knives on this forum no longer "function" for the owner because they were lost or stolen vs. broken or worn out. Out of that last 1 out of 10... broken or worn out, I'm guessing 9 out of 10 were clearly operator error, either in the field or while trying to impose "improvements" to their knife. Considering the above, I kind of chuckle at some of the engineering debates on this site.

Has any manufacturer yet considered installing a tracking chip in their knife?

"90% no longer function because of being lost or stolen"?!!!

I would be shocked if those stats which you have imagined to be remotely close to actuality, specially when it comes to members of this Site who by and large are fastidious knife zealots! The post itself is chuck worthy, never minding whatever engineering debates which bring you to chuckles!

Not sure how to respond to this. I doubt manufacturers consider tracking chips.

I’ve lost some slip joints due to sliding out of pocket. Had a few fixed blades and clipped knives mysteriously disappear too, likely stolen in those particular instances.

I think I’ve broken the tips or blades of an equal or greater amount compared to knives lost. In my experience, durability is an important factor when choosing a knife for a task. Also I’ve had a couple locking knives fail, one resulting in a minor injury.

The title pulled me in ... but the read ... o_O

I have never lost or had a knife stolen ... now I realize it happens and it could happen to me tomorrow ...

and I have some very old well used and loved knives that may not be everything they were new ... but they are all functional ... a few old slip joints may have much smaller blades from many many sharpenings ... or a few may have a bit of blade play ... but in a pinch "they will still cut" ...

and maybe I'm in the minority here ... but even my highest value with customizations or after market scales and hardware knives don't hit $1000.00 ... and I wouldn't see much value it micro chipping knives that don't cost as much as the micro chip and tracking service probably would ...

now if I found Excalibur or Luke's light saber ... maybe ...

d2a737f666fb9823385232a9082604ea497272efffd39706cfad4fac1623c6ec.jpg

Detective

I have "lost" knives but it has always been lost and later found longest I had one lost was my Buck 55 got lost in my car for about 2 months. The only exception was a trash knife I found in the first place was lost and never found but I didn't much value the knife and it had a chipped and cracked blade anyhow. I abused that knife was surprised I never could break it further and I didn't care enough about it in the first place to notice it in fact I think I lost and and realized it was lost days later.

Can you imagine what would happen if knife makers installed tracking chips?

It would cause only A few less riots than if gun makers installed them. But if a company wanted to go bankrupt, that would be a good way to do it.

I wouldn't say one out of ten knives are lost or stolen. I've lost exactly one knife. A 1997 SOG Pentagon Elite, pre arc lock. I've had one knife confiscated, a Case Mini-copperhead. TSA, didn't know it was in my backpack, I hadn't planned on bringing it.

I've never had a knife break due to "operator error" as you call it. I've had two knives fail due to manufacturing error. Since joining BF 6 years ago, I've only bought "quality" knives.

The vast majority of owners are not knife nuts, and buy cheap, replaceable knives. They don't want to spend the time to sharpen or keep up with it. When its too dull to use, they toss it and buy another. We think its stupid, but its the way of the world. A disposable world.

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but I think the OP is saying that a knife rarely ever breaks except for user error and tinkering. And he chuckles at the triviality, then, of the amount of discussion we have of durability of steels and pivot and lock mechanisms.

Most knives will outlast its owner if properly used. Wear is not a concern, it just adds character.

N2s

If you haven’t lost, broken or had a knife stolen then you must have a very uneventful life style. Throughout my lifetime I have had many different types of work and mostly hard on tools and body. For me knives are a necessary tools just like all the other many tools I have. That’s just a fact of life for me. The older and more mature I got I became more responsible and more mindful of what, where, when, why and how to use and keep my tools but I also found that I can’t do as well when I’m tired or overwhelmed. I simply do the best I can to take care of my knives and tools but I don’t loose any sleep if I loose or break one or two. That’s why I don’t buy or use an expensive limited edition or rare collectibles for work or use. But I do want and need a good dependable sharp knife that’s worth having.

An enormous amount of mental gymnastics occur on this forum to quantify the "durability" of different knifes, steels and knife-mechanism systems. I've only purchased 5 knives since joining these forums a year ago and 1 was stolen and the other 4 are still working like brand new. I imagine 9 out of 10 knives on this forum no longer "function" for the owner because they were lost or stolen vs. broken or worn out. Out of that last 1 out of 10... broken or worn out, I'm guessing 9 out of 10 were clearly operator error, either in the field or while trying to impose "improvements" to their knife. Considering the above, I kind of chuckle at some of the engineering debates on this site.

Hmmm.......I have to say I've never lost a knife. Not one. Don't need the chip.

I have FOUND two good knives in my fairly long life, though. Lucky they didn't have tracking chips. :D

Guess I'm ahead of the game.

I have never had a knife break.

Back in the mid-1990s the toolbox in the bed of my pickup truck was broken into and a well worn Puma White Hunter and a Schrade Deerslayer were liberated. Those are the only two knives I've had stolen.

From the mid-1980s through early 2000s my job included traveling between multiple locations of the company I worked for. I also traveled extensively for business and pleasure. I probably lost eight or nine knives during that period of my life. I lost a Buck 500, a Buck 501, followed by two Buck 503s at approximately annual intervals.

Then I started to carry a Bucklite 444 which I had won a a Duck's Unlimited event, because why carry a more expensive knife if you are going to lose it? I carried that 3" plastic Buck from about 2002 until 2008, by which time it was pretty much worn out. It would no longer stay securely locked open. I'd say that is the only knife I've ever worn out. I eventually sent it in to Buck, they condemned it and sent me a free modern comparable as a replacement. I do have a couple of other knives that are well worn and semi-retired, but they are still usable. I've also had to pitch some cheap promo type knifes that fell apart with minimal use.

In 2008 a new Delica took the EDC role over from the old Bucklite. After not losing the Delica for six or seven years and not losing any other knives, I realized that the time when I was prone to lose knives was a thing of the past. Since then I have greatly expanded my knife collection.

All my knives are bought with the intention of use, not simply collection. Sometimes I look at a knife and think, no that's too much for something you'll probably lose. I use the same argument with myself to limit the amount I spend on smartphones too.

Back