Lumberjack restaraunts ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Does anyone else get the urge to steal the giant axe from the guy outside the lumberjack restaraunts every time they see one? Cause I do 😁
I was parked next to one today and their lumberjack guy carries a really nice looking Michigan pattern double bit,( the only other one I've seen had a very cartoonish looking axe ) and when I saw it I thought it would be the coolest thing to have in my yard. I immediately started to think up a plan for my imaginary heist, and wondering how easy it'd actually be for someone to steal it without getting caught.
I'm sure glad I'm not a kleptomaniac, or I'd probably be in jail right now for having stolen it 😁😁

Every human has a brief moment when they consider taking something that does not belong to them. Mine came in 1976. I was working on a period log homestead reconstruction project for the Bicentennial Commision. I had reason to be in Washington DC. One should never be in DC and not visit the Smithsonian Institution. I went in the Arts and Industries building. They had a display from the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, Pa. Collins Axe Co had some big oak display cases full of one of everything they made, all new and polished up. This display will make an axemans heart stop. I had nightmares about being arrested for stealing this exhibit. This was the one and only time in my life I ever even considered taking something that was not mine.
I wish I knew what happened to that exhibit. I hope it is not in a Smithsonian warehouse somewhere it can not be seen. It is the best original collection of axes I have ever seen.

Every human has a brief moment when they consider taking something that does not belong to them. Mine came in 1976. I was working on a period log homestead reconstruction project for the Bicentennial Commision. I had reason to be in Washington DC. One should never be in DC and not visit the Smithsonian Institution. I went in the Arts and Industries building. They had a display from the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, Pa. Collins Axe Co had some big oak display cases full of one of everything they made, all new and polished up. This display will make an axemans heart stop. I had nightmares about being arrested for stealing this exhibit. This was the one and only time in my life I ever even considered taking something that was not mine.
I wish I knew what happened to that exhibit. I hope it is not in a Smithsonian warehouse somewhere it can not be seen. It is the best original collection of axes I have ever seen.

This might be part of that display:

whatisit-4.jpg

In 2005, Lee Valley had the opportunity to add the magnificent Collins & Company display case shown below to its permanent collection. It is thought that it was originally constructed for the 1876 United States Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was subsequently used in other trade shows. It remained in the possession of Collins & Co. and was displayed at its head office until the company's closing. It is filled with a representative range of the manufacturer's tools. This unique advertising cabinet is on display at Lee Valley's downtown Toronto, Ontario, store.

D.S. Orr

from http://www.leevalley.com/US/newsletters/Woodworking/3/3/whatisit2.htm

Some 45 years ago a rowdy and popular tavern in Hull, Quebec by name of the "Raftsmen" repurposed old axes as door handles at their barn board clad and interior decor dimly lit establishment. The main doors featured broad axes (I'm going by memory, but for sure they were axes) and me being from liquor-under-age Ontario (21 years vs 18) never did linger to inspect their origins nor question why Molson Export, Canadian, Golden, Labatt 50 and Blue was served in glorious Quart bottles in Quebec vs the ordinary Pint bottles you got everywhere else.

Steve, that looks like one of the cabinets as I remember. But there are more than that, I remember a huge fan shaped display of axe heads in a cabinet. I must have taken pictures if they let me. If I did, I have moved too many times to be able to find them. Somebody, somewhere must have pictures of the entire display.

Steve, that looks like one of the cabinets as I remember. But there are more than that, I remember a huge fan shaped display of axe heads in a cabinet. I must have taken pictures if they let me. If I did, I have moved too many times to be able to find them. Somebody, somewhere must have pictures of the entire display.

Here's a photo of the Collins exhibit, from the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, 1876:

c020842.jpg

from https://libwww.freelibrary.org/CenCol/Details.cfm?ItemNo=c020842

Thanks Steve, I knew you would find photos. The display in that photo is the exact display that I saw in 1976. I would bet that the smaller display that Lee Valley (my favorite new hand tool supply company) now has was something that Collins had made in 1876 to put in their show room while their big display was at the 1876 exposition. That would mean that the Smithonian still has the big display. The Smithonian keeps everything I think. THIS DISPLAY NEEDS TO BE WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN AGAIN ! I was just thinking, maybe this discussion needs its own thread with the pictures that you have found ?

New to forums and especially to this one but very excited to see everything about Collins. I would call myself a bit of a Collins addict. Way to many items. I happen to know a great deal about the 1876 Bicentennial Exhibition and it’s whereabouts. Lol. Don’t worry it’s safe because it’s in my care. I lived my entire life in the area and my addiction started with my great grandfather working for Collins in 1920. My grandfather followed up n his footsteps before joining the Marines in WWII. I started off interested in John Browns Pikes and it got out of hand from there. Would love to hear what items everyone is looking for or if someone has or thinks they have an item from the 1876 Bicentennial display. There are many people claiming they have items but unfortunately there are many myths and fakes. I have the list of the items from the Smithsonian and many catalogs, price lists and one of a kind items.

New to forums and especially to this one but very excited to see everything about Collins. I would call myself a bit of a Collins addict. Way to many items. I happen to know a great deal about the 1876 Bicentennial Exhibition and it’s whereabouts. Lol. Don’t worry it’s safe because it’s in my care. I lived my entire life in the area and my addiction started with my great grandfather working for Collins in 1920. My grandfather followed up n his footsteps before joining the Marines in WWII. I started off interested in John Browns Pikes and it got out of hand from there. Would love to hear what items everyone is looking for or if someone has or thinks they have an item from the 1876 Bicentennial display. There are many people claiming they have items but unfortunately there are many myths and fakes. I have the list of the items from the Smithsonian and many catalogs, price lists and one of a kind items.
Thanks for posting. O Old Axeman would probably be interested, too. He suggested that I start a separate thread about that Collins display at the 1876 Exhibition, and it has some additional information:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...876-centennial-and-1976-bicentennial.1385584/

Back