::::::M.P.C. vs. Spyderco Military :::: if i can few questions ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Extrema Ratio :)
I found 2 hours ago Extrema Ratio website and im browsing ... i love big hi-tech folders and they have few superb models, MPC and Nemesis (what nice name :)

If i can few questions ::

This knife, M.P.C. have really GREAT GREAT! design, really super "italiano" :) design, ( yes, i dont doubt, Italy have best design on the world in clothing and shoes, its true :)but ok, this bladeforums, back to knives :) ...but i think, this knife is really overpriced.

If i can compare, I have superb folder Spyderco Military, its knife for 110 usd and i think, material used on Spyderco Military is more better material than MPC folder for!! 349 usd ...

Spyderco --G10 grip plus S30V steel and Extrema Ratio --MPC N690 and colored aluminium black grip - im curious, what will look this aluminium grip by 1-2 years of wearing, perhaps raw, no??

So, basic thing, what i dont understand: why this knife cost 349 usd ??

Im sorry, nothing offensive, im asking only ... im curious girl :)

Simona,
What can I say? Spyderco makes an excellent knife. From your post I take it that you have never had a MPC in your hand. I feel your questions will be answered by actually holding a MPC and doing an honest comparison.
Value is in the eyes of the beholder. I feel that choosing a knife is really mission specific.If the Spyderco meets your needs then that is the knife for you. There is no "perfect best knife".
Whether the MPC is worth $349.00 is not for me to judge. It must be,though, because I am very backordered!!
I hope to hear from you after you have done the comparison. I do appreciate your thoughts and your comments.

Hello Extrema Ratio,

thanks for your reply, but, sorry, still i got not answer..

I was asking, why this knife is so expensive, when materials, which are used for MPC are not so hi-tech ..

This knife is so expensive for design only ?!
Yes, true, i have never had in my hand, but its reason, why i ask first, i think, knife with usual aluminium grip for 345 ??
This design is great, yes!

ATR, from Spyderco is cheaper, and grip is TITANIUM.
Carbon Fiber Police is cheaper and grip is carbon fiber.

And btw. Police VG 10 steel have HRC 60 and they dont write on blade "HRC 60" like your knives have "HRC 58" over all blade ...

If i can please, tell me, where is, or what is, extraquality for 345 usd, i think, what i saw on the internet, for 345usd knife there must be hi-tech quality, i think.

But sorry, aluminium grip ??

I've read on these forums that Spyderco doesn't follow the popular "what the market will bear" pricing that most other manufacturers use. They operate on thin margins and give the end user a lot of bang for the buck.

The questions possed relate to subjective value. I drive a BMW M3. A VW Golf would get me around as well but I choose to invest the extra money on a quality machine of limited production with extra hand assembly. Likewise, there are those who wear a Rolex instead of a Timex, use Monte Blanc instead of Bic pens etc. A Spyderco is a great knife, mass produced with assembly line construction to keep costs down, a MPC is a knife produced with high quality material with more hand work and finishing. Is it worth more to everyone, probably not. I however, am willing to invest more money in what may be my primary defense weapon to protect me and my family.

Regarding durablity, I have carried a MPC for nearly six months. The handle is showing no wear nor hint of any problem. The blade remains factory sharp. It is the quality I expect for the investment made.

Originally posted by Rundel
The questions possed relate to subjective value. I drive a BMW M3. A VW Golf would get me around as well but I choose to invest the extra money on a quality machine of limited production with extra hand assembly. Likewise, there are those who wear a Rolex instead of a Timex, use Monte Blanc instead of Bic pens etc. A Spyderco is a great knife, mass produced with assembly line construction to keep costs down, a MPC is a knife produced with high quality material with more hand work and finishing. Is it worth more to everyone, probably not. I however, am willing to invest more money in what may be my primary defense weapon to protect me and my family.

