LUDT durability

I recently bought a Microtech LUDT. I really like it but I'm a little worried about how much i can throw at it. Anyone out there with experience putting this knife through "hard use." Also if I do damage it would MT's warranty cover the repair?

Microtechs warranty department has gotten better over the years.

The best way to ensure you're going to have an easy transaction is to actually call them, it may take a few tries to get through bit you eventually will, and set up a repair with one of the receptionists. They will walk you through everything.

I have a recent dealing with them and it went great. Sent me s free patch too.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a LUDT. Should be a stout knife. Just dont abuse it and you should be ace.

Out-the-side button lock knives are generally pretty sturdy. Nearly anything you would use a typical folding knife for shouldn’t be an issue.

As long as “hard use” falls short of repeatedly striking the spine or using the knife as a surrogate for a camp axe / prybar, I don’t see reason for hesitancy.

I wouldn't worry about it. They make good stuff, and their warranty is just fine now (about on par with Benchmade and KAI, from my experience).

I've got one in my EDC rotation, and it's held up just fine to normal knife use. I've cut some thick rubber mats and stuff like that without problems. I haven't done anything outlandish with it.

I wouldn't worry about it. They make good stuff, and their warranty is just fine now (about on par with Benchmade and KAI, from my experience).

It won't take a beating like an AFO II . Pretty nice though. ;)

Kidding aside I want to try one. I tested a few micro models out at nyccs and I was impressed.

Last edited:
It will handle tough stuff just fine. My oldest one is from the Vero Beach days and it’s still kicking.

I've used one as a throwing knife with no issues.

Great knife. Had an '04 (UMS in $30V), '06 (420HC steel), and '10 (14C28N steel) version. My '10 had a broken spring after 1 1/2 yrs. of EDC.

I do not understand why anyone would even consider using this Microtech knife for fire wood splitting or cutting up cardboard box’s.
This knife like all of Microtechs OTF and side openings knives, are designed for use in kill or be killed situations.

I do not understand why anyone would even consider using this Microtech knife for fire wood splitting or cutting up cardboard box’s.
This knife like all of Microtechs OTF and side openings knives, are designed for use in kill or be killed situations.

Only the ones that say "tactical" on the box.

Back