@@ LR ammo point of impact ?

I've been shooting a Nylon 66 with different ammos at 25 yards .CCI Mini Mags have the best grouping but actually shoot to the right an inch or two more than all the others . My question . When a bullet veers off like that is it in an arc shape ? Is it like throwing a curve ball ?

Last edited:
My guess is that you have a slight irregularity at the muzzle that deflects the bullet. If so, it would be moving in a straight line, not an arc (except for the arc toward the ground that all bullets take). I'm not sure why the mini mags do this more than other ammo, that is a headscratcher. Perhaps it is due to variations in the powder burn between the different loads.

Has the muzzle been damaged somehow? Re-crowning would fix it.

If it's just with the CCI, I would think there's nothing wrong with your barrel (or it wouldn't group at all), just the way that particular ammo shoots out of your gun. That's why you should pick several manufacturers and see which works best for YOUR gun!

That is pretty odd with the CCI Mini Mags (HV). Shooting high wouldn't surprise me. At 25 yds, just about everything shoots pretty well from a rifle. You should be able to easily pull off "one hole" groups at that range.

I like Mini Mags, if it were me, I'd buy another box (different lot) and see if the same problem persists. Generally shoot pretty well (consistently) and are pretty clean burning.

At 25 yds, just about everything shoots pretty well from a rifle. You should be able to easily pull off "one hole" groups at that range.
None of my rifles shoot that well . I have been shooting a lot and have found that Blazers and the CCI's shoot best through all my guns .

I enjoy shooting at 25 yds with a 22 rifle. The problem is it gets a bit unchalleging after a while at that distance. Shooting Necco wafers and animal crackers at that range is still fun as well as general plinking. 50 yds is the usual distance I shoot 22 rifles and at that distance you see the accuracy/precision differences better between rifles and ammo. At 25 yds, I can see the holes without a lot of effort, the walk to the target to change things out is quick, and a sight in at this distance is good longer distances trajectory-wise. I was never much for high magnification over 9x with 22 rifles, but I have a Mueller APV 4.5-14x AO on my CZ 452.

I can't do the "one hole" thing with open sights at 25 yds as a rule with any consistency. I have kept a Mauser 34A (military trainer), and CZ 452 Trainer with open sights for the iron sight challenge. Bought that CZ specifically for the factory irons as they are just about the best factory irons available on a regular production rifle. My preferred rimfire scopes are the Weaver 2.5-7x and 3-9x AO rimfire scope. Years ago, I would only mount 4x scopes on 22 rifles. I believed if you couldn't see the target well enough with the 4x magnification, you probably shouldn't be taking the shot. I've changed in that regard. But it's mostly a target shooting/plinking thing for me versus hunting with 22 rifles any more.

I've never owned a Nylon 66 or any of the Remington Nylon's. Always wanted the lever action 76 Model, but not enough to pay the asking prices these days for them. I never asked, but are you shooting the Nylon 66 with open sights?

I enjoy shooting at 25 yds with a 22 rifle. The problem is it gets a bit unchalleging after a while at that distance. Shooting Necco wafers and animal crackers at that range is still fun as well as general plinking. 50 yds is the usual distance I shoot 22 rifles and at that distance you see the accuracy/precision differences better between rifles and ammo. At 25 yds, I can see the holes without a lot of effort, the walk to the target to change things out is quick, and a sight in at this distance is good longer distances trajectory-wise. I was never much for high magnification over 9x with 22 rifles, but I have a Mueller APV 4.5-14x AO on my CZ 452.

I can't do the "one hole" thing with open sights at 25 yds as a rule with any consistency. I have kept a Mauser 34A (military trainer), and CZ 452 Trainer with open sights for the iron sight challenge. Bought that CZ specifically for the factory irons as they are just about the best factory irons available on a regular production rifle. My preferred rimfire scopes are the Weaver 2.5-7x and 3-9x AO rimfire scope. Years ago, I would only mount 4x scopes on 22 rifles. I believed if you couldn't see the target well enough with the 4x magnification, you probably shouldn't be taking the shot. I've changed in that regard. But it's mostly a target shooting/plinking thing for me versus hunting with 22 rifles any more.

I've never owned a Nylon 66 or any of the Remington Nylon's. Always wanted the lever action 76 Model, but not enough to pay the asking prices these days for them. I never asked, but are you shooting the Nylon 66 with open sights?
Yes and since my first post I have it sighted in with the Blazers . I also have been shooting a Remington Field Master 572 pump and a Marlin 99M1 carbine both scoped . The best groups I can get at 25 yards is with the Marlin . I can get 10 shot quarter size groups with both Mini mags and Blazers .

Dane, are you doing everything EXACTLY the same every time? I shoot traditional archery and love my springer air rifle, but if I hang on too tight with either my consistency goes out the window. Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, trying the military hold might bring things in tighter. Maybe you've done all that; just a thought.

Kent

Rimfires are really fickle as to what they will shoot accurately. I've had good results with the WW Subsonic HP's and WW Power Points.

Back