M-18 throwback

Murphnuge

I wanted to make my 5000th post worth it, so here's a whole thread to commemorate the event.

You've probably heard Todd(Tim) talk about the burr in his saddle I had him make that spurred the creation of the M-18? Well, it was basically a version of the Tom Brown Tracker with Becker handles, that we dubbed "The Grunt". What can I say? I had just watched "The Hunted" and became enthralled with the one knife idea. I did a little research and came up with basic dimensions and asked Todd to make up a 3/4" version. After playing with it a little I decided it wasn't as useful as my trusty Becker BK9. Anyway, fast forward a couple or three years and we have the M-18. I won't part with the Grunt due to nostalgia and it's part in the history of the M-18, but it doesn't get used much. I'm sure it's a capable blade and of course it's got the T.M. Hunt quality. It just doesn't fit my philosophy anymore. So here's a few pix that I posted in another forum to illustrate the differences in the two unique blades.

DSCN1073_zps80b2f016.jpg

DSCN1072_zpsb30ad4b8.jpg

DSCN1074_zps2f1dabf1.jpg

DSCN1076_zps48a2df9d.jpg

I'll be damned..hehe. there's a blast from the past. I hate that knife. Always hated that knife. I love the idea behind the WSK but never thought it was big enough to perform its tasks very well. After making the grunt for Murph I was certain of this. However, I do owe that knife some graditude. After stewing over it for a few years Murph came to me wanting a multipurpose chopper. I saw it as a chance to right all of the wrongs so to speak and what brithed from that is the mighty M-18, and I don't mean to sound cocky, but that's the bees knees!

Happy 5000th post Murph!

I'll be damned..hehe. there's a blast from the past. I hate that knife.

hahaha, that's awesome.
My knife-mentor made a tracker-inspired blade for a guy too - he also hated it (though it turned out pretty bada$$). Of course now all that guy's buddies want one....

Congrats on 5k, Murph!

-Daizee

Back