M-Tech

I have handled a lot of them and some are not bad for the price! They make a bunch of wild looking ones but they also make some that look real good for the money! For the price it wont hurt to try one if you see one you like. Good Luck! Kevin :D

Mostly crap, but there are a few good ones, like kda said. Also, I forgot if it was mtech or not, but a small knife company was ripping off designs from custom makers.

I have a few M-Techs, and though they're not built to be strong knives, they do light duty, and they do it well. They typically will cut better than most no-name crap knives and the finish on the black coated ones I have is appealing. In fact, back in the 1960s the Japanese used what appears to be the same stuff on optical equipment like microscopes, telescopes and binoculars. I don't know what that coating consists of, but it seems to be the same as the one on my M-Techs, and it seems to wear much better than that baked-on teflon finish that Cold Steel uses. (I love that coating's look, but it doesn't wear.)

The manufacturers of M-Tech knives seem to do well in presenting their product. Each knife comes in an attractive box and has a tightening tool for the main pivot. These are nice touches for an inexpensive knife. The letters are stamped in gold and the handles are some of the most comfortable I've ever used on a knife. They also go an extra step, it seems, by making their blades from 440A steel rather than the 420 that other Chinese manufacturers use. I've been told by an American distributor who says he's seen the manufacturing facilities in China, that M-Tech workers, given the limitations of the product's design and their own manufacturing limitations, take pride in the product. Obviously, they don't believe they can compete in any way on the high end knives, but according to what this fellow said, the management gets somewhat testy if their knives are dismissed as "junk."

I've carried my M-Tech folder on occasion and it's one I like playing with. It opens easily, keeps its edge well and is stronger than it appears. The blade is solid and the G10 scales are steel-reinforced. Even the thumb studs are plated! The fasteners aren't off like they are in some "el cheapo" knives, and for a linerlock, the two knives I have lock solidly with no excess.

I'm not about to make my M-Tech my EDC by any means, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy some for my kids. If I had to say anything negative about them, it's that they look to be much better knives than they are, and I'm not too sure that's a criticism. Anyway, I'd rather have this M-Tech than most Gerbers I've seen lately. It's worth having one, if only as a beater.

M-TechMT-005B.jpg

The M-Tech USA, like other Chinese knives, is a lie. They hope to market
knives to a U.S. audience and only in the fine print do you see that the design
is U.S., though it's manufactured in China.

MTech440.jpg

CheapKnives_2.jpg

The M-Tech (top) is better than the run-of-the-mill Chinese stuff.

Last edited:
Back