Lunar Landing Question

I’ve been eyeing a large Thuya Burl/Raindrop Damascus Sebenza 21 with lust in my heart for a while. The Lunar Landing CGG now also has my eye. The price difference isn’t a deal breaker for me, but I can’t afford both. In the opinion of the serious CRK collectors here, which would you guess will fare better with value retention (or maybe even appreciation?) and ease of resale as the years roll on? If I buy either, it’ll be a “never going to be used” safe queen and will likely be resold by one of my kids after my ashes have been scattered somewhere--hopefully years down the road from now.

At first thought, I would think the Lunar Landing would hold it's value better. It's hard to say until we see how fast they sell through and how crazy collectors will get to get one on secondary market. It might be a slow seller but I doubt it. CRK might make a ton of them? Who knows?

One thing I can say, there will always be various wood inlay damascus blades available and Thuya isn't rare. But, there will only be one unique Lunar Landing model. If I were a betting man, I'd go Lunar Landing if investment is your goal. That being said, I really suck at gambling.

Once discontinued the lunar landing might be the best investment. If there is a good demand for it and a short supply it will go up. If it is not well received , not so much.
On 1st glance it looks like it could be a winner

Investment grade, or not, The Lunar Landing CGG is one knife that I'd absolutely love to own...

Now, someone give me money.

Regards,
Adam

Last edited:
Lunar Landing, hands down. They're only going to make it for one year, and so far it's taking the facebook group by storm.

Even if we didn't land on the moon, the choice is clear. ;)

I've been fascinated with space travel since I could walk!

Last edited:
Lunar Landing CGG easily. Especially since they are now only made for 1 year. Old CGG hold their value as I recently sold one for $4k. Many others also go for several $k as well. At a time your talking about, the 21 will be long gone. There are tons of collectors that collect Patriotic CRK and this definitely falls in that category.

Lunar Landing.
Limited one year production, nice cabochon and patriotic.
A very nice knife - I could never bring myself to use one.

Thanks to all for the consensus. I’ll probably grab two of the LL’s during this year so each of my kids ends up with one--along with specific “do not resell until at least 2029” instructions in the box.

Just bought one. What a cool knife!
This is the 1st I heard of it. Thanks for heads up!

IMO-It is one of the best graphic designs they have done in years and would look great in anyone's collection. Even though I certainly can see it appreciating in years to come, I am not sold on it or most knives being a good way to invest. There are of course worse ways to invest also, and you do get to enjoy them in the mean time.

... Even though I certainly can see it appreciating in years to come, I am not sold on it or most knives being a good way to invest. There are of course worse ways to invest also, and you do get to enjoy them in the mean time.
I understand and agree with what you’re saying about (IMO probably close to all) knives not being a sound investment vehicle. I learned that lesson with fine shotguns years ago (and I'm lucky I was able to get out from under at close to even) and I see that lesson being regularly repeated in the B/S/T Exchange forums here. That being said, it’d still be really hard to see this one doing too much worse than the precious metal bullion/coins I’ve put a little $$ into over the years. Under any circumstance, these two pieces will be more of a pair of minor remembrances of crazy old grandpa (which will hopefully be able--if wanted--to be resold for a price that’ll be appropriate as opposed to something at a garage sale price level). Only time will tell but frustratingly, I’ll never know.

This graphic will be available all year. Which means there is not a limit to how many they will make. Future value will depend completely on final numbers for the year. If this becomes a graphic that is difficult to track down after it is discontinued the price will only go up... but if they make so many of them that it is very easy to find and purchase then the potential value gained is going to be way less.

I'll will also be interesting to see how the reduction of options impacts the equation. Historically there have been around 6 CGG's running simultaneously this will be reduced to 3. Will production of the 3 be increased to the approximate numbers of the 6?

Thinking of knives as investments will I expect lead to disappointment. Some older production CRK's are fetching 4-5 K at the moment. Not sure that's sustainable, good luck with picking ones to hit that hot streak in 20 years time
My recommendation would be buy the one you like best. At least you'll have something cool to look at..... I put my money where my mouth is and ordered a lunar day 1 :)

JMHO, but I think the Apollo 11 Sebenza will follow the same path as the hollow handle CRK A2 knives in terms of value.

When the Project 1 was still being made, I got one and paid $300 for it NIB. For years, I told myself "I gotta get a Shadow IV." I told myself that until they went out of production. I finally got a NIB Shadow IV but paid $500 for it and was glad to get it. Now that knife costs $700. From what I have seen, both the Project 1and the Shadow IV seem to go up in price about $100 with each passing year.

The thing is these two knives were made for years on end.

Now: Fast forward to the CRK Apollo 11 Sebenza. It will be made for one year only.
I think those who buy them will keep them, except for guys who can by ten of them, salt them away and auction them off for hideous prices 5-10 years down the road.

As others have observed, the Apollo 11 Sebenza is one of the best (if not the best) graphic designs CRK has ever made. I think aleforme is on target with his assessment of the situation - "...there will always be various wood inlay damascus blades available and Thuya isn't rare. But, there will only be one unique Lunar Landing model..."

All the taken into consideration, I'm going to find a way or make a way to get one of the Apollo 11 Sebenzas, at least one and maybe two or three.

Go thou and do likewise, my brethren. Just don't let the wife find out. :D

I'll play devils advocate.... How long was Thuya offered? Now that Chad Nichols has stopped making Damascus what happens to demand? Now how about a Basketweave Lunar? Possible?

I'll play devils advocate.... How long was Thuya offered? Now that Chad Nichols has stopped making Damascus what happens to demand? Now how about a Basketweave Lunar? Possible?

When I requested a Damascus version I was told that it would be an additional 300, would ship with the Damascus installed and the original in the box. 9-12 month wait. Card would not reflect the Damascus blade but invoice would

It's Devin Thomas who retired, Chad Nichols is still making damascus.

See if these will help...
iDS89Tl.jpg

lEZa5r1.jpg

TUb0trh.jpg

JiKxGHP.jpg

Jt5ecmj.jpg

V2rR0vO.jpg

Back