Recommendation? M4 Bailout or Bugout, or a G10 Para 3?

Title says it. I am equipped to sharpen whatever. I am torn here. I like the M4, but not sure between those two options, or if I should just skip both and get a G10 Para 3 in some variety. I already own a Para 3 LW and like the ergos but want something more substantial. I had a CF Elite Bugout, but felt the same way and sold it planning on buying the m4 version.

None of the bugouts feel substantial, granted I havent handled the new aluminum one so someone else can speak on that. The bailout is slightly more substantial.

The para 3 contours to my hand alot better, and spyderco does good work smoothing out the edges of the G10 to make it very comfortable. Granted none of the para 3 steels are for toughness so that's the only place it gets beat by M4...you'll have to shell out for a sprint.

May I point you to the hogue deka? There are quite a few short stout knives out, shouldn't be hard to find!

None of the bugouts feel substantial, granted I havent handled the new aluminum one so someone else can speak on that. The bailout is slightly more substantial.

The para 3 contours to my hand alot better, and spyderco does good work smoothing out the edges of the G10 to make it very comfortable. Granted none of the para 3 steels are for toughness so that's the only place it gets beat by M4...you'll have to shell out for a sprint.

May I point you to the hogue deka? There are quite a few short stout knives out, shouldn't be hard to find!
I appreciate the input. I’ve handled the Deka and considered it and I’m just out for one of those three at this point. Have you handled the G10/M4 Bugout?

The bugout is much more compact. The para3 is comfortable but the handle is very bulky for the blade you get. Bugout carries much better and has a more useful blade so I'd take it over the para3 any day.

If I needed a knife to just straight up cut stuff, the Bailout wins. If I decided I absolutely needed a little belly just in case, then the Para 3 wins no matter the steel. Random Dan is correct about the Bugout, but it would still be off the table for me because I like the Para 3 so much more and it seems as if you may be leaning that way too. If you're really considering a Bugout, check out the g10 or titanium scale options from SMKW.

I have a G10 20CV bugout and the diamond patterned G10 is a little slippery. If you're set on the bugout I'd save the money and get the CF elite one...actually I think GladeBQ has a sale on it right now, one of those "add to cart to see price".

M4 bugout? Those are like 200+ and (to me) totally overpriced. But yes, I wpuld say those are the toughest bugout you can get. Yes at that price point, might as well get a bailout.

Try something in the Spyderco line up in k390, this stuff is amazing, sharpen it up once and you are good to go for a long time

I have an M4 bailout that I modified to drop point - love it bc of the steel and thin profile and sturdiness and adequate hand real estate. It is my EDC. Sold my titanium bugout, the bailout is a much better user for me
BUT the green finish on the edges of the handles wears off easily.

Since you already have (or had) variations of the PM3 and Bugout, I would go with the M4 Bailout. It is larger and more substantial than the Bugout. I have a standard Bugout, an M4 Bailout, and a PM3 (G10). The M4 bailout is the only one of the 3 that I really enjoy.

With all that being said, a PM2 was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.

I ended up going with the M4 Bugout. It was the first knife that started this most recent itch. I figured I’ll never scratch it if I don’t get one. So, that’s my route. I figure I can always wait on another Para 3 Sprint, and I went and handled a Bailout at my local brick and mortar, and I just didn’t dig it. I know the handle is very similar to the Bugout, but I didn’t care for the extra ramp, and I really just can’t go tanto at the moment.

I’d like to thank everyone for their input. I appreciate it.

I hear nothing but good things, I would have gone for the bail personally as it's more rugged, but my usecase scenario and priorities are different to most.

Title says it. I am equipped to sharpen whatever. I am torn here. I like the M4, but not sure between those two options, or if I should just skip both and get a G10 Para 3 in some variety. I already own a Para 3 LW and like the ergos but want something more substantial. I had a CF Elite Bugout, but felt the same way and sold it planning on buying the m4 version.
All great choices. I recently got the aluminum scaled bailout and it makes a difference. It feels more substantial than the bugout. But the bug has its own place. The para 3 is a solid choice as well. The bailout has less variations and you may or may not like the colors and having a para3 should probably point me to a new one. Lastly I really love tanto blades so for me it would be the bailout. I do have all 3 and love them all. The alum scaled bailout was a bit more than most bugouts and para3s. Hope that didn’t make things worse

Since you already own a P3, I'm going for the Bugout. Honestly you could buy an M4 Bugout with the Grivory handles and put some Flytanium G10 on yourself for the cost of the Bailout. I'm not a fan of aluminum handles even thought the Bailout aluminum does look nice.

The M4 Bugout probably isn't going to feel any more substantial than the CF Elite version; there's only so much you can do with a knife that weighs around 2oz. It also seems sort of antithetical to have "hard use" M4 steel in a super-lightweight knife.

The G10 Para3 has full steel liners that beef it up substantially compared to the LW version.

I think the bail on the Bailout is right up there with Microtech's glass breaker as a useless and ugly addition to a knife.

Back