M1

I liked mine so much, that I bought a second one. I actually like it better than the M4.

M1 vs T.R.E.
Lionsteel_M1_TRE.jpg

Waiting for the Walnut in the mail. I’ve been looking for a discreet but capable casual woods-bumming knife, and I’m excited to give this a try.

Any reports on how it performs? Comfy with hard carving of wood?

Took it on a walk to trim some branches on a trail. Fantastic steel, so compact of a package, loved it.

After washing the pine sap off when we got home, the walnut handles feel rougher, like they expanded a bit from getting rinsed under the tap. It doesn’t seem like they’re stabilized. Maybe I’ll have to learn how to treat them so they’re water resistant. Any ideas?

It’s such a great size to drop in a back pocket for an impromptu walk in the woods.

38885255542_bef88b3e59_b.jpg

Dangerously Dangerously beautiful M1, congrats!

I have an M4 in walnut, and I use linseed oil or Ballistol to treat the handle, fwiw.

Enjoy your blade!

Thanks for the advice. This caught me off guard, as I have a year old M4 in cocobolo, and there’s no drying out at all. I was just surprised at the speed of it. Cold, dry air here in the winter, but still, it’s fast. I’ll look for some linseed oil.

38923235591_6fecff8bcf_b.jpg

This shot is about 6 hours after unpacking. It went on one 20 min walk, cut some pine boughs, and got washed in the sink. Water got on the handle during washing. Then it felt rough. I’ll see what it looks like after I oil it.

I finally got a M1 just this past week. Great knife. the only problem is my wife used it a couple times and it looks like it is about to become HER M1.

Grizz

I oiled the scales to keep them in decent shape. It’s a great size for an ungloved hand, and actually fits somewhat well in a front pocket! This is going to see a lot of use in the non-winter months. It broke down easily, as the pics above attest.

27817823999_ed44d3fd1c_b.jpg

I can’t see any good way to sand down the rough bits on the scales without ruining the nice grooved contours, though. I’ve just left it for now.

Well, I was looking forward to ordering a Walnut M1, but might have to go with G10 instead.

For those who've kept their wood treated with some type of oil have you seen any swelling/cracking/splintering? I don't plan on getting the knife very wet but I'm sure it will happen.

Hi,
i have tried checking the weight on the lionsteel official site and the M1 in wood is supposed to be 135g while the G10 is only 83g, is that even possible?

BladeHQ does a good job of doing their own specs. Here’s what they have for each M1 model:

Black G-10: 3.26 oz.
Orange G-10: 3.28 oz.
Walnut: 2.52 oz.
Olive: 2.75 oz.
Santos: 2.77 oz.

For those who've kept their wood treated with some type of oil have you seen any swelling/cracking/splintering? I don't plan on getting the knife very wet but I'm sure it will happen.

After oiling, the scales have so far been stable. They haven’t warped or swollen that I can see. And we have had a rollercoaster of humidity this winter.

I can see why cocobolo is so often used for this stuff. I haven’t oiled my m4 cocobolo scales and they still look shiny and new despite being almost a year older than the m1.

Happy with both, but I’d probably lean to the cocobolo next time just because I’m lazy.

homemade kydex sheath
aba9B59.jpg

I liked mine so much, that I bought a second one. I actually like it better than the M4.

M1 vs T.R.E.
Lionsteel_M1_TRE.jpg

Anyone care to speak to the grind/thickness behind the edge? I like the looks of this knife, and it's way more appealing than the other M390 options in this class, especially at that pricepoint. I'm just wondering if it is going to need a regrind to perform the way I like my knives to perform (super slicey). I had hold of a TRE once, very briefly, and it was pretty thick behind the edge.

Thanks!

Its very thick behind the edge.i couldn't believe how thick it was so i had to reprofile it..

Now its much better.
Hope that helps

I like the bead on the M1. Where can I find the bead only for sale? It’s a screw system bead.

Back