Regarding durablity, I have carried a MPC for nearly six months. The handle is showing no wear nor hint of any problem. The blade remains factory sharp. It is the quality I expect for the investment made.

Im looking sure for quality things, BUT! i ask only, when i see 345usd knife with aluminium grip, its all ....because if you want or not, aluminium is cheap material ...
What you are talking, about high quality material? About aluminium ??

Im not offensive, but what you said up, im willing to invest too ....and i ask only, when i see somewhere expensive aluminium :D
Its all.
Maybe its great folder, maybe not, i dont know, and im asking for opinions of peoples only,who own this MPC,...its reason, what im here, im asking ....
You wrote up, about Spyderco productions,hm, interesting ...Spydercos,they have titanium or carbon fiber or G-10 material on their mass production, what you noticed up,and MPC - hi-tech knife by you, aluminium..
So ...Im really confused.

Simona,

I have owned a Extrema Ratio folder, the only reason I sold it was because it was so damn heavy to carry. I think part of the reason it might be a little expensive is that it is beyond "overbuilt", these knives are built stronger than any knives I have ever owned (I have owned Mayo tnt, Sebenza, Strider GB,Spyderco police CF, etc).

P.S. Really nice photos on your website

Originally posted by Westflorida
Simona,

I have owned a Extrema Ratio folder, the only reason I sold it was because it was so damn heavy to carry. I think part of the reason it might be a little expensive is that it is beyond "overbuilt", these knives are built stronger than any knives I have ever owned (I have owned Mayo tnt, Sebenza, Strider GB,Spyderco police CF, etc).

P.S. Really nice photos on your website

Hi and thanks for your infos! :)

extremaratiobf.jpg

1024x768

Knife have damnt good design :), really wicked thingsssss, but still aluminium turn me off ...

This man below... YES!, he is from aluminium :D ...

No, seriously..i use Extrema Ratio logo from their website, if its bad, Mr.Frank please, write to here and i immediately remove it ...no problem

Have a nice blue monday :p

Ee, im sorry i forget one my question - how work this lock ??

Its manual lock only? I think, when you open this knife, blade isnt locked and you must lock it manually??
I cant see from few and not so hi-res pictures, what i found on the internet, how it work. Thanks for info.

Nemesis-Cross-Bolt.jpg

This is the Cross Bolt Safety, a totally passive system that allows you to lock the blade open (if you choose)to make it a fixed blade.

Originally posted by ExtremaRatioUSA
Nemesis-Cross-Bolt.jpg

This is the Cross Bolt Safety, a totally passive system that allows you to lock the blade open (if you choose)to make it a fixed blade.

Aha...thanks for info, but ... when i do not lock blade, it must be dangerous no ? Or when you open it and you leave it unlocked or you forget manually lock the blade, and you start manipulate with knife, blade can close a cut your fingers or so ?
Or its not so easy close unlock and opened blade ?

You are driving me NUTS. I said it is PASSIVE...it has NOTHING to do with the Lock Back System. The blade which is .25 inches thick and the spine which is .25 inches thick lock up together to make THE STRONGEST LOCKING SYSTEM ON A FOLDER MADE TODAY. You can actually remove the Cross Bolt Safety and it does not effect the back lock system.
Simona...Please look a folder in person. I truly feel that will answer alot of the questions you have that are very difficult to answer here.

Well :confused:, but if i good understand, this knife have TWO locks, one passive (make from folder "fixed" blade) and second, which work, when you open blade ...?

Hm, so yes, if your visitor, which need more detail explanations, because i first time see this knife on the picture, driving you NUTS, its really "italiano" service ...madonna mia...
End of thread, rather...

The folders have a Back Lock. When you open the blade the blades locks into the top spine making a very secure lock. The Cross Bolt Safety is not engaged UNLESS you want it engaged. If you are doing some hard extended work then you may want to engage the lock to make it even SAFER. It is not "dangerous" and the knife cannot close accidently to cut you fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back