Loveless Shop Day 1

allen456

Loveless Shop

Hey folks! just thought I would share a few pics from my first day at the Loveless Shop with Jim Merritt. We spent most of the day getting to know each other and sharing stories. There is an overwhelming feeling when you walk in the door, a sense of the amazing knife work that has been accomplished here over the decades. The aroma of steel, handle material, machines, and machine lubricant is intoxicating, similar to walking into a garage of yesteryear. Several rooms jut from side to side, all designated for different task. Seeing the patterns on the wall, machines all over, knives in progress, shipping boxes stacked, gave a sense of being home in my shop or at Fiddleback Forge, however, I was standing in a world of greatness.

The stories Jim shared with me today were amazing and he was open to answer any question I had and let me into his world both on a personal and professional level, almost as if we had been friends for years. You could sense he misses his long time friend and partner in the business. We spent some time going over details that I had questions about which of course led to even further questions. I am looking forward to being back at the shop at 6am tomorrow and continuing to attempt to soak in as much knowledge and experiences as possible.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Last edited by a moderator:
The level of organization in that shop is epic. Truly a lifetimes worth of dedication and passion packed in there. Incredible photos Allen. Thanks for letting us have a peek!

Yeah mate!! Drink it all in and absorb the history, but most importantly enjoy yourself!

That is pretty cool stuff.. Loveless knives are very special . I know you will come away with some great knowledge and a lot of history.

-Mark

Wow - you are one lucky dude! Standing in the shadows of greatness!

That is awesome that Jim continues to share his incredible knowledge.

Eric

Allen what a fantastic opportunity to gleen from one if the best!

Allen,

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures! WOW! It is cool to see your pictures of the shop I have seen so many times in other stories and articles. You are really there! Learn, my friend, I can't wait to see how this influences your knife making!

-Will

Awesome! We all hope you are having a great time. You missed a little ice storm...

Simply amazing! We are all super excited about how this experience is going to influence your amazing work.

Back