love SAK ans +B Robertson Bits

Could some one please tell me why Victorinox wont put a Robertson bit on any knife?

It is the most common bit #2 Robertson bit in Canada but have yet to see a knife with one one ot

It seems there are lots of Philips for the Americans and Flat head s for the euopeans

but alas no Robertson bits or drivers for the Canadians.

please help very curious in Canada

Like you said, the rest of the world has not yet caught up with the wonderful Canadian innovation, so, we, Canadian SAK enthusiasts are left with the Swisstool "plus" bit set as the only option. The ratchet with extension are fantastic, give one a try, if you have not yet tried it.

As an electrician in Canada, our trade is completely dedicated to the Robertson bit, almost every part we work with is with the robby bit (and occasionally hex on huge lugs)..... Sometimes when we come across American parts that take either flat blade, phillip bits or a combination of both we are completely disgusted. They strip, the slip, they wont hold onto a bit and takes much more effort to get full torque to make sure of a solid connection.

I can't imagine what a Robertson-less society feels like. It probably resembles a lot of heat, fire and sweat.

that square size bits we do not have much at all in switzerland. as best i remember i saw one day such by a washing machine and that was all. maybe thats why vic did not offer to much of such jet.

Peter Lymburner Robertson, a Canuck hardware salesman, invented and patented the square drive, the hardened drivers and the colour coding of handles, already in 1908. He put the sleepy town of Milton (near Toronto) on the map via setting up shop there. Unfortunately he steadfast refused the sell the manufacture rights to a certain industrialist by name of Henry Ford who then turned around and bought out the Philips patent in 1918 and shunned the use of non-USA fasteners. Canada and Scandinavian countries embraced the Robertson but very few others. As long as the #2 or #3 screw head is not on too tight I always use the can opener tip to remove those screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an electrician in Canada, our trade is completely dedicated to the Robertson bit, almost every part we work with is with the robby bit (and occasionally hex on huge lugs)..... Sometimes when we come across American parts that take either flat blade, phillip bits or a combination of both we are completely disgusted. They strip, the slip, they wont hold onto a bit and takes much more effort to get full torque to make sure of a solid connection.

I can't imagine what a Robertson-less society feels like. It probably resembles a lot of heat, fire and sweat.
Expo 86 in Vancouver was the very first time the USSR showed off their wares at a world exposition. I discretely asked to cross the ropes at the Soviet displays so as to be able to inspect the fasteners they used on their spacecraft and airplanes and lo and behold all of their stuff was held together with common (slot) screws/bolts. Automation and efficiency doesn't work well with that archaic system and my awe of technology from behind the Iron Curtain diminished considerably, then and there.

what is used is mainly some sort of cross head, pozi and else, as i say all square heads like the ones mentioned are not common at all. point is if they would use only say 2 sizes or a system and finish, if technically possible that would make life easyer.

what is used is mainly some sort of cross head, pozi and else, as i say all square heads like the ones mentioned are not common at all. point is if they would use only say 2 sizes or a system and finish, if technically possible that would make life easyer.
Posi-drive is a relative newcomer and is a combination Robertson and Philips. Robertsons are self-aligning, stay on the driver at all angles and do not 'cam out' such as a Philips does. As to when the Torx was introduced I have no idea but in essence is merely an evolution of the 106 year old Robertson patent. Where Robertsons still shine (compared to Torx) is on paint, dirt and debris-filled heads; easier to clean out.

Back