M43 after CAK: Help decide on multi functional knife

A friend wants to know how to buy from the Yahoo HI website and ship the knife, probably an M43, to Canada. Inputting USPS Priority Mail into the online form does not increment the price (USD 255). Does my friend need to purchase international shipping separately? Thanks for any help.

Also: is the M43 as shown on the Yahoo site an 18"? That's not specified.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to have your friend call or email Yangdu directly. I know she sends knives to Canada and she'll have the answers we seek.
I've heard it's quite expensive to ship them to Canada so International shipping might be involved.
Sorry I don't have a for sure answer for you.

Thanks so much gentlemen, Yangdu emailed/confirmed the process we need to follow. Apparently my Canadian pal needs to buy International Shipping first off the website, then buy the knife.

Then of course the Customs duty...

Robust covers a lot.

CAK - You're going to be able to chop anything with it. Dedicated tool. Heavy. You'll tire out quicker.

M-43 - Still going to chop...pretty much anything. The edge profile and blade shape make up for the lesser weight. Straddles the line between multi-tool and weapon well, leans a bit towards the weapon side. Still thick enough to stand up to anything you throw at it. WildMike used his while building a couple log cabins.

The M-43, with its curved spine....well, mine feels like an extension of my arm. The balance and the flow is just right, easy to aim, etc. But when I'm using the CAK, it's like swinging an axe. For me, it's a little ungainly, and thus don't use it as much.

If you're between the CAK and M43, pick the M43. (Keep the BAS in mind though. It's a wonderful little jack of all trades knife. M43 just beats it because of size and weight, means it has better chopping performance. BAS could do cleanup jobs round the yard just fine.)

Now...if you're looking for something that goes through vines and thin wood easier, you've got a whole different set of models to look at. Sirupati, Gelbu Special, Chainpuri, Chitlangi, etc. The thicker blades just kind of push it out of the way without cutting.

My question:

I've been researching anything and everything related to the M43 over the weekend for the friend, from the point of view of locating a multi functional knife for this guy. That's why I thought of the M43 (must admit to being influenced by Wildmike and others, you know who you are.)

For someone who owns a CAK, as in someone who uses it as a dedicated chopper for camping/bushcraft, would an M43 be mere duplication of the chopping functionality that the CAK offers? He is also looking for versatility when it comes to self defense. Your thoughts are very welcome.

How about an all purpose knife like a YCS (as someone new here, I guess they are hard to come by?)

Open to any and all recommendations. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. YCS at 32 Oz even if available might be a tad on the heavier side. Will update. Do you have any thoughts/experience on the M43?

Dang that was quick Mr Azar :)...

Thanks much for the videos, will view tonight and also share with the decision maker.

I know you have a super fast M43 by Kumar (?) Which was partly why I recommended this model to my friend.

IMG_0429.jpg This is a Gopte made by Kami Dhan.

This is what he used in one video to process the deer and the other to chop a tree down.
I used a BAS yesterday to chop some saplings out of a flower bed.

Gopte, this word, is new to me. Looks like an M43 but with a fuller belly? How big? What's she weigh? What's the edge like?

Gopte, this word, is new to me. Looks like an M43 but with a fuller belly? How big? What's she weigh? What's the edge like?
It wasn't until I saw the video about a Gopte that I inquired on the video about it. Redeagletrapping responded....he's a very nice guy....and told me about it. I contacted Ms Yangdu about it and she said she had a few left, one for my collection and one hot hers.
She said this Kami is no longer with her.
I would compare it to a 15" M43.

Yes my 2 M43's by Kumar are thinner and weigh approximately 27oz at 18"!

I forgot to tell you about the Gopte it's 15-16" and feels really good for me. Faster than the CAK but more weight forward for chopping. It could be used as a weapon, for me. It's not too slow moving. It definitely has the belly to chop with!

Last edited:
Personally haven't done nearly enough camping/bushcrafting/self-defending to be qualified comparing the two in the use.
However side by side 18in 31oz M43 by Purna and 17in 32oz CAK by Lacchu, the CAK has more angle from the spine leaving the point lower and feels more tip-heavy than M43, which I think makes CAK more inclined for chopping and less agile for self-defense
M43 CAK_625.jpg
M43 CAK blades_625.jpg

Watch the 2 videos to see what you think! I'll post another video of the Gopte as I just remembered redeagletrapping showed a nick on the edge of the Gopte from chopping into bone!

Mr Joeraz: thanks so much for the shots showing the difference between the M43/CAK.

Mr Azar: reaching for a cold beverage to watch your videos as I write ;)

Back