Lost pocket knife PANIC

Walk in the door, Hang up my coat, goto bedroom change pants... WAIT WHERES MY KNIFE??
I took it this morning, right? Check where it would be if i didn't ... its not there.
I definitely brought it with me... WHY did i bring it, i wasn't going to need it.

Retrace my steps
I went to a store and walked around for an hour. I would of heard it fall, right?
Go back and look? Surely it would be gone.
When i got home i changed oil in 2 cars so it could be on the ground in the driveway?
No, I would of seen it picking up tools. Check anyway.... it's not there.
Maybe it fell out in a car? Doubt it... Check both cars... NOPE
Now what? check my pants again? Yep .... still not there

Where can i look? My coat? Sure... i didn't put it in there but i'll just check all the pockets anyway..... NOPE!~ WTF WHERE IS IT?!?!

Slam my coat back on the hook and bam something hits the floor.
NOW THAT'S WHAT I SHOULD HEAR WHEN I DROP MY KNIFE.. . THERE IT IS!

I guess the clip got transferred to my coat from my pocket and was holding on.
I've had glimpses of this phenomenon when other knives fell on the floor when i took my coat off sometimes. Something about the short pocket clip and this pocket position slightly below the right front pocket on my pants. Something new to look out for

I lost my small sebenza for over a year. Turned out to was DEEP in the couch. Had already checked couch but a deep cleaning later found it.

thought it was gone forever.
Not a good feeling!

Edit: No clip on knife, just slipped out of my pocket

Last edited:
I was walking through the house the other day, went through a doorway a little close to the door handle, we have levers, not round handles. Just slick as poo the lanyard went through the door handle and I didn't even feel the knife slip out of my pocket. I heard it swing against the door, looked and "huh?". Occasionally a pocket of my cargo shorts will catch on one of the handles too, that'll stop you in your tracks, a little annoying.

I do know the 'lost knife panic' though, fortunately only once was one really lost and luckily it was easy to replace.

Had a similar thing happen a few weeks back! Looked everywhere so I decided it had to have fallen out while I was in my truck and well sure enough I open my truck door and it's hanging on the steering wheel! Come to find out I had a couple of holes in my steering wheel cover and when I slid out the pocket clip got hooked in.

I found a friends Infidel in one of my couch's about 6 months after he 'lost' it. It was fun giving it back, the look on his face was priceless.

I like a happy ending. :)

Here are my tales of lost knives-

One day at work (shipping job) I reached down to my pocket for my Bradley Alias folder, and it wasn't there. Panic shot through my body. The knife cost $300, so I REALLY didn't want to lose it.

I retraced my steps, trying to figure out what might have happened to it (Did I put it down somewhere? Could it have fallen out of my pocket? Could it have caught on something?). Then I thought of the very large box I had carried earlier and the plastic straps wrapped around it. I ran over to the outgoing package area where I dropped off the box and there was my knife, dangling from one of the straps by the clip. I was VERY lucky some less than honorable co-worker didn't see it first.

I still have that knife.

maE5VUE.jpg

This little Valor knife must be lucky, because I lost it twice around the age of 12, both times away from home, and both times it came back to me. As with many of my knives, it was a prized possession that I carried with me everywhere.

One time it slipped out of my pocket at a friends house while I was sitting in a big puffy recliner. Days later my friends father found it. I was lucky to get it back because my friend told me that his dad had considered keeping it (even though he knew it was mine) but my friend convinced him to return it.

The other time, one Saturday my father and I were running some errands, and at one location I was using the knife to cut stuff. I put the knife down on a wooden crate, and forgot that I had done so. It wasn't until we got home that I remembered. I begged my father to take me back but he didn't want to drive all that way. He said I'd have to wait until the following Saturday when we were going back. No way did I think the knife would still be there, it was a high-traffic area. That was one of the LONGEST weeks of my young life. The following Saturday we went back, and upon arrival I leaped from the car and ran to the spot. And there was my knife, sitting right where I left it, still open.

ynhcXPk.jpg

One more, around the age of 11 I had a small Imperial bowie knife, carbon steel with black plastic handles (my first fixed-blade). I carried it in an ankle sheath I had made myself (so I could carry it without anyone knowing). I was at the shore here in San Diego, crawling around on the rocks near the waterline chasing crabs. The knife fell out of my sheath and clattered down between the rocks. I could see my knife, but it was deep down in the rocks right at the waterline. It wasn't too deep for my arm to reach, but the waves were crashing in higher and higher and I decided that trying to retrieve my knife wasn't worth the risk of drowning.

I often think about that knife (I really liked it). It's the one that "got away". I imagine it's still there, likely just a sliver of rust with plastic handles pinned to it.

Last edited:
I misplaced a Griptilian. Found it after I purchased another.

The cure for loosing any knife is to purchase another. All the knives I own doubles of seem to be safe. Anything I only own one of is the one I always have issues with.

Seems like my most common prayer is, “Heavenly Father, I can not find _______ .” Keys, knife, cell phone, and ATM card are the top of my list.

There is a reason I like orange scales on my knives.

Last edited:
I had a Spyderco UKPK go missing. Searched high and low. A week later I found it hanging by the clip from the bungee hem cinch on my jacket I had been wearing when it went missing. It had obviously hooked on, then smoothly slid out my pocket when I took the jacket off.

The best is when you are looking everywhere for something for 10+ minutes only to realize it's in your hand!

I walked around the house the other day with nephews in tow looking for my glasses. I'm nearly blind without them. They were on my head. I had put them there to use my cell.

I personally moved away from pocket clips for this exact reason. I now use a fob with a carabiner... Not that that particular method is fool proof either. :rolleyes:

The best is when you are looking everywhere for something for 10+ minutes only to realize it's in your hand!

I walked around the house the other day with nephews in tow looking for my glasses. I'm nearly blind without them. They were on my head. I had put them there to use my cell.

A friend of mine recently lost a very expensive pair of glasses with flexible titanium frames.

He had them on his head like you and fell when his dog was pulling on the leash. It was dark out and the park grass was covered with ice. He lost his eyewear when his head hit a tree. He has looked and looked but has never found them.

I am glad your story has a happy ending. A couple years ago I decided my Cold Steel Scimitar would be my EDC. I carried it for several weeks with no problem. Then one day I was changing clothes after coming home from the gym and my knife was not in my pocket. I did the usual panic, looking everywhere. The next day I found it laying on my closet floor. Go figure.

I'm currently missing a Delica. I've been looking for the safe place I put that for three years. One thing for certain....is it is not in any of my safes...

I lost a custom slipjoint from J. Oeser multiple times. Longest was for a week.

I stupidly sold it while worried about buying house at the same time as Christmas (though I better free up some cash for my boys for Christmas presents...wife found out I sold it and was sad. She said Christmas presents were all bought and paid for long before Christmas....I looked at getting it back but I sold it for $800....it had sold twice more and diddn't think it could swing paying $2200 to get it back. )

eEtqBZL.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Wenger that was very similar to the Victorinox S17 Evo, can't remember the name maybe Forester? It was my EDC for many years, loved that knife.

I was fishing on a jetty, left it on some stairs next to me after cutting some line, then forgot about it when I packed up and went home. Realized I'd left it there a couple hours later, had that sinking feeling in the gut and it was gone by the time I went back to look for it. That was the only decent knife I've lost so far, touch wood.

I guess the clip got transferred to my coat from my pocket and was holding on.

I have some clothes that will grab clips. Around my house I don't worry about it too much but I think twice about what knife I'm carrying if I wear those clothes away from the house.

Back