Low ride clips. Not for me.

I too doubt that I will ever need lightning fast deployment from the pocket. But I still want that deployment, even with a deep clip, just in case. Consider the BF member who saved his son from a mountain lion attack in the last couple of years with a Caly 3.5. Link. I'm not expecting to use my knife in that manner, but I want to know that I could if I had to.

But personally, concealing my knife isn't exactly a priority, if it was I'd probably carry IWB. Contrary to the whole deep carry movement, my personal favorite as far as "pocket feel" is the Millie.

^^^ This for me too! The millie rides high but you can speed draw it quite easily that way. Just reach down and pinch the spydie-hole between the thumb and index finger tips and draw up out of pocket and snap your wrist down and boom she's open.

As fast a waved folder IMO if executed properly.

I do not suffer from action man syndrome either.
Hmmmm no offence, but now that you mention it, you actually did paint yourself as the mr Active Outdoorsy Lifestyle roughing it whilst juggling sacks of fertilizer. You claimed that you "slide off trucks" & that you "are very active, work on my farm, run, hunt, fish, you name it."

The only time I've come close to losing a knife in 37 years (didn't really have clips on knives back then though) was when I was sliding down off a truck, and the clip caught an edge of the vehicle and pulled the knife from my pocket. It wouldn't matter if it was a deep clip or not, it would still do that. I carry high ride clips, never an issue losing the knife, and I'm very active, and work on my farm, hunt, run, fish, you name it. I could never get to a low ride clipped knife wearing work gloves either (although that's where fixed blades come in, working knives).

Only in a later post does it transpire, that your day job is in a lab. Again no offence, but being a 'lab rat' (for lack of better words) is a pretty far cry from the picture of the active lifestyle, you painted in a prior post.

I dont know you from Adam, but hadnt you mentioned, that you were a 'lab rat' (for lack of better words), I'd have pegged you as the Marlboro Man judging from the earlier post describing the tough work hauling and opening sacks of fertilizer, sliding off trucks, hunting, fishing, running. I do how ever understand painting the earlier pic in regards to knives is more desirable.

I also understand, that there is some fertilizer involved:D (just kidding! It was too easy - it was right there! You give me so much to work with!)

I do not suffer from action man syndrome either. I'm just pointing out that, for me, having a knife deep in the pocket is like not having a knife at all (almost). If you work with gloves a lot, it's nearly impossible to get a low-ride knife out of a pocket. Taking gloves off and on again 50 times an hour means it will take you twice as long to do what you're doing. These are my needs. If I need to put down a sack of fertilizer, take both hands to get my gloves off to fish out the knife and cut open the sack, then put the gloves back on and work with the fertilizer and then go get 27 more sacks of fertilizer, it'll take forever. Just my needs, I need a one-hand knife I can get to. Same if you're on a ladder, or in a crawl space, etc. Just me, you know, working. If I'm at my day job (medical lab), or shopping or whatever, then a deep carry clip is fine, although at work in a hospital, ANY clip, deep carry or not, will draw scrutiny.

On a more serious note and more relevant in regards to knives, it sounds to me like you are using the wrong tool in the farm part.

A sturdy fixed knife might work better for you in the circumstances you describe (frequent handling of fertilizer sacks whilst wearing gloves) than a folder. You even mention that possibility yourself.

We are back to the seven Ps again - Proper prior planning prevents pxxs poor performance.

I draw my knives by pinching the end of the knife between thumb and fingerprint. If I do this with a deep carry clip it just makes the clip grab the pants material more. I can use my thumb inside the pocket and my fingertip on the end of the clip but this isn't very positive. With a standard clip I can grab the end of the knife that is sticking out, even better if there are screw heads there to give more grip for my fingers.

I have 3 knives with deep carry clips and I carry them, but I prefer standard clips.

I do not have a single knife with a low rider clip. Never will. My two Kershaw JYD's still have the big junk yard dog ugly factory clips. I like em!

I'm on the deep carry wagon myself. I think they're great for keeping the knife secure.

That being said, if I were going into a situation where I thought some quicker drawing would be required, I might carry a fixed blade instead. MT17 to the rescue!

I don't see this "trend" at all. Most production knives have regular clips.

Hmmmm no offence, but now that you mention it, you actually did paint yourself as the mr Active Outdoorsy Lifestyle roughing it whilst juggling sacks of fertilizer. You claimed that you "slide off trucks" & that you "are very active, work on my farm, run, hunt, fish, you name it."

Only in a later post does it transpire, that your day job is in a lab. Again no offence, but being a 'lab rat' (for lack of better words) is a pretty far cry from the picture of the active lifestyle, you painted in a prior post.

I dont know you from Adam, but hadnt you mentioned, that you were a 'lab rat' (for lack of better words), I'd have pegged you as the Marlboro Man judging from the earlier post describing the tough work hauling and opening sacks of fertilizer, sliding off trucks, hunting, fishing, running. I do how ever understand painting the earlier pic in regards to knives is more desirable.

I also understand, that there is some fertilizer involved:D (just kidding! It was too easy - it was right there! You give me so much to work with!)

On a more serious note and more relevant in regards to knives, it sounds to me like you are using the wrong tool in the farm part.

A sturdy fixed knife might work better for you in the circumstances you describe (frequent handling of fertilizer sacks whilst wearing gloves) than a folder. You even mention that possibility yourself.

We are back to the seven Ps again - Proper prior planning prevents pxxs poor performance.

Yeah, my day job is as a medical technologist, then I come home to the farm. I own, and live on a farm, and do all the work myself (with the wife too). I go to my day job to relax, lol. It's a busy life. I use Moras around the farm the most. But often times, I gotta run outside to do something, and just have a folder in my jeans pocket. Then, get distracted, get to work on something else, and all I have is my folder. I have gotten a few more Moras, and have them stashed around to ameliorate this. As cheap as they are, I should hang one from every fencepost.

Back