M-18 Used for Deer Processing

*LOL*

Hilarious!
I did the same job with a 3" knife. Maybe our deer are smaller. :D

Is there a spear season in Iowa? Can you drop out of a tree with an M-18 in hand and humanely slay the deer in a single stroke?

Nobody ever claimed the M-18 was the best tool to field dress a deer with. The claim was it was possible. AIG was just kind enough to put his usual tools aside for the day at our request to help prove our theory. Make fun of it all you want, but realize that it is capable of a wide range of tasks, the video proves that, and that's the point.

Nobody ever claimed the M-18 was the best tool to field dress a deer with. The claim was it was possible. AIG was just kind enough to put his usual tools aside for the day at our request to help prove our theory. Make fun of it all you want, but realize that it is capable of a wide range of tasks, the video proves that, and that's the point.

I'm gonna try field dressing a chipmunk with it. Probably not, better stick with something I can catch. Like a beer or herpes!

The jointing and quartering part is hard with just a 3 inch knife. Usually I have to use an axe or a saw for that. Dude must have some serious skill to go through the bones of the legs with a 3 inch knife. I'm sure it is possible, I would have difficulty. I liked the M-18 for the process because I was able to prepare the legs for chopping through bone and chop through bone with the same implement. I was then able to skin with the same implement. If I wanted to I could go out and chop down a small tree, section it and split it. Then I could make shavings and start a fire to roast a haunch of that deer on a spit. All with the same implement. There are, of course, other tools that can do those tasks, but I wanted to see if the M-18 could do it. Fun stuff!

I personally enjoy viewing, all of your (AIG) informational " U-Tube Videos ".
(I have some personal experience in " Butchering: Deer/ Pigs / Goats / Rabbits / Chickens / Fish )

It was an interesting " How To ", from a " AIG " done in " FUN " !

My hats off to you, for taking the time to document your efforts, & sharing what's possible :thumbup:

PERRO
p.s.: How many you ( AG ) guys have a framed " 3 1/2 ' x 2 1/2 ' " Butchers chart in their Kitchen :D
IMG_0458.jpg

Last edited:
I personally enjoy viewing, all of your (AIG) informational " U-Tube Videos ".
(I have some personal experience in " Butchering: Deer/ Pigs / Goats / Rabbits / Chickens / Fish )

It was an interesting " How To ", from a " AIG " done in " FUN " !

My hats off to you, for taking the time to document your efforts, & sharing what's possible :thumbup:

PERRO
p.s.: How many you ( AG ) guys have a framed " 3 1/2 ' x 2 1/2 ' " Butchers chart in their Kitchen :D
IMG_0458.jpg

Love that butcher's chart. I wonder if they have one for pigs? I'm fairly fond of pork.

I picked up my chart while driving around in my work vehicle. I decided to stop @ a well known upscale “ Butchers Shop “ in that area. http://www.harmonyfarmsonline.com

They had two Poster Charts hanging on the walls ( American / Canadian has more listed cuts ). I mentioned that I would love to get one, to hang in my Kitchen. The manager ? ( Female ) pulled a brand new rolled up one, out from under a counter, and gave it to me.
** I gave her a hug in return ** ;)

The Beef chart has writing at the bottom:
“ copyright; 2009 Cattlemans Beef Board & National Cattlemans Beef Association “

I’ve seen “ Pork “ charts at a few old school “ Bucthers Shop “ . You might check around in your area. I’m very fond of “ Pork “ myself & plan to add another chart, sometime in the near future.

There is a “ PORK “ Board & Association .. that might also be printing & passing out the charts, to those in the industry. Maybe check with the “ 4 - H Clubs “ ?
http://www.iowapork.org

PERRO
p.s. : The Poster was Free.. but the custom framing was a bit on the expensive side $$$ :eek:

Just found a few on " E-Bay ".
Ebay:http://compare.ebay.com/like/271147009600?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Last edited:
Back