M43 after CAK: Help decide on multi functional knife

Since this M43 will be a beater, I'm wondering if I should add a rubber grip to it, which I recall seeing in a NutnFancy video he made about the M43.

I was on Amazon India earlier and saw a rubber grip for a cricket bat (that's right we don't play much baseball here) which looks like it was just made for a 4.5" M43 handle! Have any of you gentlemen tried fixing a similar grip to any of your khukuris?

Last edited:
Bawanna, there's much in what you say. My hand does move around a fair bit when the M43 goes about its business.

That said: Will give the rubber grip a shot and decide.

Rubber grip was a bust. Let me explain.

The grip is meant to fit over a cylindrical object (a cricket bat handle). It fitted over the flared butt of the knife handle with some difficulty. As I stretched it towards the (white metal) bolster it did make some headway but then tore. I tried another grip but by stretching it over the blade this time. I could get it a quarter of the way over but then realized I'd only end up tearing it again.

I should have bought a roll of Tournagrip instead. I will stay with just the horn handle for now.

Rubber grip was a bust. Let me explain.

The grip is meant to fit over a cylindrical object (a cricket bat handle). It fitted over the flared butt of the knife handle with some difficulty. As I stretched it towards the (white metal) bolster it did make some headway but then tore. I tried another grip but by stretching it over the blade this time. I could get it a quarter of the way over but then realized I'd only end up tearing it again.

I should have bought a roll of Tournagrip instead. I will stay with just the horn handle for now.
I would suggest sending it to Bawanna for checkering but the postage would cost you as much as a knife!

Thanks Mr Azar. You're right, it sure would!

Speaking of handles, the Fiebings Neatsfoot oil just arrived. I've heard good things about the product, and just applied a liberal coat over the horn handle. Intend repeating this in a couple days.

If you want texture you can take some sandpaper to it and kind of knock the shine off, that helps immensely.
Another trick we used to use on our framing hammer handles was to take a hand saw and drag it kind of sideways and backwards across the handle. This basically resulted in non refined checkering. Works very well.
Keep hitting it with the Neatsfoot regardless.

Thanks Bawanna, just used a ScotchBrite scouring pad to take the shine off and it worked a treat. That was before the Neatsfoot oil treatment!

The Neatsfoot oil is needed to hydrate the horn. If when you apply it it's still too slippery hit it with the scotchbrite again or some course sandpaper. I think it will work much better than a rubber wrap.

M43 horn handle overhaul update: Just finished soaking it for 48 hours in a bottle full of Neatsfoot oil. Unlike my other experience with the CAK/double boiled linseed oil, this time no apparent reduction in oil level. It's probably only my imagination but the horn handle feels smoother...as a grip test I went after some banyan root outside my house. One fast swing and the root literally blasted apart! This one is a heavy duty chopper for sure! Full disclosure: I did touch the blade with a butchers steel just prior.

M43 horn handle overhaul update: Just finished soaking it for 48 hours in a bottle full of Neatsfoot oil. Unlike my other experience with the CAK/double boiled linseed oil, this time no apparent reduction in oil level. It's probably only my imagination but the horn handle feels smoother...as a grip test I went after some banyan root outside my house. One fast swing and the root literally blasted apart! This one is a heavy duty chopper for sure! Full disclosure: I did touch the blade with a butchers steel just prior.
The M43 Really chops doesn't it!!!

Back