M43 and BLO ?

I've been applying BLO to my handle after a light sanding a wiping it down with acetone . The problem is it doesn't seem to want to absorb it ? It remains dull looking just like I just sanded it .

I suspect your light sanding isn't getting through the polishing compound. Maybe try a courser grit to get through and then back to finer and finer so your in the wood.
I'm not sure how the acetone would play into the scenario, I've never used it for this purpose.

I suspect your light sanding isn't getting through the polishing compound. Maybe try a courser grit to get through and then back to finer and finer so your in the wood.
I'm not sure how the acetone would play into the scenario, I've never used it for this purpose.

My concern was getting to aggressive and possibly causing an issue with the peened pins holding the wooden slabs securely ?

You will not cause an issue with those pins. They are usually aluminum, they go clear through and they are Laha'd in place. It's their version of epoxy, kind of tree sap but strong stuff.
I've replaced a few handles and those slabs are really on there.

Sand right over the pins, no worries, polish them with the finer sand paper or the buffer when you get what you want.

My concern was getting to aggressive and possibly causing an issue with the peened pins holding the wooden slabs securely ?

Sand right over em like bawanna said, i sanded my 43 down then used a rasp and got it real rough then a metal file to get the pins smooth, you wont hurt it one bit go easy and slow but use pressure no worries

I will do an update once the snowy cold weather breaks as I took mine way down for my hands.

Back