Lost Knife Blues

Hey BF,

I haven't lost a knife in at least 15 years.... until today.

Wrapping up a four day weekend and went to my gun club to shoot my new to me Beretta Bobcat in .22lr. It was made in 1986 but didn't appear to have been shot very much. So anyway, expecting it to be finicky with ammo, I took my Benchmade Bugout OD Green version along as a spent case extraction tool.

Sure enough, after a couple of hundred rounds, a dirty chamber and a blow back designed pistol caused a few ejection issues and I laid the Bugout on the bench to pop spent casings out.

After wrapping up, cleaned up the spent brass, took my targets down and packed up.

An hour later at Lowe's, felt my pocket and no Bugout. Went back to the club, no knife, checked my truck, no knife, checked my bag, no knife.

Damn. Gone. Don't remember picking it up off the bench but I double checked before I left and it wasn't there. No idea where the damn thing disappeared too.

I don't have to replace it, I have plenty of knives, but I was really starting to appreciate this one. Not a big Benchmade fan to begin with, and even less after the gun thing.

Very tempted to swallow my pride and buy another one however or at least see what shows on the exchange.

I'll try to give myself a couple of days and see if I can live without the Bugout but a damn terrible day to an otherwise excellent long weekend.

Thanks for reading.

I understand what you are going through. I lost my Dfly but never replaced it, hoping it might be hiding in my storage pod.

When my first SAK disappeared, I was devastated. It's gotta be in this crazy house somewhere.

You think that's bad? My wife lost her limited-edition (of 250) rainbow Benchmade Auto-Benchmite, that I had custom-engraved and gave her as a gift for our 5th wedding anniversary. :( She used to carry it in her big wallet in her purse. She has "no idea" how it could have fallen out or gotten lost. o_O Still have the box somewhere. (Pics not mine)

IMG_3791.jpg IMG_3792.jpg

Put a large, conspicuous note up on the bulletin board in the clubhouse. If any member found it, I’d think you’d have a good chance of getting it back. I know it’d go that way at my club, anyhow. Good luck and--at least--don’t replace it immediately. Give it some time to see if it makes its way back home or not.

I've yet to lose a knife but have been guilty of losing a lot of pens. A LOT of pens. Pens including a Hinderer and many space pens.

I just stopped carrying expensive pens as I couldn't count on myself being conscious of them.

Sorry about your knife. I thought I lost my Manix a year or so ago but it turned up after being MIA for a few years. Hopefully the same happens in your case as well.

The only knife I've lost was my black Kershaw Shallot. I miss that knife more than you'd believe, even though I have more than 10 Spyderco and Benchmades, I still wish I had that damn Kershaw.

OP, it's your lucky day. This will make you forget that old thing.

https://www.benchmade.com/535-191.html

A $750 Bugout? LOL, uhhhhh... o_O

giphy.gif

....Very tempted to swallow my pride and buy another one however or at least see what shows on the exchange.
I would. It helps remove the taint of loosing one.

Sometimes think I lost a knife and then it turns up later. The only knife I can honestly say I lost in recent years is a SAK that I carried forever. It was beat up and I left it at a job site about 50 miles for home. Not going back for that.

Left a step ladder at a house I was working on. Months later I was back there doing some work and there it was leaning against a wall where I left it.

Last edited:
I HATE loosing stuff!

My home has a wormhole to another dimension. In the last several months it’s swallowed my car keys, my spectacles, my ear pods, and more. I’m not talking misplaced—I mean gone forever.

It’s been a few years since I lost a knife. I’ve misplaced a few but luckily found ‘em after a panic.

I understand what you are going through. I lost my Dfly but never replaced it, hoping it might be hiding in my storage pod.

When my first SAK disappeared, I was devastated. It's gotta be in this crazy house somewhere.

The thing about SAKs is once the toothpick is gone, it’s gone for good.

My mother just discovered my missing red super tinker. Toothpick and tweezers missing, not that I ever used them. I had thought it we accidentally left it at the hospital. I ended ordering an American flag version. Now I have two. If my Wenger nomad ever shows up, I'll be on my way to a collection of 3 corkscrew-less SAK's.

I can't speak to the Bugout, except to say they have been a knife of interest to me and I love all great knives....

However, I can relate to the feeling of losing / misplacing a knife; the burn of realizing that your knife is not to be found.

I left one of my vintage Vic waiters in a rental car (BE DAMNED THOSE CHECKPOINT CHARLEY METAL DETECTORS IN OFFICE BUILDINGS) on a business trip to Chitcago.

I hope your knife comes back to you, but in the interim, enjoy the opportunity to buy two replacements....just in case....

best

mqqn

I've yet to lose a knife but have been guilty of losing a lot of pens. A LOT of pens. Pens including a Hinderer and many space pens.

I just stopped carrying expensive pens as I couldn't count on myself being conscious of them.

Sorry about your knife. I thought I lost my Manix a year or so ago but it turned up after being MIA for a few years. Hopefully the same happens in your case as well.
I hear ya on the pens. I too lost 2 Hinderer investigator pens (1 bronze ano/1 copper)

I bought a ti-bolt and it's been with me ever since (knock on wood). I think the larger size helps.

I did lose my manix. It was a CF version with Cruwear. I had it at work and noticed later that night it was gone. I bought an M4 jade to replace it, but later also re purchased the CF cruwear version. I think it may have gotten picked up on one of my service calls, or accidentally thrown out.

I lost a couple of SAK's which sucks. One was a present from the wife, and the other was a replacement for it.

The first SAK was almost certainly stolen (used as a door jamb up high on a service call). The 2nd one was my fault. Dropped it in the dirt or down a pipe I was installing on an underground drainage job. Searched forever and couldn't find it. Even cut a couple sections of pipe I had installed.

I also briefly lost my LG insingo, but found it in my van under some things.

Overall I've been lucky.

To the op, if it were me I'd wait maybe a week or two. After you're about sure it's gone buy a replacement. I found that's the best solution when I misplace something. Otherwise I grumble about it in the back of my thoughts when I'm reminded of it.

The OD green versions look nice. Fingers crossed it turns up.

I feel your pain. Having lost a knife for the first time a couple years ago, I remember in addition to being upset that the knife was gone, it was twice as painful having to accept that it was my fault it was gone. The knife eventually got replaced, but I didn't forgive myself for losing it. Today, I look at it as a lesson learned. I hope yours turns up.

Cosmo

I feel for you.
I destroyed my SAK skipper mowing.
Had used it while working on mower, put it down on grass.
Finished what i was doing started the mower went on my merry way.
Next run back the other way :eek: needlesss to say the pieces didn't look a knife any more.
Completely mangled. Ooops.
Mitch

Back