Loving Ebony! and other random Father's Day musings

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
Warning, long rambling thoughts inbound...

Several years ago I had a nice example of an early 1900s ebony covered clip blade jack knife. Very nice, super black and dense covers. I gave it away to a nephew of one of my co-workers who needed a knife. I also had a Schatt and Morgan heritage jack, but I sold it years ago too.

At the same time, I had an Imperial Easy Open jack from the 36-52 timeframe. I considered it then and consider it now one of the best knives I've ever owned. I gave it away to a gentleman in Canada, if my memory serves.

I've been pining away for another ebony covered knife, but just haven't found the right one. At the same time, I have been casually looking at old Imperial EOs thing that if I ever found as good an example that I had before, I would probably pick one up.

My son was born in October, extremely premature by 13 weeks. He was 1 lb 11 oz (774 grams) when he was born and spent 62 days in the NICU. It's taken this long to figure out what knife suited him. I first thought a Mnandi, which I bought and immediately returned. Just left me cold. Nothing against it, just not right. Then I thought, hey, maybe I could get a single blade peanut, make it an easy open and recover it in Mammoth ivory or something else fun from my days in knifemaking. But alas, couldn't find a single spear peanut.

I settled on a GEC 14. My EDC is a 15 TC Barlow in red saw cut. My little guy seems to love red objects above all other colors, so I wanted to stick with red. I picked up Kaw10e's red bone 14 off the forum. In the meantime, I found a single blade clip 14 in ebony and everything came flooding back about how much I love deep, pure black ebony.

So now I'm thinking, maybe I should look for a single blade, spear, ebony 15 and finally combine the ebony and the EO notch to make my perfect knife. Did GEC ever make that knife? Just a single spear blade 15 in ebony or blackwood? I figure I'll add the notch myself.

If you've made it this far, it's good to be back on BF. I've missed the porch.

Brian,

Thank you for this post on Father's Day weekend.

Our first daughter was born ~4wks premature and footling breach. It was in a military hospital and eventually we learned she should've been taken C-Section. But we were young and trusting. My wife had severe bleeding and several complications and our daughter was 4lbs 10oz and to this day, nearly 30 years later, has hip issues.

Then this January, the day before her birthday, that daughter delivered a 10lb 4oz baby. Exactly the opposite of her. It was a terrible birth and both mom and baby were legitimately in danger. A hundred years ago I doubt either would've survived.

But they did.

I only say all that to express that I have some experience with troubled births but less than two pounds and that premature? God bless you! That's incredible and I'm so happy things are good for you and your family.

Knives are a part of both my daughter's lives and are already a part of my granddaughter's life, even if she's too young to know it.

Happy farther's day. :thumbsup::)

Warning, long rambling thoughts inbound...

Several years ago I had a nice example of an early 1900s ebony covered clip blade jack knife. Very nice, super black and dense covers. I gave it away to a nephew of one of my co-workers who needed a knife. I also had a Schatt and Morgan heritage jack, but I sold it years ago too.

At the same time, I had an Imperial Easy Open jack from the 36-52 timeframe. I considered it then and consider it now one of the best knives I've ever owned. I gave it away to a gentleman in Canada, if my memory serves.

I've been pining away for another ebony covered knife, but just haven't found the right one. At the same time, I have been casually looking at old Imperial EOs thing that if I ever found as good an example that I had before, I would probably pick one up.

My son was born in October, extremely premature by 13 weeks. He was 1 lb 11 oz (774 grams) when he was born and spent 62 days in the NICU. It's taken this long to figure out what knife suited him. I first thought a Mnandi, which I bought and immediately returned. Just left me cold. Nothing against it, just not right. Then I thought, hey, maybe I could get a single blade peanut, make it an easy open and recover it in Mammoth ivory or something else fun from my days in knifemaking. But alas, couldn't find a single spear peanut.

I settled on a GEC 14. My EDC is a 15 TC Barlow in red saw cut. My little guy seems to love red objects above all other colors, so I wanted to stick with red. I picked up Kaw10e's red bone 14 off the forum. In the meantime, I found a single blade clip 14 in ebony and everything came flooding back about how much I love deep, pure black ebony.

So now I'm thinking, maybe I should look for a single blade, spear, ebony 15 and finally combine the ebony and the EO notch to make my perfect knife. Did GEC ever make that knife? Just a single spear blade 15 in ebony or blackwood? I figure I'll add the notch myself.

If you've made it this far, it's good to be back on BF. I've missed the porch.
Great post Brian. We need a thread celebrating ebony and maybe this will kick it off. Incredible story of your son's entrance into this world and a happy ending thankfully. Just a reminder of what's truly important.

Brian,

Our first daughter was born ~4wks premature and footling breach. It was in a military hospital and eventually we learned she should've been taken C-Section. But we were young and trusting. My wife had severe bleeding and several complications and our daughter was 4lbs 10oz and to this day, nearly 30 years later, has hip issues.

