M-18 Used for Deer Processing

The title says it all. I took video. I did not show the gutting but I showed everything else - skinning, jointing, quartering etc. I'm debating whether to post it. Even leaving out the gutting it is still extremely graphic. Maybe if I put a warning or something...

Make it a private video and only post the link. I think that is the best compromise.

There are other deer processing videos on youtube. I'll have to put it together and see if I can make it reasonable. It is pretty brutal though.

Just put it together, post a good warning of the graphic content, and go on with it. Would be of interest to some in the W&SS section I'm sure. As long as it is labeled graphic then anyone giving you s#!t about it only came in the thread to do so anyway. Not sure how everyone else looks at it...but neither using a smaller knife nor execution in a CFO makes separating the parts of an animal any less graphic in my opinion. I would probably lead in with some still shots of the knife before the video, along with some text on the graphic nature of things to come with a note that those who are squeamish may not want to look, and a request that those who aren't into the subject of hunting or are vegetarian/vegan pass over the thread and read something else...unless they were just there to troll, in which case they could exercise their right to free speech, and you could exercise your right to completely ignore them :)

If your wondering if I mind it being on my subforum the answer is NO! I welcome it. Just post a warning and if people are sqimish they don't have to click on it. As far as you tube I've seen everything else cleaned on there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it did. I haven't had a chance to try it in that aspect. My hunting seasons as of late have been unsucessfull to say the least.:grumpy:

Looks like we're all in agreement. Make the vid viewable by invite only, then post it here! It's a tiny little subforum in a corner of the internet..we won't tell.

I just watched 5 videos of guys breaking down pigs can't see this being much different. I would say go for it

OK. Everyone viewing this thread has had ample warning. There is 15 seconds of warning at the beginning of the video, and the thumbnail is a warning. I think I have done what I can do to warn people.
[video=youtube;8Md2auCKQ4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Md2auCKQ4k[/video]

Verdict: The M-18 is handier than an axe for the jointing/quartering process. Axes that are small enough to be useable one handed have a blade height (right term?) that is too narrow for the average Iowa guy to hit the target super-reliably. The M-18 is also extremely useful for skinning if you choke up.

For the gutting process, I did not use the M-18. I made my buddy do it because he had not gutted a deer in about 15 years and I wanted him to learn. I helped him when he got stuck, but the knife he chose to use for the process was a Bark River Gamekeeper. I'm fairly certain that I could accomplish the gutting process with an M-18, although I generally prefer a smaller knife for that process. If you wanted to make the 'Ideal' game chopper, the M-18 would be a great platform to modify.

OK. Everyone viewing this thread has had ample warning. There is 15 seconds of warning at the beginning of the video, and the thumbnail is a warning. I think I have done what I can do to warn people.
[video=youtube;8Md2auCKQ4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Md2auCKQ4k[/video]

Verdict: The M-18 is handier than an axe for the jointing/quartering process. Axes that are small enough to be useable one handed have a blade height (right term?) that is too narrow for the average Iowa guy to hit the target super-reliably. The M-18 is also extremely useful for skinning if you choke up.

Translation: Warning, I didn't bring enough chips for everybody.

I am offended!

Mostly because you got a deer and not me.:D

Great video, sir.
It just goes to show what can be done with some skill and a great tool.

Thanks for sharing.

Brilliant video AIG! Truly highlights the versatility of the M-18. Thanks for posting.

That is fantastic AIG. Until now deer processing with a M-18 was just a theory. Even though that's not its primary function I wanted it to be capable of field dressing. Thanks for the video. Enjoy the meat! Id be more than happy to help you eat it if we lived closer. ;)

You could totally do the whole deer with an M-18 including gutting if you had to. It was easy mode for skinning and quartering with the M-18. Like I said above, the M-18 is actually handier for me than a hatchet for the process because I have a longer contact surface to aim with.

Here is video of the actual hunt if you're interested. M-18 used to make feather sticks in this one.

[video=youtube;kQ9op86SDms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ9op86SDms[/video]

Finally had a few quiet moments to watch the video. Cool stuff man, that M-18 looks like it handled it well and shows it's truly versatile.

That said, damn you guys quit making me want one of these! It big and heavy and I'm getting old. I know I don't need one, and would never use it the way it is obviously designed to be used. But you guys still keep making me want one! Cut it out already jeeez :p

Back