Love for the Swiss Army Knife?

Love for the Swiss Army Knife?

I know there are a few people around here that like Swiss Army Knives. Ever since I saw a Ron Hood video for the first time back in 2000, I have always felt pretty comfortable with what a good SAK can do.
Any love for them?

Vic Farmer, every single day. I have nothing but love for a SAK.
photo_zps1742358d.jpg

I carry a lot of different knives, but I almost always have a sak somewhere on me too. Lots of love.

A buddy of mine was using his Marine drill sergeants old Imperial camp/utility knife with bone scales. After about 70 years or more, the bone had worn down to a nice luster. I told him to put that knife up, and beat on my Vic pioneer with black alox scales. My blue alox Farmer is my favorite, but the black alox Pioneer is a great EDC folder. I got another one, but lost it in my accident last year (I kept my life and my foot, so fair trade ;)). I've got a new liner lock Soldier in my pack, but rarely use it. I use the Farmer all the time. After using the alox SAKs, the regular red plastic models seem low quality to me. I know they aren't but I am fickle.

I'm quite a fan of Vic SAKs. Trying to wein myself away from carrying my old favorite (Adventurer). Have carried one daily since the mid-1980's; Tinker, Soldier, Adventurer.... have quite a large selection of them and I keep one of the bigger (thicker) ones in my field bag. Probably going to accept my addiction and try to put the Adventurer into a EDC rotation of some sort. My latest are the Bantam (essentials to be carried with another knife) and Classic. Never owned a Classic before... not big enough, so it will probably stay in the box to be used as a gift eventually. Never been particularly entralled with the saw blades, but I know they work. I like simple and thin with a tooth pick, bottle opener, screw driver, tweezers, and a blade that big enough to cut something beyond opening a letter. I use one just about every single day for something.

Never leave home without some sort of SAK. I gave my main SAK to my dad so I'm stuck with my small SD. Girlfriend is gonna get me one so I'm pretty excited.

The electrician is my main EDC. I haven't found a modern folder yet that works as well for day to day things. It's no slouch for getting a fire going either. Wish they would bring back the plus model though.

Got several. Today the Super Tinker is riding shotgun in the right front pocket.

I love my saks.... they have proven there worth time and time again to me.. the only thing I dislike and it is nit picking mind you, is that they just seem to accumulate crap inside of them... with all the little nooks and crannies.. over all it;s not a bad thing.. considering the pros.. I just have to be mindful of cleaning them

Carry a pioneer at work , red farmer every where else have carried a tinker or adventurer many many miles too . I have a small box of sak's for back up
Roy

I usually alternate between my Camper and Forester

Does the camper have a corkscrew instead of phil screwdriver (per Hiker)?

-RB

I love my saks.... they have proven there worth time and time again to me.. the only thing I dislike and it is nit picking mind you, is that they just seem to accumulate crap inside of them... with all the little nooks and crannies.. over all it;s not a bad thing.. considering the pros.. I just have to be mindful of cleaning them

My OHT (old serrated ones before the rounder thumb grip) has been to some humid cruddy places and is gunked out. Real slow now to open. I usually open the big tools and then woosh it around in a creek while I'm out there. Problem is some of the sediment in creeks, rivers fill the tool with grit. Either way, it never hurt anyone's feelings!

-RB

I carry a Hiker 99 percent of the time.

Me too amigo.

I like um too. They have some great tools.

Bryan

I know you got some pics Bryan.

-RB

Nice selection...I recently started really acquiring more SAKs. I have a Swiss Army Tool Chest Plus, Tinker, one handed Trekker, Classic with lobster design, and an alox Pioneer. Looking for more. My wife understands the addiction.

Every pack I use has either a Farmer, Huntsman or Camper in it, always. I often carry a One-hand Trekker as my second carry when carrying a fixed blade in the woods.

Lotsa love for SAKs!

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Oh yes - I have a Vic on me every day, relentlessly. I carry a Vic Waiter.

Check out this cool setup that JK Handmade Knives makes to order - he calls it a Survival Knife Kit, and it has a Combat/Survival knife with your choice of options, and a leather sheath with a pouch made for a Vic Farmer. I chose the alox version for my kit.

It's everything you need, maybe add an axe or DBH.....

DSC_9652.JPG

DSC_9653.JPG

DSC_9661.JPG

DSC_9682.JPG

best

mqqn

Carry my OHT every day...and have four more stashed in cars and emergency equipment. Won't find me without one (sometimes two).

Back