::::::M.P.C. vs. Spyderco Military :::: if i can few questions ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
These knives cannot be fairly compared since the Nemesis sells for around $ 280 street price while the Spyderco can be found for less than $ 90.

The Nemesis is a much bigger tougher tighter locking folder than the Millie. It should be for three times the price.

Both knives are excellent in their class. The Millie is an all around EDC, the Nemesis is a combat/survival knife designed for that service.

You can't go wrong with either for their intended purpose.

I have lobbied hard over at the Spyderco forum to get Sal to make an Martial Blade Craft knife along the lines of the Nemesis.
I have assumed, if Spyderco designed and produced such a knife, it would have an MSRP similar to that of the Nemesis.

As for the Spyderco Military, it appears to have about one fourth the substance of a Nemesis.
Therefore, the Nemesis should cost four times as much instead of only three times as much. :)

Given equal materials and workmanship (I think the Nemesis has superior materials and workmanship), ER has some justification in expecting the buyer to pay for the design.
A Porsche made of the same materials as my Suzuki Swift would cost considerably more on the basis of design and desireability.

Still, I like my Suzuki Swift and I like my Spyderco Native.
They have their place.

Thanks to Simona for pushing for an explanation of the Nemesis cross bolt safety.
I didn't understand it myself until now.
I like it.

to Ken Cox :: so you see, we are smarter now!:p

....hm, simply, perhaps its really heavy duty folder :cool:

er2bf.jpg

::: NIGHVISION M.P.C. --- 1024x768

Mr.Miller, thanks for your patient explanation..

Originally posted by Burchtree
Nice Picture --

I've got an M.P.C. and have used it very hard since I've had it. Yes, the Military is a good knife, but it's in a completely different catagory as the M.P.C. Hold one of the ER folders in your hand sometime, and you'll see why it demands it's pricetag. :D

Here's a crappy pic of mine in my hand -- http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2259921

Yee, thanks for pic ..hmmm, its really BIG! NICE! :p

Here's a few more for you to help you see it better:

comperups.jpg

Originally posted by APerna
I can't imagine why Simona got so many responses!????

I can! :)

Anyway, the ER folders are far more massive than the Military, no doubt about that. I have held the ER folders (Blade West show). The Military is versatile, lightweight cutter with a lot of room to grip. The ER (Nemesis)is a steel wedge that is best for poking holes. I wouldn't really consider the Military a stabbing knife, but a slicer. They are quite different.

The original question was about price based on materials. The difference in MSRP is fairly staggering. Pricing is the result of many factors to be certain.

One person suggested that Spyderco works on "thin margins". Now, that is a bunch of poppycock. Spyderco buys them from contractors and marks them up accordingly. If a $150 knife is sold to you, I think you can guess that the contractor sells it to Spyderco for maybe $30. Yep, the contractor needs to make their profit. Spyderco needs to cover their design time and make a profit. The distributor needs their profit and the dealer needs their profit. Spyderco makes thousands of knives per year, if not more.

I haven't the slightest idea how many folders ER makes in a year, but I think you can safely assume it does not approach the volume of Spyderco. They only started making the folders a year or so ago.

Bottom line, I think is that the materials are but a small part of the equation. It is the machining, labor and intellectual property that really add to the cost. Spyderco can spread their costs among all the folders in their line, ER can spread it across very few.

Simona, check out the Cutters Knife and Tool knives if you want to opine about MSRP and materials used. I think the CKT Brend is a lot closer to the size and mass of the ER folders and has very different materials as well.

Ok, thank for all infos, what i got here and i will not pester here farther ..., --last one, Nemesis wallpaper ---ForExtremaRatioBladeFans :)
Ciao

er3bf.jpg

NEMESIS 1024x768

Simona, BTW, aluminum isn't 100% accurate.
I think it's probably aircraft aluminum, which isn't a cheap alloy.

Originally posted by Walking Man
Simona, BTW, aluminum isn't 100% accurate.
I think it's probably aircraft aluminum, which isn't a cheap alloy.

Dude. What do you mean by "aircraft aluminum"? Aluminum comes in many alloys. I don't remember which one ER is using, but "aircraft aluminum" is the same as saying "surgical stainless steel".

BTW, what is the price difference between "aircraft" aluminum and "garbage scow" aluminum? Let us know.

Originally posted by Architect
Dude. What do you mean by "aircraft aluminum"? Aluminum comes in many alloys. I don't remember which one ER is using, but "aircraft aluminum" is the same as saying "surgical stainless steel".
"Dude", What is your problem? I'm not a metallurgist, or I would have given a better answer. Go buy a clue. I've heard of other companies using aircraft aluminum and read here on the forums that it's much better than alumimum.
And since you didn't read or understand my first post, I SAID "PROBABLY".

Anticorodal aluminum.

http://www.alcan-sc.com/downloadables/English_datasheets/ac110.pdf

Use for decorative machined parts. Appears to be used primarily in Italy. Is used for fencing (weapon) guards.

My point, WM, is that there is no such thing as "aircraft aluminum". Posts that uses terms like these remind me of "garbage in, garbage out".

I apologize to Frank for hijacking his forum.

Anticorodal seems to be a convenient material used in manufacturing in Italy. The original question, related to pricing relative to materials is still is an interesting one.

It has been commonly stated by other manufacturer's about the expense and difficulty in manufacturing from titanium. Aluminum is easily obtained and machinable. I have spoken recently with a custom knife maker about this very issue. Bottom line, the pricing on these knives is not being driven by the materials. Maybe the design?

Architect, what you say may be true, but a number of well known companies use that term. I think. Either way, I'm not going to spend any more time looking into it, however any further info by anyone will be appreciated.

Okay, I lied, I was curious.
6061-T6 aircraft aluminum is listed for almost every knife manufacterer of knives, INCLUDING Microtech, and those that do not mention "6061-T6", INCLUDING Spyderco still refer to the material they use as aircraft aluminum.
I think it is a much better idea to trust a couple of major manufacturers of high quality knives more than any individual.

Simona, I see you take very good pictures. How about one Extrema Ratio MPC calendar wallpaper for month of November 2003?

Originally posted by golok
Simona, I see you take very good pictures. How about one Extrema Ratio MPC calendar wallpaper for month of November 2003?

Hi :) ...why not, ...i came back from the village trip now ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back