Love for the Swiss Army Knife?

I have been collecting VICs for about 28 years. Thanks to MacGyver! I still have my first, in the kitchen, I like to open cans with it...it still works like the day I got it, on Easter Sunday, 1986.
I think its the "officers" model, but I am not sure.
I have a Farmer that got tons of pocket travel in the past, and a bunch of other models ranging from VERY old versions I scored at antique flea markets to modern ones..I never pass up a deal on a good SAK.

Last edited:
Peter Hathaway Capstick-African was an African hunter and guide. He also wrote several books, notably "Death in the long grass". Capstick said he would rather go into the bush without his rifle than his Swiss army knife. I believe he carried the Champion. I carry a "Tinker", ALWAYS. regards Henry

I love SAKs!
This is an old on going affair

I have SAKs everywhere..............
A secertary on my key ring, she comes every where with me
I even have a Classic in my FAK

Every set up I have, has its own SAKs
Huntsman for backpacking
Farmer for the field
Waiter for picnics
Pioneer for a BOB

Last edited:
Woods carry it is either a Red Alox Farmer or a Lumberjack (got a 2nd at BLADE this year). Boy Scout stuff I usually have my GAK OHT. My SAK for office carry is a Vic Compact. 2nd pocketknife I got as a kid was a SAK. Carried a Huntsman for a while in the Army. Saw to help clear stuff when building my hooch, Scissors for cutting medical tape & dressings, and the tweezers got used for splinters & ticks. Got the one with Black scales cause I'd only ever seen Red. Laid it down in the field and couldn't see it in the fading light and had to leave it. Stuck with Red after that. :(

Oh yes I carry a ALOX Farmer all the time just keeps going! One thing id love to have on the alox farmer are tweezers :thumbup:

I always have a Vic Huntsman on me around the office weekdays - perfect set of tools for me (saw, scissors, corkscrew, and large blade)
On weekends, I add a no-longer-made Vic Safari - perhaps the best SAK ever, although the new Forester or Dutch Dual have loads of potential.
My 2 cents.

I always carry a sak with me no matter what else I am carrying.
Jim

Woods carry it is either a Red Alox Farmer or a Lumberjack (got a 2nd at BLADE this year). Boy Scout stuff I usually have my GAK OHT. My SAK for office carry is a Vic Compact. 2nd pocketknife I got as a kid was a SAK. Carried a Huntsman for a while in the Army. Saw to help clear stuff when building my hooch, Scissors for cutting medical tape & dressings, and the tweezers got used for splinters & ticks. Got the one with Black scales cause I'd only ever seen Red. Laid it down in the field and couldn't see it in the fading light and had to leave it. Stuck with Red after that. :(

Cool, huntsman is my favorite right now.

Did you ever get my email?

-RB

I EDC a Farmer Alox but the Trekker NS often accompanies me in to the woods.

svhs.jpg

SAKs rock! I have 50+ Vics plus a handful of Wengers. First decent knife of any kind i had was a Vic Recruit. Favorites would be Huntsman, Swisschamp, Compact and OHT. Farmer is good but IMO needs scissors.

Bear/RB - got your email, thanks for the info. Finishing up an article this week, then I'll start on the Cub. Probably adding either the Farmer or Lumberjack to the Cub sheath. :)

I edc one everyday. the one handed trekker. it's one of my favorites. then the vic farmer. such amazing tools for such great prices. I mean the silver alox farmer is like 30 bucks from amazon. that is a steal!

Love for the Swiss Army Knife?
Ever since I saw a Ron Hood video for the first time back in 2000, I have always felt pretty comfortable with what a good SAK can do.

I've had SAKs for sometime, but never really considered them as a serious outdoors tool until seeing Ron Hood's affection. As a big-knife guy Ron was a die-hard SAK lover.

I still have a few of the older, discontinued Rucksack models which have been my favorite. The Outrider is my next choice, slightly larger, but with scissors. Of the ALOX models, I really like the Electrician Plus.

Every time I'm outdoors, I'll have a SAK in my pocket, bag or HPG Kit Bag...they are the ubiquitous outdoor tool!

ROCK6

I carry a Victorinox farmer with me all day everyday. Fantastic blades, great for use when the ZT0560 or a fixed blade isn't necessary.

I carry a Climber in town, and either a Farmer or Huntsman in the woods. You could survive a long time with any of them...

Back