M-43

IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG I've read a lot about M-43's and their weights and wanted to post these 3 I've got.
1st is made by Anil and weighs in at 32.65 oz
2nd is Kumar and weighs
27.05oz
And 3rd is also Kumar and weighs 27.40oz
I truly love the 2 lighter weights. Much faster moving!
Just wanted to share. Photos aren't too good.
They are all 18+"

Last edited:
I have two very different m-43's
Both 17 inches but one is horn handled and only 25oz by Lachhu and the other I think is 31-32oz made by Sher( so maybe heavier, it has been a while since I have brought it out) with an Antler handle.

The light one is easily a top 3 in my collection. It is a part of you when you hold it, a perfect extension of your arm. That being said I want one just as perfectly balanced but 19" overall.

I have two very different m-43's
Both 17 inches but one is horn handled and only 25oz by Lachhu and the other I think is 31-32oz made by Sher( so maybe heavier, it has been a while since I have brought it out) with an Antler handle.

The light one is easily a top 3 in my collection. It is a part of you when you hold it, a perfect extension of your arm. That being said I want one just as perfectly balanced but 19" overall.
pmwc78 I know the top one is 18 1/2". I forgot to measure the other 2. I've always wanted an antler handled Khukri! I think that would be the ultimate in natural tough materials!

I have two, one made by Sher or Kumar, I forget at the moment, 15" 29 ounces. Because of its weight it chops as good as my other 18"ers. My other one is made by Lok (I think), 18"'s and 32 ounces. I consider it as my finest HI knife out of them all. For me that is the perfect weight/length combo. I don't like to go heavier. That being said it will slip in my hand, I like the ring in the middle of the grip in almost all the other Himalayan imports. Makes my grip more stable. Absolutely love the blade shape on the M-43's. The best in the world.

I have two, one made by Sher or Kumar, I forget at the moment, 15" 29 ounces. Because of its weight it chops as good as my other 18"ers. My other one is made by Lok (I think), 18"'s and 32 ounces. I consider it as my finest HI knife out of them all. For me that is the perfect weight/length combo. I don't like to go heavier. That being said it will slip in my hand, I like the ring in the middle of the grip in almost all the other Himalayan imports. Makes my grip more stable. Absolutely love the blade shape on the M-43's. The best in the world.
conan11 I love my heavy one at the top. It's a 18 1/2" and 32 1/2oz. Chops great, when I swing it, it better land a blow! My other 2 however, can be swung as a weapon.....for me....as the other is more of a chopper.
I can use the other 2 for both. I'm not the worlds most muscular guy. Thanks for the feedback

How do these M43's compare to the Tamang? Just curious from you that have both. Seems like they have about the same drop, shape etc.?

I think the Tamang is quite a bit less drop in the blade. Much straighter.

Not too far off though. I got a guy wanting a couple knives, I'm kind of pondering where to lead him. The M43 is of course high on the list although by some coincidence I don't have one myself?????
The Tamang is a good choice I think for a first too.
He's an older fella but still camps and hunts some. So probably lean towards a medium weight chopper.

I think the Tamangs usually run several ounces lighter than an M43 of the same length.

That would probably make the Tamang better for hiking and camping, while the M43 would be more suitable for moderate to heavy chopping. Either one is pretty versatile in the 15" length.

I think the Tamang is quite a bit less drop in the blade. Much straighter.

Not too far off though. I got a guy wanting a couple knives, I'm kind of pondering where to lead him. The M43 is of course high on the list although by some coincidence I don't have one myself?????
The Tamang is a good choice I think for a first too.
He's an older fella but still camps and hunts some. So probably lean towards a medium weight chopper.
Bawanna I have to recommend a 15" BAS! I have one and it's great..handles awesome.
A 16" M43 would be tops if you could get one.
I really like the traditional non-chiruwa tangs..but I love the western handle without the ring.
A western-handle, traditional tang, AK 16" would be about my favorite, I think.
I don't have a regular AK, I'd love to mess with one.

I haven't messed with a tamang yet, though I would love to.. I suspect they fit more into the machete category, like a "Junglas" knife..

It's more of a slightly straighter KLVUK. Still plenty of chopping capability, much much heavier and thicker than a machete.

I recently bought a m43 (first kukri) here on the deal of the day. Anxiously awaiting it! After seeing that some people love the handle and a few others not so much due to slipping. My question for those of you that have experience with the m43s is how do you like the handle?

I recently bought a m43 (first kukri) here on the deal of the day. Anxiously awaiting it! After seeing that some people love the handle and a few others not so much due to slipping. My question for those of you that have experience with the m43s is how do you like the handle?

The M-43 is a serious chopper, if you use the snap technique, and let the blade do the work, not your arm. It is a beautiful blade, very elegant, and can do serious work, like all HI blades.

You will not be disappointed at all, you might catch a case of HIKV, but hopefully not a serious strain...otherwise your wallet is in major trouble...lol

How do these M43's compare to the Tamang? Just curious from you that have both. Seems like they have about the same drop, shape etc.?

The Tamang has a sharper edge profile. Leaner, thinner blade. Probably like the thinner KLVUK's. M-43's thicker, more heavy duty. Like WW2's, AK's. Joeraz's pictures explains it perfectly.

That makes sense too Conan. I didnt realize there was such a thickness difference. It looks more like a straightened out KLVUK. Thanks guys for the pics etc. Ill put them on my wish list:D Seems like the more you buy the longer your wish list gets. How does that happen?

Back