Loving the Ratweiler in SR101 3/16th inch iteration!

Any others out there digging the thinner Ratweiler? After many years of using the heck out of the classic Basic 9, I am switching gears and using the "anorexic" Ratweiler. I have the mega version as well but it is just a bit too meaty for an all-around camping blade although I believe this knife to be just about as bomb proof as they come. So, if you ever have to pry your way out of a downed helicopter, this knife is your ticket!

The 3/16th of an inch thickness works for me and represents something of a sweet spot. Also, the handle style is growing on me. I find the blade to be very comfortable in the hand and not tiring to use for a protracted period. Not a bad chopper either, but it certainly won't replace the 1311 any time soon. I guess I just like the Ratweiler and thought I'd see how many others concur.

Any others out there digging the thinner Ratweiler? After many years of using the heck out of the classic Basic 9, I am switching gears and using the "anorexic" Ratweiler. I have the mega version as well but it is just a bit too meaty for an all-around camping blade although I believe this knife to be just about as bomb proof as they come. So, if you ever have to pry your way out of a downed helicopter, this knife is your ticket!

The 3/16th of an inch thickness works for me and represents something of a sweet spot. Also, the handle style is growing on me. I find the blade to be very comfortable in the hand and not tiring to use for a protracted period. Not a bad chopper either, but it certainly won't replace the 1311 any time soon. I guess I just like the Ratweiler and thought I'd see how many others concur.
I also got a mega but would love a thinner version.

3/16” is thick enough for almost any knife. I don’t see the need for 1/4”+ Infi or sr101 blade. The Jackhammer 10, TGULB, and other .20ish blades are plenty thick. I think lighter is better. I also believe a 3/16 thick Busse blade is un-breakable, so the only advantage of a thicker blade would be extra weight. Being I prefer a lighter blade. I would take the thinner blade any day.

The Ratweiler LE is an awesome knife. Can't remember what its thickness is tho, but I remember it being a bit thinner than 3/16ths, I could be wrong.

188bd2eb643d7f087452d7335b686329b4a159cf.jpg

b17c077bfdcf74e168ce06179ab2e43c3794f3d3.jpg

0a49a4b264aee65ef223454dfd542a6c2ed8566b.jpg

3/16” is thick enough for almost any knife. I don’t see the need for 1/4”+ Infi or sr101 blade. The Jackhammer 10, TGULB, and other .20ish blades are plenty thick. I think lighter is better. I also believe a 3/16 thick Busse blade is un-breakable, so the only advantage of a thicker blade would be extra weight. Being I prefer a lighter blade. I would take the thinner blade any day.
I agree wholeheartedly

Missed the Ratweiler, but all the 3/16ths SR101 is a big part of what made Operation 2 Weeks so incredible imo. Got so many fantastic users during that ultra-marathon of releases. JMD, Boom Parang, BG AMS & SOS, also scored a 1311 off the exchange around the same time. Picked up several others in the .2”-.23” range as well iirc (BG HR, BME2, INFI BB13).

Love me some thicker stock too of course, have several at 1/4” and a fatty BG FSH, but 3/16” is all I really “need.”

Just a bit over one year since my last post on the thinned Ratweiler. While I have added a bunch of other blades to the collection, I keep coming back to the Ratweiler in 3/16 (give or take) and it seems to cover all of the bases. It is certainly robust enough to chop and even baton hardwoods in a pinch and seems easier to use than my 1/4 inch variant. The Mega variety is just a beast and feels too heavy for much of the practical work in the field. For me, the 3/16th variety hits the sweet spot.

What I like about the thinner version is the handle, although a few of my buddies don't agree with me on this. To me the fit and form just feels superb and I can get various types of grips with either hand. That being said, hands are different so I suggest you heft the various thicknesses before laying down your greenbacks.

At the end of the day, the anorexic version always seems to find a way to climb into the truck before the next camping trip!

The 'anorexic' version is more of a knife than anyone would ever need!
Unless you want to collapse bridges, you never going to need the Mega!
Honestly I wish there was a 1/8 version!

The RW is also my favorite large knife. I eventually upgraded to the infiweiler, which is also the thinner stock. It has pushed many other blades down the road as I haven't been able to find something that works with my hand so well and performs the heavier tasks as nicely while being easy to carry. It perfectly fits into my small camelbak for trail maintenance, or just to have it along.

The only thing I found the RW bad at was food prep, and that shouldn't surprise anyone.

The handle didn’t work for me on the infiweiler so i sold it.
The mega ratweiler handle is more comfortable for some reason!

The handle didn’t work for me on the infiweiler so i sold it.
The mega ratweiler handle is more comfortable for some reason!

Interesting. Probably a little wider giving the thicker stock? I keep my eye out for a user fatweiler as I'm interested to test one, but I'm pretty smitten with the infiweiler still so didn't want to drop the coin when they were still offered.

Interesting. Probably a little wider giving the thicker stock? I keep my eye out for a user fatweiler as I'm interested to test one, but I'm pretty smitten with the infiweiler still so didn't want to drop the coin when they were still offered.
I’m guessing that must be the main reason.
The mega is super comfy and the metal is rounded on the tang which adds to the comfort.
I think the handle shape/proportions may be slightly different as well, but can’t remember for sure now. i should have taken a side by side picture when i still had the infiweiler.
Infi is amazing and i loved the blade but the handle always bothered me. It’s probably just a personal thing.

I’m guessing that must be the main reason.
The mega is super comfy and the metal is rounded on the tang which adds to the comfort.
I think the handle shape/proportions may be slightly different as well, but can’t remember for sure now. i should have taken a side by side picture when i still had the infiweiler.
Infi is amazing and i loved the blade but the handle always bothered me. It’s probably just a personal thing.

I forgot about the newer spine radiusing that Busse is doing. I had that with the TGULB and it was super. That would make a difference, IMO. The TGULB might be my 2nd fave Busse or kin, but I'm down to only the infiweiler and a mega warden right now and not feeling short on steel. Very competant knives.

After this thread popped up, I reworked my infiweiler for a thinner edge since it spends most of it's like a short machete. Still debating stripping the coating.

Back