Lycosa first impressions.

-------Posted this in the review section if anyone is interested.----------

This is more of a first impressions than a full blown review. I've had this knife for a while now but have not had the chance to get some outdoor time with it.

The knife is Jarrett Flemming's Lycosa model.

Right off the bat I could tell I was going to like this knife. The fit and finish were perfect. The size and weight in the hand were spot on. The only gripe I had was the G-mascus was polished. I think that's a common trend with the group of knife makers in the north GA area. Also my bad for not telling him to leave it rough sanded for grip. Easy fix with some 220 sandpaper.

Rough specs: 3.75in. blade, 4.75in handle, 1/8in thick, steel is CPM D-2??? Honestly not sure but it still looks brand spanking new after this little outing. Not really used to that as I mostly dabble in high carbon steels that pick up some form of patina with use. Hollow ground. Handle is moonglow topped with purple / black g-mascus.

First some glamour shots. Not sure if I do this subconsciously but I always seem to take pics of knives with the makers mark showing so I don't have any of the other side of the knife. Oh well. You'll get the idea.

IMG_2635_zpsvdr53ich.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2648_zpsmt1eudnm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2661_zpsc7g6mxjq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thought this moss looked like the moonglow. Kind of cool.

IMG_2652_zps4u7tb8xb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On the way I used it to dig up some wild onion. The bigger one was super strong; almost like eating garlic.

IMG_2643_zpsnzzeeicx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With all the frogs I heard I figured why not make a frog spear out of the bamboo that was growing. Easily cut through .5in thick bamboo with an off hand chop. Pretty impressive for a smaller knife.
PSA kids!!! Bamboo is fricken sharp when cut. It gently reminded my finger of this fact.

IMG_2672_zpsphjm7ipy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This stuff was oozing out of a water vine????

IMG_2650_zpsjd4phgzr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Easily shaved some fatwood.

IMG_2657_zpsssgbhbay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lunch was some noodles and bag-o-salmon. I didn't bring anything to eat with so carved some chopsticks out of wood. Jarret said this thing cuts like a laser but damn! I'm not really into fuzz sticks but figured I would just see how thin I could get some curls. Some of those were damn near see through they were so thin. Very cool. I also owe an apology to whatever boy scout group built that bridge. When I went to cross baton the stick, from just the weight of the baton, it went right through and stuck into the wood of the bridge. Sorry boy scouts.

IMG_2662_zpscg4iuul9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2663_zpsnex35g5x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2664_zpsdg2ljkgv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2666_zpssrfj90rz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Overall first impressions are that I am completely happy with this knife and with the overall customer service. Jarrett seemed like a really nice down to earth guy and was very accommodating to my need to make everything glow. I can't really call this a full review because this is my first real outing with it but I also can't think of any reason why I would come to not like this knife. Great job and I will certainly keep an eye on your work in the future.

P.S. Not sure if you will see this Jarrett but my dad ended up buying the red handle one after all. Funny.

Edit: I guess it's pretty silly to say I posted this elsewhere then copy/paste the whole thread. Not one of my brighter moments.

Great review. I was curious about this knife, and you did an awesome job showing a fun time in the field. Thanks.

Excellent write up.

I'm a big fan of super thick liners, that moonglow & purple just POP!

I don't know how I missed this but thank you for taking the time to write this up Tankerwolf! It is an incredible feeling seeing pics of my knives in use.
I hope that your dad is enjoying his as well!

Back