Love for the Swiss Army Knife?

Love my huntsman. Most carried blade by far. Had an outrider with corkscrew instead of Phillips I liked too, don't know what happened to it.

I have a Victorinox Soldier with an 86 date on the blade; it had been a display sample in a booth at an NSGA trade show and they sold it cheap rather than pack it up at the end of the show. Since it has no bail, it is streamlined enough that it doesn't play havoc with pocket linings... that was one drawback to some of the USGI pocket knives I occasionally carried prior to the Vic. I've carried this Soldier as a matter of routine ever since, and I feel sort of incomplete whenever circumstances dictate I leave it at home.

I wish I could relate a really stirring outdoor adventure starring this SAK, but it's life has been fairly low-key even though it gets used so often. Lately, it does considerable duty as the family's default bottle opener since it is apparently easier for Mrs. theorangecat to ask me for my knife than it is to rummage through a drawer looking for an opener (or rummage through her purse to get her own SAK).

Last edited:
I remember by SAK fondly from my scout days, I put that knife through a lot and it held up like a champ! I wish I still had it.....
There are two in our house now, helpful keychain versions.

I was introduced to the SAK by The Boy Scouts and Macgyver. In the Marines A sergeant named Kingery taught me how handy they are. My hikers (about 5) have served me well in my 20 years in aviation. I've lost all but two and one of those's blade is worn very thin but it still works great. They cut well, have well shaped tools, a razor sharp saw, and quality construction. Makes for a must have in my book.

The Macgyver TV show really (1985>1991) introduced me to SAKs. Prior to that I felt they were gimicky and "kids knives". This is precisely the time when I bought my very first SAK (1985) to carry in South America. It was my steady pocket treasure that I decided couldn't live without. The Tinker I had with me was taken in a hotel room, and I spent a full day in Medellin Colombia searching for one. I was pretty much willing to pay whatever price I had to replace it. It got used every single day and was indespensible for opening Pepsi's and sometimes cutting my dinner in small restaurantes. The tweezers got used a lot.

Quick morning pic.
0711132147a_zpscb4c821b.jpg

A Classic (regular or SD) is always on my keys or attached to a backpack. Great utility in such a small package. For edc I find most comfort in a Cadet.
When I'm out on a dayhike or a fossil hunt or whatever, I usually rely on a Climber or Farmer. Great tools, I've used them a lot.

I have done a lot of things lately with just a swisstool spirit. Don't meet too much more than that for most things.

Far as cleaning them, brake cleaner and compressed air!

What is amazing about SAK's (to me) is how high AND consistent the quality is given how many they produce. Truly amazing.

I've carried a SAK since 1970 in Vetnam. Sargent demonstrated its value and that was the start. Don't remeber the model of the first one. I sold it to an incoming troop.

Since then I have had one in my pocket all of the time, except when flying. (No comment on that) I've even chosen to check bags so I have it without having to buy another. Not that buying one is difficult, just sometimes finding a vendor that carries the model like gets a bit old.

The model I carry most all of the time is the Explorer. Have a whole bunch, just for the fun of it and for carrying one in a while.

What is amazing about SAK's (to me) is how high AND consistent the quality is given how many they produce. Truly amazing.

That has also impressed me greatly. Every Victorinox product I have had was of very good quality. For the price, they are about as good as a guy can get.

I carry a GAK one hand and Classic with scissors every day. I have another of the larger models in the dresser that flies in checked bags as it is non locking. There are just like pants, I don't pay much attention to the models or details but I am rarely without them ;)

Bill

I've always got one on me !
DSCF8687.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF8677.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF3500.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
November2011Hike022.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF2076_zpsf09135a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF2788_zpsdc970a64.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF2789_zps68b0dece.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I lost my Farmer about 2 months ago. Only knife I've ever lost. I still hold out hope that I'll find it lying around somewhere in my car or around the house. Time will tell.

I have my Cadet on my keys right now. Red Alox limited.

Time to buy another. Once you get used to them and dependant on the tools, I find it hard to not have one on me.

Likely the oldest knife that I own is a ''Rucksack'' SAK. I am still attracted to the untility of its large locking cutting blade, its saw blade etc. A have a few more smaller versions. Kind of like one in the tool box and one in the fishing tackle box type deal. Always ready to do the common things that most knives do for us. I more or less moved from SAK s to multi tools. I appreciate both.
:thumbup:

Back