Then this January, the day before her birthday, that daughter delivered a 10lb 4oz baby. Exactly the opposite of her. It was a terrible birth and both mom and baby were legitimately in danger. A hundred years ago I doubt either would've survived.

But they did.

I only say all that to express that I have some experience with troubled births but less than two pounds and that premature? God bless you! That's incredible and I'm so happy things are good for you and your family.

Knives are a part of both my daughter's lives and are already a part of my granddaughter's life, even if she's too young to know it.

There's just no end to the blessings we all have to be thankful for and your story is a perfect example.

Happy Fathers Day men.

IMG_8232.jpg

Brian,

But they did.

I agree. 100 years ago I'd have lost both of them. 50 years ago I'd have probably lost him. 30 years ago he would have likely still had problems. Even 2 years ago he wouldn't have had as good of a time. We sit 30 miles from a small baby unit within a great NICU. It is for extremely small babies and just opened last year. It is dark all the time and on complete noise restriction. Very few of them in the US. Some of the best nursing care I've ever seen. Can't hardly think about it all yet. It's still too overwhelming.

But happy father's day to you too! Grandpas are pretty special people.

Happy Father's Day
My son was also born at 24 weeks and 1lb. 7oz. Also spent three months in the NICU.
I share this not to steal your thunder, but to let you know how well he turned out. He's healthy, smart as anybody, and also loves ebony knives. It can be a very scary experience, but keep the faith. Knife picture for content...

Happy Father's Day
My son was also born at 24 weeks and 1lb. 7oz. Also spent three months in the NICU.
I share this not to steal your thunder, but to let you know how well he turned out. He's healthy, smart as anybody, and also loves ebony knives. It can be a very scary experience, but keep the faith. Knife picture for content...
You aren't stealing anyone's thunder! I'm glad your son is doing great! It can seem silly to other people, but it really does make me feel better to hear stories like yours.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it made my wife and I closer and he's home and perfect and that's all that matters.

...So now I'm thinking, maybe I should look for a single blade, spear, ebony 15 and finally combine the ebony and the EO notch to make my perfect knife. Did GEC ever make that knife? Just a single spear blade 15 in ebony or blackwood? I figure I'll add the notch myself...
Welcome back Brian! To answer your question GEC made a single spear, ebony Boy's Knife on the 15 frame in 2012. Also a Huckelberry Boy's Knife single spear in ebony that comes with a chain and is still available at some dealers.
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

this one is a 14
7kYTQQm.jpg

Last edited:
To answer your question GEC made a single spear, ebony Boy's Knife on the 15 frame in 2012. Also a Huckelberry Boy's Knife single spear in ebony that comes with a chain and is still available at some dealers.

this one is a 14
7kYTQQm.jpg
So you're saying there's a chance! Not likely, being that far in the past, but still possible. Single spear ebony 14 might be easier to find though! Thanks.

My nephew/godson was born five months premature. He spent half a year in NICU, and his body wasn't strong enough to hold his head up until almost his first birthday. Because he was born so early he's had more than his fair share of health problems -- he had heart surgery when he was one, he's legally blind, and he'll always have weak and underdeveloped lungs. But he's a happy child and intellectually he's top notch. All else considered things have turned out about as well as we could have hoped for. I'm thankful he was born 14 years ago and not 40.

Welcome back Brian! To answer your question GEC made a single spear, ebony Boy's Knife on the 15 frame in 2012. Also a Huckelberry Boy's Knife single spear in ebony that comes with a chain and is still available at some dealers.
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

this one is a 14
7kYTQQm.jpg
They also made a single blade ebony spear 15 just last year. As above some are still available with the bails and chains, but I’m sure you could come by one without them on the exchange

upload_2019-6-14_23-51-22.jpeg

Ebony has a rich tradition, some have lighter streaks others are pitch black, here's one from @RayseM that's quite nice ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

And Fathers day, my dad was certainly nothing to brag about and not one I ever wanted to emulate, which I think helped me to turn out as I have, avoiding to be like him was a reverse role model of sorts "don't do that stuff" kind of thing, not that I'm all that and a bag of chips, but I feel a bit maybe a little better for it.

My oldest grandson also had a troubled start, 12 years ago now, the nurse checked her, left her with the family and he did a somersault and got the cord around his neck and lost air, which they had to do an emergency C section but not before it caused severe damage and cerebral palsy for him, 12 years now and not able to talk or walk is rough on his mom for sure but he is surely loved a great deal and we still hold out hope that one day he will walk on his own, he scoots about the house sitting Indian like and scissors out with his legs, he's pretty quick!

From a rough start;

carter_momma by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

To a happy boy that loves his papa I wish all fathers a very happy Fathers Day this weekend !

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Back